Author Topic: PSA: Check your tire sealant early and often!  (Read 2404 times)

Vipassana

PSA: Check your tire sealant early and often!
« on: October 02, 2014, 08:01:52 PM »
I know this is probably common sense for most of you, but neglecting to check my tire sealant bit me in the ass today.  The weather was perfect and I escaped from work early to hit the trails. Everything was going great until my tire went flat 5 miles into the trail.  I tired to air it back up and in the process found a hole right in the center of the tire tread. I pointed the hole down, bit nothing happened. Air leaked from the hole as fast as ever.  I spun the wheel around a bit, but nothing. No sealant. 

I ended up throwing a tube in and in the process confirmed that there was no more sealant in the tire.  It must have all been used up on previous punctures (I find sealant on the frame and tire pretty often). And to add insult to injury, a mile down the trail the tube got a hole from a goat head (there is a lot of thorns and the like out here in AZ).  I ended up using my last cartridge and a borrowed one from a coworker to limp back.  Now I'm at there car waiting while they're out there enjoying the heck out of this great weather.

Check your sealant early and often! I'm just glad this didn't happen on a race!

« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 09:05:29 PM by Vipassana »

Andy

Re: PSA: Check your tire sealant early and often!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 08:51:03 PM »
Great advice!  Thank you for the reminder!!!

Patrick C.

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 09:25:20 PM »
Anybody carry ann emergency shot of sealant in the camelback?  I guess it makes more sense to check it regularly and carry a tube, but as I've found out many times it is hard to make something idiot proof :)

carbonazza

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 02:25:34 AM »
Is there any trick to check the level of sealant other than removing the tire?
The noise maybe?

Vipassana

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 03:17:52 AM »
No good trick that I know of short of breaking the bread and taking a look.  I just shake and listen.

cmh

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 08:06:11 PM »
Gotta watch out if you shake and listen.  If your Stan's goop has dried up and created the dreaded "Stan's Man" or, my favorite term - the "Stanimal" - then you might hear it rattling around in there and think you've got liquid.  Obviously the sound of a little rubber critter rattling around is different than liquid sloshing, but if you've never seen a Stanimal, you might not realize it.