Author Topic: Ican S3 XC Frame  (Read 30803 times)

Julian

Re: Ican S3 XC Frame
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2021, 05:05:46 AM »
Awesome Julian!! I was hoping you would do that  ;)
Yes seems they are both good bikes then, the leverage ratio from Carbonda did seem a bit odd but I found it plausible given what I have seen been done in China ("designers" that dont even know how to use the thing they are making, happens in many products).
I actually prefer the FM936 as its lighter and that's kind of the whole point of this bike (I already have a 160mm bruiser), plus flex stays is the new thing right  :P
Can you post the antisquat curve at least for one of the flex points? ("further back" seems like a good middle ground) THANKS!

Sure thing :)

Absolutely true about the chinese frames sometimes having weird linkages... but yeah, the FM936 seems pretty fine.

The anti squat is actually not affected by the placement of that rear pivot point, but very much so by the center of gravity, and I honestly have no idea how to correctly estimate that. I've just kept it where the software suggested it to be.

Anyway, it's probably very similar - if not identical - to the NS Synonym, and the magazine reviews haven't reported any terrible ride characteristics.

So, here you go, anti suqat for 32t and 34t (the highest line is with 50t, the lowest with 10t).

« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 05:08:01 AM by Julian »

jetpilot

« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2021, 09:05:44 AM »
Great thanks!

It has good pedaling characteristics from what I can see. I usually like to see ~120% on 50T so it stiffens up a bit especially if its a XC bike. This will also try to keep it above or close to 100% when on an uphill (CG moves forwards).
From my anectodal experience, 100% usually means it will bob slightly when mashing but it will stay fairly calm if you spin seated. A pedal switch is still going to be useful for sprinting and making the bike "feel" more efficient without perfect technique.

What software is this btw?

Julian

« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2021, 01:30:30 PM »
What software is this btw?

It's called "Linkage X3". I really like it so far.

For the FM936, I've used a detailed vector graphic that Carbonda sent me, so I think it should be pretty accurate.

Ben78

« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2021, 11:34:10 PM »
 :(

So I think I may have cracked my chainstay.....

Has anyone dealt with ICAN regarding warranty before? Painful process?

carbonazza

« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2021, 05:24:43 PM »
The picture is a little blurry, but it looks to be just scratches.
This part is particularly strong.
Did you try to hit the area with a coin, and listen if the noise is different from place to place ?
A cracked zone will have a muted sound.

Ben78

« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2021, 05:52:01 PM »
Yes, tapping with a coin changes tone as I move across the area with the flake shape. 

KiwiKev

« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2021, 10:03:39 PM »
Sure thing :)

Absolutely true about the chinese frames sometimes having weird linkages... but yeah, the FM936 seems pretty fine.

The anti squat is actually not affected by the placement of that rear pivot point, but very much so by the center of gravity, and I honestly have no idea how to correctly estimate that. I've just kept it where the software suggested it to be.

Anyway, it's probably very similar - if not identical - to the NS Synonym, and the magazine reviews haven't reported any terrible ride characteristics.

So, here you go, anti suqat for 32t and 34t (the highest line is with 50t, the lowest with 10t).
That's why I've just gone for the FM936 as it was designed by NS Bikes so pretty sure the suspension kinematics will be on point as is the geo.

marcocpl

« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2021, 10:41:23 PM »
Hi Ben, for my frame, that particular area has a silver chain stay protector. Could the crack be a result of chain impacts?
from my experience on this frame, ICAN tend to ignore emails on things that they don't want to answer.... e.g. I was asking them for frame availability for a size which they don't have stock, they ignored me for days until I asked the same question in a PM to their FB account.
Good luck with your warranty claims and pls let us know how it goes

Ben78

« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2021, 06:06:35 AM »
So they have a warranty claim form on their website, which I have completed. Monday was a national holiday in China so they may be backlogged a little,

Mine never came with the metal protector, the scratches that can be seen in the paint are possibly filler of some description which has possibly flaked. Whilst I don't expect this area to flex and crack from longitudinal loading, I could see it happening from lateral loading - if you ever watch slow motion of a bike cornering the lateral movement can be huge.

I will update as I find out more about their process.

carbonazza

« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2021, 08:24:22 AM »
...as it was designed by NS Bikes so pretty sure the suspension kinematics will be on point as is the geo.
How do you know that for sure ?
NS Bikes designed their own rear triangle maybe, with the help of flybike-asia maybe, but nothing is certain, or did I miss a boat ?  :D

Julian

« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2021, 10:35:54 AM »
How do you know that for sure ?
NS Bikes designed their own rear triangle maybe, with the help of flybike-asia maybe, but nothing is certain, or did I miss a boat ?  :D

You're right, it will definitely have slightly different suspension kinematics, that's already clear by the different stroke lengths.

But the anti squat is actually not affected by that. It's a fixed pivot design, so the only thing that matters is how that main pivot point is placed. You could roughly say that if the chain moves through the main pivot point, anti squat is about 100 per cent at sag and it will change less with different gears (compare for example Canyon Lux, Specialized Epic...). Or course that depends on the center of gravity etc...

That's why the 32t seems better for the FM936, but that's just theory. In reality, pro riders never run anything smaller than a 36t on bikes that are optimized for 34t, and they don't seem to have any trouble.

marcocpl

« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2021, 10:07:18 AM »
Damn, I just found some quality issues with my frame while I was wrapping protective films on it.
The carbon finishing near the CS Axle pivots looks pretty bad. I'm not sure if I should continue building with this CS.
You can see the CS Axle Pivot Right Side - Low is perfect but others aren't.

I've sent ICAN an email. Let's see how it goes..

« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 11:06:49 AM by marcocpl »

InsaneDawe

« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2021, 03:02:54 PM »
Damn, I just found some quality issues with my frame while I was wrapping protective films on it.
The carbon finishing near the CS Axle pivots looks pretty bad. I'm not sure if I should continue building with this CS.
You can see the CS Axle Pivot Right Side - Low is perfect but others aren't.

I've sent ICAN an email. Let's see how it goes..

Looks like normal unfinished carbon. Frame would cost a whole lot more if you wanted it to be finished perfect.

I'd send it.

Ben78

« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2021, 02:39:59 AM »
As an update, I was finally able to get in contact with ICAN (posed a question re their frames, almost immediate response...)

Anyway they are (allegedly) sending me a new chain stay. Hopefully the 8 days it took the original frame to arrive is the same for the part.

Now to decide if I repair the cracked one to keep as a spare, or cut it open in the name of science!

mtbluvr68

« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2021, 05:13:17 PM »
MARCOPL   that looks pretty normal.  If that were on the outside I'd have a problem with it.  Get a file and smooth it off.  Kind of the trade off you get for getting a frame that was probably 20% the cost of a BIG BRAND NAME frame ....
2021 Tan Tan Seraph FM027  w/Light Bicycle wheels(XC)
2022 Marin Rift Zone 3 w/ elite wheels (trail)
2021 Tideace FMR185 w/Light Bicycle Wheels (road)
2023  Chasing Wind w/ elite wheels (Gravel)