Author Topic: Chinertown's first IP-156 build  (Read 11593 times)

Jotegr

Chinertown's first IP-156 build
« on: October 23, 2014, 09:57:13 PM »
What up guys,

Got my frame and most of my stuff in the other day so it looks like I'll be ready to begin building soon. 90% of the parts from this build are being cannibalized off of my Aluminum Hardtail. The only things that aren't are the shock (duh), headset, and two BB Spacers.

I went with a matte grey on matte black carbon look for my  frame as I wanted to be stealth but not quite as stealth as a black on black. The shade of grey turned out to be a tad lighter than I would have preferred but all in all I'm pretty OK with how it looks.

I decided on the 650b because I was doing a frame swap. It also has a bit more travel than most of the 29'ers do at 120mm which is fine by me.

Here's how it looks right now w/ rear shock and wheel mounted. I wanted get an idea of how the wheelset would look on the frame. The rims are various shades of matte grey so I think the overall build is going to look pretty good

Build List

Frameset
Shock - Monarch RL - Decided to go cheap here. I'm really a goon when it comes to the feel of suspension. At 210 lbs I kinda just plow everything. I run very little sag and therefore wouldn't appreciate multiple damper modes. I prefer RS over Fox as I'm much more comfortable performing service on RS stuff. Plus, RS is kind enough to include a shock pump and service kit with every shock, so bonus.
Headset- Cane Creek 40 w/ reducer crown - Keeping it classy & simple
Fork- 2014 X-fusion Velvet RL- I'm going to raise it first to 140mm then 120mm to see how each feel.

Cockpit
Raceface Next 720mm Carbon riser bars
Raceface Ride 50mm Stem
Octane One Saddle
KHS Junk seatpost - It'll be a dropper or carbon post in the spring once I'm back working at a shop
Hope  QR seat collar

Drivetrain

XT Race Crankset 26/36
XT Front Derailleur
XT Shadow+ Rear Clutch Derailleur
XTR Siltech Chain
XT 11-34 10 spd Cassette

Brakes&Wheels
Raceface Turbine 650B Wheelset w/ Bladed, Straight pull Spokes
Maxxis Crossmark Rear Tire - I hate these things, will swap to another ardent or an Ikon or something later
Maxxis Ardent 2.25 Front Tire
160mm Magura Disks Front and Rear - May swap to a 180mm front. 160 was fine on the hard tail but I think I'll be pushing extra hard on this
Avid Elixir 5 Brakes

First thing I did was take the whole thing apart and grease all the bearings and pivots, as well as removing paint overspray from the headset recess and a couple other bits of the frame. I thought I'd have to face the Bottom Bracket but its looking like I won't need to. That's a plus! threw everything back together with generous amounts of lube and a bit of locktite some places, and torqued it to my own spec since the torque specs printed on the bolts are absurd.

I'm just waiting for my headset to come in and I can go to town on this build. I also need BB spacers since my old frame was 73mm and this frame's got a 68mm BB. These won't be hard to source but it is preventing me from getting my drivetrain together.

Sussed.

Re: Chinertown's first IP-156 build
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 04:32:47 AM »
Sweet !  Keep the pics coming  8)

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 08:11:10 AM »
If you are not reusing brakes that you already have and you have not already ordered the Avid Elixir 5 brakes, I would highly recommend you go with Shimano XT brakes, they are unquestionably a much better brake than the Avid Elixir 5's.

Good luck with your build, look forward to seeing completed pictures.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Jotegr

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 11:11:10 AM »
Nah, I'm reusing brakes I already have. Xts are great but I'm honestly fine with the avids. I've got zees and xtrs on my other two bikes.  I may upgrade down the road but brakes wouldn't be the highest priority anyway.

I wouldn't say unquestionably, shimanos are better brakes but avids are much more serviceable if you don't mind working with dot. You can't really rebuilt the new gen of shimano callipers, for example.

325racer

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 04:52:19 PM »
Nah, I'm reusing brakes I already have. Xts are great but I'm honestly fine with the avids. I've got zees and xtrs on my other two bikes.  I may upgrade down the road but brakes wouldn't be the highest priority anyway.

I wouldn't say unquestionably, shimanos are better brakes but avids are much more serviceable if you don't mind working with dot. You can't really rebuilt the new gen of shimano callipers, for example.

