Author Topic: ZRace Disc Brakes  (Read 13156 times)

ChrisB

Re: ZRace Disc Brakes
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2022, 11:18:19 PM »
Search for Jagwire keb-sl.

I second that statement... you want break housings without metal coils.

BR Chris

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2023, 03:23:25 AM »
How are everyone's BR-05 callipers holding up? I am really regretting buying mine... They have been performing worse and worse as time goes by.
They actually only performed good the first few weeks.
On yesterday's ride i had almost no braking in the back and the front brake was really pulsating. The front fork was vibrating a lot...

I have taken them off yesterday evening, bled them and replaced the pads even though they were not worn out. I am regretting spending the money on them and am contemplating just getting GRX800 shifters/brakes/derailleur.

Edit: Well I decided it is time to stop being frustrated with these dangerous Chinese brakes and started to order the GRX 800 parts... Should be around 400eur for the GRX 800 brifters 812 derailleur and I found some unused cheap 105 calipers to go with that...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 12:46:04 PM by TidyDinosaur »

coffeebreak

« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2023, 10:56:09 AM »
Mine are not terrible, but not too good either. I too switched pads even though the factory pads were hardly worn and that seemed to make difference. The biggest change came with I replaced ZRACE rotors with Shimano. The performance with Shimano rotors is just way better. I'm yet to experience pulsating feedback like you and few others. I have had that happen with Giant Conduct system and it's an unsettling feeling.

In between I did put TRP Spyres on there and I couldn't tell the difference.

All in all, next time I will go for something else.

jonathanf2

« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2023, 12:02:40 PM »
My Onirii BR-05 calipers are holding up fine, but the rear tends to make a creaking sound every so often. Mine seem to have really good bite, but I have my brake cables dialed-in tightly with the screw pad adjuster, the caliper barrel adjuster, plus I also installed a rear brake cable adjuster and I also have the brake pull dialed in from the Sensah Team Pro shifters I'm using. Saying that, my Juin Tech F1s on my other bike are so much EASIER to dial in.

TeamO

« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2023, 12:09:22 PM »
I bought the BR-005. Either I lost the mounting screws and 160mm adapters or they were not supplied. Can I just order any other adapters and use them or must it be the adapters from ZRace?

I would like to order them not through Aliexpress because it takes me too long. Has someone a tip where I get these quickly?

coffeebreak

« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2023, 01:29:37 PM »
Amazon. I always run into issues like this at the build time and then scramble things on Amazon at prices that can only be described as highway robbery but can't help it :

https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Bicycle-Brake-Mount-Adapter/dp/B016PKWVDW
https://www.amazon.com/SwishTi-Cyclocross-Flat-Mount-Post-Mount-Calipers/dp/B097ZWFKDH

That being said, my BR-005 came with one 160mm adapter and all the bolts which I ordered from Oniiri. And to answer your question, the mount adapters are universal. Just make sure front and rear are different spacing on most frames so the adapters are sold in same manner.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 01:33:28 PM by coffeebreak »

jonathanf2

« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2023, 12:07:48 PM »
Anyone still using their Zrace/Onirii BR-005 calipers? I don't particularly love them, mainly because they require way more tweaking/fiddling to dial them. Though I have them setup to the point that they are performing quite well. I had to do quite a bit of pad adjustments, dial in the barrel adjuster, tweak the lever reach and even adjust the brake cable line. I still find Juin Tech F1s to be much more easier to use, but I'm confident my BR-005 calipers are now on par if not braking better than my Juin Techs on my other bike.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2023, 01:03:25 PM »
Nah, replaced them with 105 calipers paired to my new GRX shifters and I will never look back. Should have done this from the start, that would have been way cheaper than experimenting with Sensah/zrace/onirii.
Buy cheap, pay twice... Learned the hard way.

coffeebreak

« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2023, 01:14:13 PM »
Anyone still using their Zrace/Onirii BR-005 calipers? I don't particularly love them, mainly because they require way more tweaking/fiddling to dial them. Though I have them setup to the point that they are performing quite well. I had to do quite a bit of pad adjustments, dial in the barrel adjuster, tweak the lever reach and even adjust the brake cable line. I still find Juin Tech F1s to be much more easier to use, but I'm confident my BR-005 calipers are now on par if not braking better than my Juin Techs on my other bike.

I have them (Onirii) still. They got better. I was planning to get the Juin tech to see if they make a difference but pad and rotor change worked for me. Tuning then is rather painful though compared to any other mechanical disc brakes.

