Author Topic: Recommendations for a carbon saddle?  (Read 16122 times)

1Sigma

Recommendations for a carbon saddle?
« on: May 15, 2021, 03:05:45 PM »
Hi all,

Any recommendations for a decent, lightweight, chiner saddle?
Seems like a lot of hit and miss on these, and hard to discern if it boils down to QC issues or, you know, because carbon saddles can be more prone to failure.

Currently checking this one out on Ali:
C$ 23.66  6% Off | superlogic 3K Full Carbon Fiber Bicycle Saddle Road MTB Bike Carbon Saddle Seat Matte bike cushion 275*143mm cycling parts
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKjZyHX

Super light (115g)  generally favourable reviews (for me, meaning the poor reviews do not revolve around quality), low incidence or reported failure (?)

Thanks!

Better than average - Extra Average

Nickk2000

Re: Recommendations for a carbon saddle?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 05:42:30 PM »
i have the selle italia slr tekno flo knockoff and i have just bought another selle italia knockoff, both 140-160g. the slr tekno flo is 147mm wide and is meant for a moderate to large flexibility. you cant lack the flexibility because the thing curves down pretty severely so youd be uncomfortable if you're a bigger guy.
whats weird about it is that its the same discomfort from minute 1 thru hour 4, its uncomfortable but not painful, ive been into cycling for 4 months so it can just be im not used to a saddle but the pain is consistent, there isnt a drop off of comfort at some point

1Sigma

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 11:47:48 AM »
Thanks Nickk2000!

carbonazza

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 05:40:51 PM »
I have this one on my road, gravel and MTB :
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0bVL65

It is 83g, solid and surprisingly comfy.
Well... if you ride regularly and with bibs.

Not a big investment to try in any case.
And... I buy them second hand if you're not happy  ;D

Nickk2000

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 06:10:15 PM »

i saw that saddle. i found that hump to look really uncomfortable. what does it feel like for you?

carbonazza

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2021, 12:22:51 AM »
i saw that saddle. i found that hump to look really uncomfortable. what does it feel like for you?
After a bike fit, I learned my thighs are too big for my hips.
So not much space for a saddle, and I scouted Ali to find a narrow saddle.

Found the one above, and these:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_msnEIdB (crap, broke instantly).
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNNVQNf(ok, but wider than advertised)

The GUB 1156 was my previous saddle for years.
It looks like a Selle SMP, so it gets knocked off Ali regularly, probably for some copyright hunters.
But if you find a seller that sells GUB saddles(light and strong), and ask for a 1156, they have it.
eg: https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPRTmPb

1Sigma

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2021, 04:19:29 PM »

Great recommendation
Added to my wishlist.   I saw it before - don't know why I took a pass on it.
I'll compare the dimensions against my current saddle.

Anyone have experience with the Superlogic saddles?
Seem to be pretty well reviewed, except by those who found it hard (duh), used it without a chamois, didn't realize it had oval rails
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOXCY8d

Edit: after measuring my sit bones and my current saddle, the EC90 one looks to be the way to go.
Thanks for the suggestion, Carbonazza
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 07:48:42 AM by MIC2025 »

1Sigma

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2021, 05:18:30 PM »
Great recommendation
Added to my wishlist.   I saw it before - don't know why I took a pass on it.
I'll compare the dimensions against my current saddle.

Anyone have experience with the Superlogic saddles?
Seem to be pretty well reviewed, except by those who found it hard (duh), used it without a chamois, didn't realize it had oval rails
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOXCY8d

Edit: after measuring my sit bones and my current saddle, the EC90 one looks to be the way to go.
Thanks for the suggestion, Carbonazza

Just came in.  Gonna be honest, this one has the most questionable build quality of all the part purchased so far.
The hope is that it is function over form, and I don't end up picking carbon out of my butt
On the plus side, it came in at a lean 80g

curvenut

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2021, 08:15:57 PM »
Hi,

I just bought this one since it is very similar to my SMP Dynamic  but 10 times cheaper !
I am still waiting for it .  I just hope it is as good as the SMP since the SMP Dynamic  is the only  saddle
my butt can handle  !!!

