Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-177  (Read 76545 times)

joegal

Re: Velobuild VB-R-177
« Reply #420 on: July 04, 2024, 03:16:38 PM »
Hey... about that front derailleur port. When you route, do you end the cable housing with a cap inside the frame, on the little included port, or did you have another section of housing from port to derailleur?  Seems like such an odd design choose to make the cable make the 90 deg turn in the housing, then end the housing just for the straight portion. I'm tempted to simply run the housing the whole way and just add a gromit. not sure how it would work out though.

For those mechanical shimano front derailleurs, its always best to have the cable housing routed all the way to the FD. So I would not recommend to use the grommet that VB supplied and rather find another grommet. Or you could drill out the VB grommet so that the cable housing would fit through

But for best FD shifting, always run the outer cable to the FD.

zev

« Reply #421 on: July 08, 2024, 02:51:52 PM »
Thanks, build went well.

My build:
Shimano 105 mechanical group set, Praxis crank, DT Swiss wheels all stolen off donor Specialized 2019 Allen Sprint Comp Disk with cracked seat stays I purchase on Craigslist for $300. Needed new set of pads ($60) and bar tape ($22) but otherwise everything was in good working order.  Cabled it up with generic amazon brake hose ($16) and Shimano Optislick Shift Cable Set (R7000) ($24). Bottom bracket is the Praxis M30-BB86 ($45) because it needed to be compatible with the crank.

I had not read the advice here, and ran my cables from the back to the front. it was all actually fine, I mean it was a little struggle getting both the brake and the shifter cable through the bars, but it didn't take more than one evening of swearing.  That seems pretty good based of some of the stories I have heard.  Needed to drill out the front derailure cable hole, and ran the housing all the way to the shifter.  From the horror stories I have heard, I was worried about shift performance all round but have been impressed, it feels snappier and easier all round VS the 10speed Ultregra I have on my other bike. woot!

Really enjoyable ride. fit feels good, reach might be slightly long, but will find out on my first long ride.  Im 6'1", got the 56cm Large.

Only issue? creak.  Ive got the bottom bracket creak.  I'll be going through with a torque wrench, grease, and RTV silicone to see if I can chase it down. First ride was perfect (12mi) second ride it now seems to creak with anything above a light pedal stroke.  Just like one click, but quite annoying.  Hope its just e pedal or crank bolt or something... removing the press fit BB in there with Loctite Superflex RTV is not something I look forward to, nor is it something I have any idea how I would improve on re-install.

Serge_K

« Reply #422 on: July 09, 2024, 05:49:33 AM »
I've had magical results with liquid moly 3312. I put that stuff EVERYWHERE I could on and around the BB. Went from a horrendous creak to total silent, and that was 350km ago.
It's German, and cheap. My new favorite trade secret.
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.

bronco

« Reply #423 on: July 21, 2024, 11:23:48 PM »
As my current frame is crumbling under my bum, I'm a bit pressed for time and have a few questions.
Regarding the right size, I would like to know what the minimum number of spacers including the headset cover measures if I use the integrated cockpit from Velobuild. My current bike has a stack of 555, plus a headset cover of approx. 1.5 cm.
A custom paint job will probably delay delivery. Can you say approximately how much?
How long does delivery to Europe usually take?
Thank you.