Author Topic: FM1002 / FM1166 - 150mm frame  (Read 65025 times)

FullCarbonAlchemist

Re: FM1002 / FM1166 - 150mm frame
« Reply #315 on: May 17, 2024, 12:22:00 AM »
Which were the 4 bearings that were most beat up? I have some guesses…

Were the trunnion bearings among them? That seems to have been common.

My plan is to use the Carbonda provided kit for the F6902 bearings between the rocker and seat stays (if I understand which goes where correctly), and Enduro Max for everything else. The hardware in the kit will be backups in case the main pivot axle or any bolts get stripped/corroded. They’re awfully soft, like the Carbonda provided UDH hangers which I’ve all replaced with Wheels Manufacturing.

Hopefully this and a spring tune (new Shimano 12 speed got one ride last fall and was never fully dialed) will get rid of my various creaks and clunks. I mostly rode my FM1003 last year and wasn’t able to ride nearly enough due to very poor weather in New England…but am eager to get the 1002 back in rotation.

bossman302

« Reply #316 on: May 17, 2024, 03:48:36 PM »
Which were the 4 bearings that were most beat up? I have some guesses…

Were the trunnion bearings among them? That seems to have been common.

My plan is to use the Carbonda provided kit for the F6902 bearings between the rocker and seat stays (if I understand which goes where correctly), and Enduro Max for everything else. The hardware in the kit will be backups in case the main pivot axle or any bolts get stripped/corroded. They’re awfully soft, like the Carbonda provided UDH hangers which I’ve all replaced with Wheels Manufacturing.

Hopefully this and a spring tune (new Shimano 12 speed got one ride last fall and was never fully dialed) will get rid of my various creaks and clunks. I mostly rode my FM1003 last year and wasn’t able to ride nearly enough due to very poor weather in New England…but am eager to get the 1002 back in rotation.

Yes they were. I had already replaced them once with Enduro bearings because the original bearings had pretty much seized. Now on my third set. The others were a main pivot and a rear triangle bearing. Not sure which bearing was causing my god awful creak but its nice having a quiet bike again lol Will see how long that last

casual_build

« Reply #317 on: August 18, 2024, 02:22:07 AM »
This bike is still slaying for me. Have had a few falls, but only paint and component damage. Frame is killing it.

I'm think It might be time to replace the linkage bearings soon.

Looking for suggestions on what to buy for:

- Replacement bearings
- Frame protection
- Bottle cage (Bottles keep flying out)

Bearings are the hard one, might just buy from carbonda

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #318 on: August 18, 2024, 06:12:32 PM »
It’s good to get the full bearing/hardware service set from Carbonda because one of the pieces of hardware (non drive chainstay pivot) snapped when I had the service done. Had it at around max torque but always used a torque wrench and didn’t over torque. Carbonda just uses a relatively soft metal, same kind of stuff they use in their hangers from what I can tell.

There’s one bearing (rocker arm pivot I think?) that uses a non standard flanged bearing, so you take that one from the kit. Everything else I used Enduro Max. The bearing specs are either in this thread or the 1001 thread, can’t remember which. There are three types in total, as I recall, including the one that Enduro doesn’t make the right flange thickness for.

casual_build

« Reply #319 on: September 10, 2024, 12:06:24 AM »
Had my bike suspension professionally serviced and they said all the bearings are still doing great.

This bike was an excellent purchase at the time. Nowadays, I would probably just buy a Transition Sentinel. When this bike bites the dust, that will probably be my next bike.