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005002499553105.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.619d6c37G80ylO
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 08:17:32 PM by curvenut »

Nickk2000

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2021, 09:57:40 PM »
I own the black version of this guy. You have a choice of yellow (tdf) red and black. Figured not to be a fanboy and went with black. I own one and i hve two more in the mail. Overall, comfortable, i was worried about the lack of padding on the pure carbon ones. Says sele italia and le tour de france on the side. $25, worth a shot. 147-150mm i think, so a little wider than some others, and right around 150g. Impressed with the quality too, no creaking, cracking, etc. Overall, very happy because im not looking for saddles anymore after this.

1Sigma

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2021, 10:08:39 AM »
Picked up an EC90 carbon saddle for $26 Canadian.
Lightweight at 80g
Finish could be nicer, and carbon around the area where the rails mate with the seat looks sloppy.
Surprisingly comfortable when wearing a chamois.

However, 50km in it developed a crack. Looks repairable at the moment, and still rideable.
I weigh 85kg, which was probably a factor

hazzer19

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2021, 08:29:28 PM »
Picked up an EC90 carbon saddle for $26 Canadian.
Lightweight at 80g
Finish could be nicer, and carbon around the area where the rails mate with the seat looks sloppy.
Surprisingly comfortable when wearing a chamois.

However, 50km in it developed a crack. Looks repairable at the moment, and still rideable.
I weigh 85kg, which was probably a factor

I ordered one of these based on the previous recommendations. Waiting for it to arrive any day now. I’m closer to 89 Kg or so, so we’ll see how long it lasts! Would be a huge weight savings compared to my Specialized Power Comp.

1Sigma

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2021, 09:03:41 AM »
I ordered one of these based on the previous recommendations. Waiting for it to arrive any day now. I’m closer to 89 Kg or so, so we’ll see how long it lasts! Would be a huge weight savings compared to my Specialized Power Comp.

If it helps, I think I know when it happened. 
I was sitting a bit forward in the saddle at around 35kph, and encountered an unexpected bump in the road.

This made my bottom slam into the saddle, as I was didn’t anticipate the bump. This resulted  in a large dynamic load placed on the nose of the saddle, and I heard a crack at the time.
Stopped to inspect, but didn’t notice anything until I got home.

Looks small enough to patch though

carbonazza

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2021, 10:09:53 AM »
...Looks small enough to patch though

I would throw it out, it will crack more at the next bump.
Not that is dangerous, but it may leave you without saddle in the middle of a long ride.

I was learning to nose-pivot with my MTB.
And once felt hard with all my weight(well...67kg) on the saddle.

Both rails cracked, absorbing most of the shock instead of my butt.
The saddle stayed in place, not rigid nor rideable anymore, but not a carbon explosion either.

I contacted EC90 by aliexpress, and they did send me one free + a small shipping.
Now I stocked 2 of them in case I break one again.

We could ask to make the rails with a kevlar blend like on some expensive models.

hazzer19

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2022, 03:06:56 PM »

Update on my EC90 saddle, it cracked  :-[

Rails seem to be ok but as picture, the left side next to the cut out cracked. It must have splintered a few rides ago as I started to notice by bibs were catching on something but it wasn't obvious. Then on my last ride this weekend the sharp pieces of carbon tore a bunch of holes in one of my nicest bibs and it became clear...

I've contacted the seller a couple of days ago (EC90 Official Store) and so far they have have read the messages but not responded. I was very close to buying another of these saddles for my gravel bike as I have been super happy with it up until the crack on the while riding it on the road bike. Not sure if what I got was a dud or I should expect this to happen again. I'm 90Kg and the saddle says it can support max 100Kg.