Author Topic: FM1001 / FM1156 - 135mm frame  (Read 83406 times)

groussere

Re: FM1001 / FM1156 - 135mm frame
« Reply #225 on: March 13, 2022, 09:52:09 PM »
My price breakdown was as follows:

750 USD for frame-M-BSA73  with standard matte finish
15 USD for headset
15 USD for rear axle
5 USD for   derailleur hanger (the frame comes with one derailleur hanger )
195 USD by Air ,shipping time is about 7-15 days
125 USD for painting
4.5% Paypal fee (about $49)

$1154 was my total. Katie was really good about keeping me informed of the status of the frame, and she sent pictures of the finished frame before it was shipped over.

Total time from ordering until it arrived at my door was about 5 weeks. Not sure if this would have been shorter if I didn't have it custom painted.

gd3fit

« Reply #226 on: March 14, 2022, 02:54:45 AM »
Just received my Carbonda fm1001 from Katie, looks great. I just took a quick pic right out of the box.

I had it painted by them, the color is purple/green chameleon. Total cost shipped to Colorado was $1154.

Just starting to build it up, but wondering about frame protection.

@Neb, where did you get your chainstay protector and downtube/bottom bracket protection? I'm really liking the way yours looks and fits.

Thanks!

Color looks great! I gotta ask how did you describe your color/paint scheme for them to paint it? I’d be interested in a sort of blue with purple glitter / chameleon look but not sure how that would be done. Did you just ask them for purple green chameleon effect? With RAL colors? What RAL code is your purple? Thanks!

G161

« Reply #227 on: March 14, 2022, 03:41:18 AM »
Here is a quote I got. Debating on what I want to get.

750USD/pcs
15USD for headset
15USD for rear axle
190USD for shipping cost

Then others mentioned 5USD for rear hanger.

Then that leaves a little over 175 for paint job?

As for sizing. Any thoughts on 5’6” (168cm) tal with 29.5” inseam (75cm)? Geometry reminds me a lot of my Trance X. Same rear shock travel. I ride a medium in that but some days it feels too big for me. Might be the Standover and the seat tube length. I’m leaning toward a small on this frame FM1001.

Look at https://www.llbmtb.com/ . Lee has a different approach to reach and size, but it seems to work. He doesn't agree with these super long bikes.

Hope this helps.

ShepCO

« Reply #228 on: March 14, 2022, 08:59:27 PM »
I received my FM1001 XL today.  $1,024 shipped to Colorado which took about 5 weeks.  Box was a little tattered but no damage to the frame.  Overall quality seems great at first review.  Frame was 2,738 grams out of the box.  A little heaver than I had hoped, but close enough.

I am going to try to wrap it using a Ride Wrap kit for an XL Transition Sentinel.  Frames seem close and I will need to do some trimming.  We'll see if that will work.  It might be a disaster. 

Plan to build it up over the next few weeks.

groussere

« Reply #229 on: March 14, 2022, 09:45:57 PM »
Color looks great! I gotta ask how did you describe your color/paint scheme for them to paint it? I’d be interested in a sort of blue with purple glitter / chameleon look but not sure how that would be done. Did you just ask them for purple green chameleon effect? With RAL colors? What RAL code is your purple? Thanks!

Hi gd3fit,

Katie from Carbonda sent me a few pictures of the Purple/green chameleon, it wasn't a RAL color but it was already a pre-determined color scheme from them. I'm sure you could ask her for your colors and see what she says. They may have something like it already.

gd3fit

« Reply #230 on: March 14, 2022, 10:02:14 PM »
Hi gd3fit,

Katie from Carbonda sent me a few pictures of the Purple/green chameleon, it wasn't a RAL color but it was already a pre-determined color scheme from them. I'm sure you could ask her for your colors and see what she says. They may have something like it already.

Thanks. I’ll do that. Been talking to Adam on Skype. Hopefully they can help.

Neb

« Reply #231 on: March 16, 2022, 04:39:53 PM »

Just starting to build it up, but wondering about frame protection.

@Neb, where did you get your chainstay protector and downtube/bottom bracket protection? I'm really liking the way yours looks and fits.

Thanks!

My chainstay and downtube protector are the original ones from the Nukeproof Mega, they are £10 each from chainreaction cycles. They stick well and only need minor trimming.

groussere

« Reply #232 on: March 20, 2022, 06:30:01 PM »
Thanks Neb for the info. I will look into that.