The Shimano are UNQUESTIONABLY better because you don't need to service them!!!!!!!!!!!!

That said, I have a set of Elixer 5s with Orange Speedline levers for sale!

Jotegr

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 01:38:43 AM »
I'm not sure what you mean. If you get a shimano with a seized piston you put the caliper In the garbage. If you get an avid with a seized piston you can replace the piston.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 07:00:18 AM »
I think what 325racer means is it doesn't matter if you cannot rebuild the Shimano caliper because they generally don't need to be serviced.

I never had to rebuild either Avid or Shimano brakes, but the Avids were troublesome in that they would make more noise under braking and did not have the stopping power or modulation that my Shimano XT brakes have.

When I built my Chiners, I tried the latest from Avid at the time which were the SRAM Guide Trail brakes and those brakes had about 90% of the brake feel and power of the Shimano XT.  They are a good brake, but not quite as good as the Shimano XT.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

Jotegr

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 12:07:42 AM »
Update time: all the bits that are going on the bike are now on the bike. Still gotta cable up and do the high limits of my derailleurs, as well as sort out some sort of frame protection for cable wear areas. Pretty good idea of what it'll look like when built up. And yes I'm aware the carpet and walls in my basement are disgusting.

Sometime over winter I hope to swap to grey fork decals, but maybe de-sticker entirely. 

I also need to raise my fork's travel to 120. An easy enough task normally but they've changed how the system works on 2014 forks so I'm just waiting on an e-mail back from X-fusion before I give that a whirl.

And on the brakes stuff- I have little issue with running the avid 5's on my XC bike. They've always been quiet for me. I've never had a single piston shimano seize, but I've seen their double piston line (Zee, Saint) seize more than maybe they should. It's just annoying as someone who's comfortable rebuilding calipers that you can't with all the current gen shimano stuff.

PS. It's likely there will never be a non-potato pic of this bike.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 09:57:26 AM »
Looks like a really nice FS 27.5 build.  Glad to see it is getting near complete.

P.S.  Your pics looks a bit squashed to me making the bike look a bit longer (left to right) than it probably should.  What gave it away was the wheels look more oval than round, maybe just the result of a camera phone lens  :).

Look forward to hearing how you like the ride performance.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 09:59:11 AM by Carbon_Dude »
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

Oolak

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 10:23:53 AM »
Love the paint scheme.

Also, curious your impressions of the Velvet fork?.. It's been on my list of maybes for quite some time now.

Jotegr

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 12:16:32 PM »

P.S.  Your pics looks a bit squashed to me making the bike look a bit longer (left to right) than it probably should.  What gave it away was the wheels look more oval than round, maybe just the result of a camera phone lens  :).

I think it's the angle of the shot and the camera phone. That said, the wheelbase is absurdly long. I got the largest frame I could from them. The wheelbase on this puppy is a fair bit longer than my old XC hardtail as well as my AM/Enduro  bike.

Love the paint scheme.

Also, curious your impressions of the Velvet fork?.. It's been on my list of maybes for quite some time now.

Thanks dude!

I really like the velvet. So far I've only ridden it at 100mm. I did race this past season on it.  It's a bit heavier than comparable 100mm air forks but it is noticeably stiffer as a result. That's pretty much what I wanted because as a 210 lb guy I can usually feel forks flexing quite a bit. I think this will translate well into the longer travel modes. Damping is really good on this fork, I've never bottomed it out and the small bump is nice. I do really like the factory tune in terms of performance. This is aided by X-fusion tending to ship with the proper amounts of oil in both the damper and the lowers, unlike some other companies (fox, rockshox are particularly guitly).

I have the 2014 OEM version which differs from the regular version as it ships with a slightly different air spring. It's a little heavier and more difficult to change the travel on, but otherwise identical.

Overall, it's probably the best fork in the bracket for the price.

Jotegr

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 11:52:52 PM »
Took her out for her maiden voyage Sunday night- It's good! Still some work to be done before it's ideal. I think the first order of business is a new rear tire, this one sucks hardcore.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 01:38:46 PM »
Cool shot! Long exposure or just a flash?
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

tegheim

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2017, 02:23:41 AM »
Is this the frame?
http://www.xmcarbonspeed.com/Productinfo.asp?f=1338

Did you go with 120mm total travel?