Author Topic: Velo Build R-099 Build  (Read 38180 times)

Snacks

Velo Build R-099 Build
« on: December 29, 2020, 04:37:06 PM »
Got my frame a few weeks ago but was having soo much fun riding it after i finished the build I got lazy with starting this thread  :P

Heres the finished product!

55mm carbon wheels
shimano 105 R7020 groupset
Selle Aspide saddle
Supacaz super sticky kush galaxy bar tape
conti tubes and tires

*btw i know the saddle is a tilted a bit up in these pics. i angled it down before riding :)

Snacks

Re: Velo Build R-099 Build
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 04:37:47 PM »
got the build on video , ill take some pics while i edit it to add to the thread

FHS

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 06:26:50 PM »
Looks great, thanks for posting these! Looking forward to seeing the video.

52-36 rings? What cassette are you running?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 06:28:57 PM by FHS »

Snacks

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 07:28:45 PM »
Yup, 52-36 crank and an 11-32 cassette since it's a bit hilly around me

carbonazza

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2020, 05:29:49 AM »
It looks so neat !
How was the cable/hoses routing ?

Snacks

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2020, 09:15:19 AM »
Thanks man!

Guiding them through the frame was pretty easy all the way up to the head tube. The hard part was getting those through the handlebars. I could get either shifter cable or brake hoses through but not both because the handlebar has two 90 degree bends to pass them through. I was also trying to avoid purchasing the park tool cable routing kit since it's around $70 for just cables and magnets. I gave in after a few hours of unsuccessful attempts and purchased the kit . it made the whole thing a ton easier . Got it done in about 10-15min after that. 

Now to convince my friends to get internally routed frames so I can use this kit a bit more  ;D

carbonazza

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 09:56:33 AM »
If one day you loose your cables and magnets, the ZTTO is fine too ;)
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0LFPmt

Snacks

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2020, 12:29:25 PM »
i actually tried that one first since it was considerably cheaper but it doesnt work as well unfortunately . the hydraulic hose fitting can only be connected to the short cable with the magnet and the magnets arent strong enough to bend hydraulic cable housing through the frame or handlebars. As soon as you try pulling the hose around any bend the magnets just come apart. thats why i had to use the park tool version. 

i did find ztto on facebook, or at least i think its the company, and let them know that it doesnt really work. so hopefully they release a version where the hydraulic hose fitting can be connected to the longer cable

carbonazza

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2020, 03:22:38 PM »
You're right, when things gets tough I use a very clever little end cable that screws into the hose.
I received a pair with a Campagnolo road hydro/groupset and keep them well stored.
You can then pass a shifter cable through it, that stays aligned with the hose.
Drive the cable through the frame.
And pull the hose, even with force.

Does the parktool kit use magnets as well?
That are strong enough?

My initial question was about the handlebar/stem/headset routing.
I'm not sure I look forward to my first time build  :D

Snacks

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2020, 04:46:01 PM »
what you're describing kind of sounds like what i used form the park tool kit.
one of the four cables it has is a long cable with a magnet on one end and a metal fitting that you can screw into shifter housing or the hydraulic hose on the other end.
so i pulled the magnet side through the handlebars first and then screwed the other side into the housing/hose and pulled them through using the cable. it did require a bit of force around the bends but wasnt too much trouble.

Honestly, reading other people stories and trying it with the ztto kit / other methods made the whole thing a bigger headache than it had to be. it really wasnt that bad with the right tool and it sounds like you already have something similar if not exactly the same so shouldnt be much trouble

Snacks

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2020, 04:53:42 PM »
on another note, i cant decide if i should throw some 650b wheels with some bigger tires on this frame for some gravel riding and then build up and mtb or just build up a gravel bike next

Spinner

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2021, 08:51:00 PM »
Hi, that's a nice build. I'm new to the forum and have been considering a similar roadie build as I've physically outgrown my 17inch 08 mtb commuter. If you don't mind sharing, what was the overall cost for the project minus the group-set? Does the frame seem fairly stiff/durable? I'm a fairly heavy rider at 90kg and with multiple off saddle climbs/sprints on my commute, I've been slightly concerned with frame strength as I have not been able to test ride a budget carbon frame.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

Snacks

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2021, 10:37:31 AM »
Hey thanks!
The cost minus the groupset was about $1000. Although I got the wheels while they were on sale on 11/11.
I was actually worried about the same since I'm at 230lbs, I think that's around 104kg. I was assured by both velobuild and csc that it would be fine. There are a lot of hills in my area so I've had more than a few off saddle climbs and so far no issues. No power meter yet so I don't really know if I'm putting the same power to the bb as I did on my steel bike but I am going a hell of a lot faster.

Spinner

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2021, 11:51:18 AM »
Thanks for the response. That's just the testimony I'm looking for.

robvincep

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2021, 08:45:35 PM »
Hey,

I also just ordered one of these frames and am in the process of collecting all the parts for it when it arrives. Can you tell me what size rotors the frame can accommodate? a bunch of chinese frames seem to be 140/140 but I can't tell from your photos.

Thanks!