Author Topic: Recommendations for a carbon saddle?  (Read 16125 times)

StiffWeenies

Re: Recommendations for a carbon saddle?
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2022, 07:36:11 AM »
Found this new company called Cosy Saddle

They're making this 3D printed saddle

Looks much better executed than the ZTTO. According to this video, they're also developing carbon and short nose versions.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 08:20:35 AM by StiffWeenies »

1Sigma

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2022, 05:19:01 AM »

Looks much better executed than the ZTTO. According to this video, they're also developing carbon and short nose versions.

That's one slick marketing video. 
I currently do not have high hopes for the EC90 and my bum this season.  So far I've mostly used it indoors.  We'll see how it goes.   If it doesn't work out, I'd be game to try this one.
Better than average - Extra Average

hazzer19

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2022, 10:20:02 AM »
Is the weight of the 3D Cosy listed somewhere? Hard to beat the ~85g EC90 but the extra comfort and cool design is tempting. Wonder if they'll start selling on Aliexpress soon.

1Sigma

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2022, 10:38:48 AM »
Is the weight of the 3D Cosy listed somewhere? Hard to beat the ~85g EC90 but the extra comfort and cool design is tempting. Wonder if they'll start selling on Aliexpress soon.

255g!  Yikes!

StiffWeenies

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2022, 10:50:00 AM »
255g!  Yikes!

The estimated weight for the carbon version will be around 200g (long nose?), so a couple grams heavier than the Power Mirror at 193g. Hopefully the carbon short nose will be a bit lighter in the mid 19Xg range, but I don't see them being anywhere near the Romin Mirror at 185g. These 3D printed saddles definitely aren't meant for weightweenies.

Bigrock is also developing their own while Balugoe (related to the EC90 factory apparently?) recently brought theirs to market. The latter however isn't what I'd consider a 'legit' operation though.

It's definitely exciting days. Like carbon spoked wheels, these 3D printed saddles are shaking up the cycling industry because it's a completely different way of producing an existing product. Major players might not be willing to adopt these new technologies because it may entail jeopardising established supplier relations (e.g. saddle foam and Sapim spokes). I see it like how I see EV versus ICE cars, Chinese domestic brands have the opportunity to leapfrog technologies instead of perpetually playing catchup.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 11:12:56 AM by StiffWeenies »

hazzer19

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2022, 03:38:13 PM »
255g!  Yikes!

Yikes is right! Not sure I'd switch from my EC90 for that or 200g, unless it cracks on me again or I start to find it uncomfortable

StiffWeenies

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2022, 02:16:09 PM »
I recommend the Huooge X6S saddle. It’s a Power replica in terms of shape and has carbon rails and shell unlike lower end offerings such as the EC90.

I found a similar saddle called the GUB 1188

1Sigma

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2022, 04:54:17 PM »
Good point, may still risk it if it seems stable lol - interested in your carbon repair though. How involved is it for someone that has never done something like that?

Looks like I never responded to this. Replacing some parts for spring. Taking off the seat reminded me that I forgot.

I used Maybe $0.50 of carbon fibre and dollar store 2-part epoxy.
Looks sturdy enough, and held up on the turbo trainer, but it is UUUUGGGLLY!!!
Someone with more prowess could have done a better job I am sure

kbike

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2022, 05:28:35 PM »
Masking or painters tape, Wax paper, shrink wrap tape, and heat gun. Then you'll have smooth layers.

Mask off where you don't want resin. I use wax paper cause my shrink tape sticks too well. Heat gun to remove air bubbles from resin and shrink tape to tighten fiber and squeeze excess resin out.

1Sigma

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2022, 07:10:20 PM »
Masking or painters tape, Wax paper, shrink wrap tape, and heat gun. Then you'll have smooth layers.

Mask off where you don't want resin. I use wax paper cause my shrink tape sticks too well. Heat gun to remove air bubbles from resin and shrink tape to tighten fiber and squeeze excess resin out.

One part is me wants another crack to develop so I can try it again.
One part of would be happy to never have to use these tips in the future.

Thanks for the advice!

kbike

« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2022, 08:47:31 PM »
Here's a chainstay I repaired.

fattyrice

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2022, 08:37:51 PM »

Just ordered one piece out of curiosity. The weight doesn't bother me much if there is comfort to be found! They also told me that the carbon rail version will be ready for sale by the end of this month. If I like the current one enough I'll probably order the carbon rail version as well.

hazzer19

« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2022, 10:11:51 PM »
Just ordered one piece out of curiosity. The weight doesn't bother me much if there is comfort to be found! They also told me that the carbon rail version will be ready for sale by the end of this month. If I like the current one enough I'll probably order the carbon rail version as well.

Where did you buy it and for how much?

fattyrice

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2022, 03:42:13 AM »
Where did you buy it and for how much?

I got it from the Alibaba link that StiffWeenies shared.

US$61.50 for the saddle, with US$23.80 EMS to South East Asia. I didn't have a forwarding agent, so that shipping quote was from them.

Not the cheapest saddle I've bought from China, but very curious to see how it stands up on long rides.

fattyrice

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2022, 12:27:18 AM »
Just received the saddle today via FedEx. Sticker price is ¥699 (~US$105) without shipping and handling, so maybe expect it to retail at that price.

Measurements on the tag were accurate (275mm x 145mm), with the sticker on the packaging stating a 275x150.

Weighs slightly less on my kitchen scale than the 270g advertised.

Looks like they will be coming out with carbon and titanium rail versions.

Smacking this on today and testing it out.

*EDIT*
Post-ride

Did a couple of two hour rides in two different bibs (Rapha and Monton).
I have only tested the Specialized Romin Evo at a shop for 15 mins so I cannot make any direct comparisons.
I can however compare to my previous Chiner Selle Italia saddle that I've ridden for ~2000km.

Pros:
I realise that comfort is supposed to come from the bib padding and not saddle padding but I really did feel a difference in both comfort and support.
I was adjusting my position less and didn't get any numbness in my ass. I felt planted, and even in different positions, my sit bones were well supported.

Cons:
Mud and gunk got trapped in the holes and required some slightly higher pressure washing.
Weight can definitely be a turn off, but I should be the one shedding weight  :(

Mind you, I'm an unfit 91kg rider mostly cycling on a smart trainer, but I'm a convert. Will definitely be ordering the titanium rail version in the future for my brother as a christmas gift (and maybe one for myself).
It's a fifth of the price of a branded 3d saddle for my region, and gives a much better value for my money.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 06:08:49 AM by fattyrice »