Author Topic: XS Ican P1 Build  (Read 7503 times)

elgaucher

XS Ican P1 Build
« on: May 27, 2021, 04:51:56 AM »
Hey there !

Since not a lot of people documented on building a p1 , I decided to start my own thread on it.

Little background, last year during the pandemic, my girlfriend really started enjoying Riding.

Now, with this issue of bike shortage, the only nice used bike we were able to get was a 2017 devinci spartan small.

This bike is a beast by the way, way overkill for the kind of riding my girlfriend does. The only issue with it is that my GF is 5" and that small is just way to big.

So many time I've seen her just "jump out of saddle to bail on something because she just can't dab on that bike or even sit over the top tube.

This year , she decided she like bike more then enough to treat herself with an XS size bike and with the bike shortage still going full speed, we opted to build an Ican P1 with most of the part from the Devinci.

Here's what the build will look like :

- Ican P1 XS UD Matte
 - Fox Float DPS 200x51
 - RockShox Yari 150mm (might drop to 140mm if adding an angleset or offset bushing as the HTA of the P1 is kinda meh to me)
 - Mach1 Trucky 650B wheelset, 30mm inner width, 32h spokes, Tubeless ready, pretty budget friendly
 - DHR2 2.4wt / DHF 2.5wt
 - 11speed NX drivetrains w/ a 28T chainring from nsbillet (such a good way to upgrade an 11-42T cassette range to have a better granny gear for her)
 - Sram Level T brakes w/ 180mm rotor ( At 105lbs, she's even complaining that those are still too powerful...)
 - Devinci 45mm stem
 - Raceface Atlas bar
 - CrankBrother Stamp 1 pedals
 - PNW loam grips
 - Ks Lev Integra 100mm

So far so good , frame looks in good shape.

Now it's just a question of waiting on the parts we couldn't transfer from the donor to arrive than the fun begin :)

Cheers !

« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 04:53:52 AM by elgaucher »

slo

Re: XS Ican P1 Build
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 01:05:27 PM »
Thanks for sharing your build. I will also be building a P1 XS frame for my wife and look forward to your progress. I’m curious about tire fitment. Ican says 27.5x2.1 max will fit on the XS and S frame but I had thought they use the same rear triangle since the geometry is the same. Can you check clearance on the back?

elgaucher

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2021, 07:21:49 AM »
Thanks for sharing your build. I will also be building a P1 XS frame for my wife and look forward to your progress. I’m curious about tire fitment. Ican says 27.5x2.1 max will fit on the XS and S frame but I had thought they use the same rear triangle since the geometry is the same. Can you check clearance on the back?

I’m testing tomorrow with my own set of wheels since we’re still waiting on her to arrive.

I have a 27.5x2.4wt dissector so will see !

Still waiting on part for now but I’ve got the bottom bracket and crankset test fitted. I wasn’t sure if the non-boost nx crank from the devinci would fit or not. Looks clear to me

More test fit to come tomorrow!

Cheers

elgaucher

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 06:28:55 PM »
Test fitted more parts tonight manly checking for rear tire clearance.

Max tire size is 27.5x2.8 even on a Xs frame. I’ve put my own rear wheel that has a 2.4wt on a 30mm inner width rim and there’s plenty of space left.

Frame standover is perfect for the wifey at 5” / 26” inseam.

More to come when parts arrive !

jonnybearback

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2021, 08:20:14 PM »
I wish there was a shorter chainstay option for this frame.
I'm currently trying to work out if I could try and machine new dropouts into the space between the cs pivot and existing axle to make in more like a 420mm rear center for a 26" rear.

elgaucher

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2021, 08:37:20 PM »
I wish there was a shorter chainstay option for this frame.
I'm currently trying to work out if I could try and machine new dropouts into the space between the cs pivot and existing axle to make in more like a 420mm rear center for a 26" rear.

Yeah it’s really made for a plus tire or a 29er. Smaller wheels looks out of proportion in there.

I’m wondering if my wife will notice the growth from 432 chainstays to 443... bike overall still way smaller than her devinci so will see

elgaucher

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2021, 04:33:08 PM »
Little update as we are still waiting for parts.

Decided to be safe and grease + loctite every pivot bolts on the frame and I’m happy I did, only the chainstays had a bit of loctite to them.

elgaucher

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2021, 11:39:22 AM »
Other little piece of knowledge:

Max insertion length for post is 195mm

We’re probably will go with a oneUp 120mm. Insert length is 207mm on it but will shim it to 110mm of travel and bring the post out of the frame a bit

elgaucher

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2021, 08:44:49 PM »
A bit of bike p*rn.

Build is ready at 99%, waiting on shock hardware lol… always the little things.

Some of the things on that picture will change soon , still waiting on them to arrive like new cockpit and new dropper but not urgent for now

carbonazza

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2021, 10:18:06 AM »
A bit of bike p*rn.

Build is ready at 99%, waiting on shock hardware lol… always the little things.

Some of the things on that picture will change soon , still waiting on them to arrive like new cockpit and new dropper but not urgent for now
Maybe some brakes and shifter too ;D
Have fun for your build !

elgaucher

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2021, 10:31:08 AM »
Maybe some brakes and shifter too ;D
Have fun for your build !

Hehe they are there, the gf didn’t want to add them to the pic, “it’s will look like a cable mess” I quote xD

We’re reusing her 11speed nx and sram level T for now :) well enough for her need and keep the build price lower

elgaucher

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2021, 06:16:26 AM »
So build is mostly done. Waiting on a new shifter cable as the old one is too short.

Internal routing is as worst as I remember, the guide don’t help at all imo is just a question of poking around and having a small small pair of tweezer to pull on cable to exit correctly.

I’m surprised on the quality of the wheels for the price. Velomine has really good deals for budget alloy rims. We’ll see later how they hold tubeless.

I’ve bought a Granite design aux water bottle but I’m not sure yet if a 500ml would fit, the frame is extra extra small afterall lol

We’ll report this weekend on the first ride how it went !

Cheers

slo

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2021, 01:33:14 PM »
Test fitted more parts tonight manly checking for rear tire clearance.

Max tire size is 27.5x2.8 even on a Xs frame. I’ve put my own rear wheel that has a 2.4wt on a 30mm inner width rim and there’s plenty of space left.

Sounds great. I have a 27.5 wheel set with 2.8 on it so we’ll see how that goes.

elgaucher

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2021, 03:48:52 PM »
Sounds great. I have a 27.5 wheel set with 2.8 on it so we’ll see how that goes.

Share the build once it’s done !

carbonazza

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2021, 02:56:22 AM »
Hehe they are there, the gf didn’t want to add them to the pic, “it’s will look like a cable mess” I quote xD

We’re reusing her 11speed nx and sram level T for now :) well enough for her need and keep the build price lower

She may have modest needs, but she has a manual machine already :D