So for now, I don't have plans to change them. I do have 105 and Ultegra hydro calipers sitting on the shelf but keeping the upgrade for later future.

kbike

« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2023, 01:41:14 PM »
I still use them on 2 bikes. My 168 frame and one gravel frame. I'm happy trust them to work for me. Yes like you say they do take time to adjust even as the pads wear.  I have upgraded pads I need to install.  Just been using my free time messing with the hydro stuff lately. 

jonathanf2

« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2023, 01:50:12 PM »
I have them (Onirii) still. They got better. I was planning to get the Juin tech to see if they make a difference but pad and rotor change worked for me. Tuning then is rather painful though compared to any other mechanical disc brakes.

So for now, I don't have plans to change them. I do have 105 and Ultegra hydro calipers sitting on the shelf but keeping the upgrade for later future.

Juin Techs are way easier to setup out the box, but once you get the BR-005 tuned they are pretty close. The one nice thing about Juin Tech's is the knob on the pad adjuster screw. I can tweak the calipers on the fly. For my gravel bike though and the terrain I ride in, hydraulic brakes are a must. I ride on some pretty narrow single track where people have fallen off cliff sides.

I'm beginning to think I'm becoming a better bike mechanic, because I'm always trying to figure out how to fix issues with cheap AliExpress parts! Lol

alexartzwy

« Reply #86 on: August 24, 2023, 09:54:38 AM »
I have been using mine for about 30 days now, and honestly love them.  They can lock up my tires at almost any speed!  I am using them on a gravel bike so a bit different use than some.

pinaataa

« Reply #87 on: August 24, 2023, 01:07:51 PM »
I have been using mine for a while on a GR029 connect to Empire Pro brifters.

They took me a while to dial them in. I had BR02 first. These are piece of garbage and I wouldn't even use these as a paper weight. I changed the cable housing for Keb-SL (rear brake only) to try to improve things and it did not change much,

Then I got the BR05. First I had a very stiff control, I played with the cable hosing line and got something a little bit easier to pull but not better breaking. So i changed the pads for Tektro resin pads. Here I gat a way better performance.

Then I started feeling worsening performance when using a second wheelset. With a different set of disc, the brake path is not exactly lining up, so i ended up finding similar disc to the one I was using on the first wheelset, which are Juicy G2 160mm, I got cheap copies from mec.ca (in Canada) and now both wheelset brake fine.

TBH, I can't wait for Sensah to come up with the HRD empire brifter so I can upgrade to hydraulics. While the BR05 now work ok, it's still a workout for my hand when going down long descent and when comparing with Shimano, I feel it's day and night on how much effort is required to lock the wheel. This is probably due to the full length cable housing required for the rear brake.

In the end with buying to set of brakes, re-inforced cable housing, changing brake pads, sets of rotor (I tried 3 other set before coming on to these Juicy G2), I'm pretty sure I paid more then Juin Tech to get them to that level...

jonathanf2

« Reply #88 on: August 24, 2023, 11:37:08 PM »
I have been using mine for a while on a GR029 connect to Empire Pro brifters.

They took me a while to dial them in. I had BR02 first. These are piece of garbage and I wouldn't even use these as a paper weight. I changed the cable housing for Keb-SL (rear brake only) to try to improve things and it did not change much,

Then I got the BR05. First I had a very stiff control, I played with the cable hosing line and got something a little bit easier to pull but not better breaking. So i changed the pads for Tektro resin pads. Here I gat a way better performance.

Then I started feeling worsening performance when using a second wheelset. With a different set of disc, the brake path is not exactly lining up, so i ended up finding similar disc to the one I was using on the first wheelset, which are Juicy G2 160mm, I got cheap copies from mec.ca (in Canada) and now both wheelset brake fine.

TBH, I can't wait for Sensah to come up with the HRD empire brifter so I can upgrade to hydraulics. While the BR05 now work ok, it's still a workout for my hand when going down long descent and when comparing with Shimano, I feel it's day and night on how much effort is required to lock the wheel. This is probably due to the full length cable housing required for the rear brake.

In the end with buying to set of brakes, re-inforced cable housing, changing brake pads, sets of rotor (I tried 3 other set before coming on to these Juicy G2), I'm pretty sure I paid more then Juin Tech to get them to that level...

They're already out:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805775443558.html?

mahaj

« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2023, 12:51:36 PM »
Which brake pads is everyone using with their BR-05? I’m currently using the green Soocent ceramic ones which have been good when dry but sometimes a bit noisy when wet. I need to change the pads soon and was thinking if there are better options available.