Just a heads up for anyone doing their own cable routing for this frame, it's a pain! I had a helluva time getting the housing through the frame, especially through the rear linkage. I ended up removing the bottom linkage near the bottom bracket to get more room to get the housing through. There is a sharp turn coming from the bottom bracket, out to the rear derailleur or rear brake line. I couldn't get the housing through from the derailleur/brake forwards to the bottom bracket, so I had to work from the bottom linkage backwards. For some reason the route to the rear derailleur was especially tough, the housing kept getting caught on something on the route. I had to cover my housing end with duct tape and a bit of grease to get it to slip through.

I used this method for getting it from the bottom bracket up to the dropper post or to the headset/bars, which worked fairly well:

Freda

« Reply #233 on: March 21, 2022, 01:53:35 AM »
So i have now over half a year on this frame and I am pleased so far.

It was meant for trail riding and for this purpose it works well. Actually it is better on the downhills then I expected, but that can also be because I run it mullet so it is slacker and lower. At some point I will switch to 29” in the back because I would like the steeper seattube. Now I run the saddle slammed forward. I really see no negatives with steep seattube.

People have already pointed out the hassle to run the cables in the frame. I also noticed running them front to back seems to work best. Another thing is the rubber grommets, they are very tight and with both the brake and gear cable in the same grommet I never got it seated properly so now I have lost it.

The bolts need tightening regularly, but that is normal. The upper shock bolt is just crap quality, need to replace that one soon.

The seatstays gather water, when riding in the wet or washing the bike, there is always water in there. Turning the bike upside down empties it.

Sizing for me is good, L size and I am 179cm with 84cm inseam. Running 50mm stem, I tried a 35mm stem and that was nice going down but felt cramped while seated. I think I could run the XL but not the M, depends of course on the kind of riding one is doing.

Overall a good frame with modern geometry and suspension that works well.

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #234 on: March 21, 2022, 02:29:18 AM »
Do you notice any problems with the rubber grommets removed? Dirt getting in the openings?

I’m hoping to get the ones on my 1002 seated better and make them stay put but if I can’t, I’ve been wondering what it’s like to ride the bike without them long term.

emu26

« Reply #235 on: March 21, 2022, 02:46:42 AM »
Do you notice any problems with the rubber grommets removed? Dirt getting in the openings?

I’m hoping to get the ones on my 1002 seated better and make them stay put but if I can’t, I’ve been wondering what it’s like to ride the bike without them long term.

Did you try what I suggested?

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #236 on: March 21, 2022, 01:23:08 PM »

I’m having a local mechanic try redoing the routing along those lines. Won’t hear from him for a few more days at least.

I managed okay with my first try (and the rest of the initial build), but I’m a disabled rider with severe autoimmune arthritis and tend to get really beat up by late winter storms around here so I decided to have him give it a shot rather than destroy my back and maybe still not get it right.

Once that’s taken care of, I’ll probably start my own build thread with more regular updates about what I’m up to with that bike.

Freda

« Reply #237 on: March 22, 2022, 01:03:00 AM »

Well I just recently lost it, but didn’t notice anything yet.

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #238 on: March 22, 2022, 02:40:31 PM »

Just picked the bike up from the mechanic, he wasn’t able to get them to stay perfectly in place (tried everything either of us could think of, complete disassembly, forcing the cables to sit straight with an interior zip tie, you name it) but did get them so they don’t pull out or bind nearly as much on movement.

I’m going to try it like this since the grommets still form a decent seal this way, and if they become a problem again I’ll probably try removing them.

Not exactly the complete resolution I was hoping for but it’ll do for now.

zilcho

« Reply #239 on: March 22, 2022, 07:12:01 PM »
Just picked the bike up from the mechanic, he wasn’t able to get them to stay perfectly in place (tried everything either of us could think of, complete disassembly, forcing the cables to sit straight with an interior zip tie, you name it) but did get them so they don’t pull out or bind nearly as much on movement.

I’m going to try it like this since the grommets still form a decent seal this way, and if they become a problem again I’ll probably try removing them.

Not exactly the complete resolution I was hoping for but it’ll do for now.

Would this issue be better, worse, the same if using AXS with just a brake line running through it?