Author Topic: Help with Belt Drive System  (Read 1666 times)

tripleDot

Help with Belt Drive System
« on: July 10, 2021, 09:34:43 PM »
Hi all. I just realized my Chinese cf frame is actually carbon belt drive compatible and I'd like to take advantage of it. The frame is the Carbon Speed CS-496 (the Trek Stache copy). Due to it's elevated chainstay, the need for a split on the frame to accommodate the belt drive is not necessary.

I have just recently setup the bike as a single speed and want to give it a few months before I go with the belt drive system. So I'm using the time to do some research. The thing is most of the articles and YouTube videos I found are just 'pros & cons' and 'basic info' about belt drive system. I couldn't find any 'how to' and 'what you need' types of info. For now, I'm still undecided if I should go SS or with an internal geared hub. But Pinion box is definitely out due to the frame's design.

Perhaps you guys can help me out. Your personal experiences on building belt drive system or just point me to some articles or videos about how to do it.

Thanks.

July 2020 - Custom Waltly Ti 29er
Nov 2018 - Custom Waltly Ti Gravel
Apr 2018 - CS-496 29x3.0 - stripped
Feb 2018 - CS-RB01 (SS Road)
Sep 2016 - CS-RB01 (road sold)
Jun 2016 - Chinese CF XC - stripped
Mar 2016 - Haro Projekt (sold)
Feb 2008 - Jamis Durango 29 (sold)
Mar 2001 - Scott Scale (sold)

adriaanm

Re: Help with Belt Drive System
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 01:06:37 AM »
I built a commuter with an Alfine hub and gates cdn components (and regular square taper BB).

Gates has an app and a spreadsheet to help figure out the length of the belt you need at: https://www.gatescarbondrive.com/products/tools

I use their app to check the tension of the belt.

There’s not much else to it, except that “beltline” is more important than with chains. It needs to be pretty straight.

tripleDot

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 04:10:19 AM »
I built a commuter with an Alfine hub and gates cdn components (and regular square taper BB).

Gates has an app and a spreadsheet to help figure out the length of the belt you need at: https://www.gatescarbondrive.com/products/tools

I use their app to check the tension of the belt.

There’s not much else to it, except that “beltline” is more important than with chains. It needs to be pretty straight.

Thanks for that.

Do you know where I can get a calculator to determine what size chainring & sprocket in relation to the internal geared hub?

adriaanm

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 06:42:10 AM »
The final drive ratio isn’t specific to belts and sprockets. The same one you’d use for regular cogs and chains will work. IIRC the gates spreadsheet has something for the drive ratios.

Zdrenka89

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 07:44:07 AM »
I tried Gates Belt drive on a SS CX bike. The thought was that it would be great for mud and dirt. I hoped it would be efficient and easy to maintain so i gave it a try.

Honestly i didnt take long to get dissapointed. The first belt I got snapped after the first ride in thick mud. Granted it was very thick but it didnt get off to a good start.

I then got a new belt (very expensive and hard to source because they obviously come in specific lengths).

On my bike i use a Eccentric Bottom bracket. It worked perfectly well with a chain however because of the large amount of tension a belt requires i would have to clamp the mechanism VERY hard to not get it to slip.

Even when that worked the belt would still slip under the hardest of sprints. Not very confidence inspiring! After that a doubt got planted in my subconcience and I was a bit affraid of sprinting hard after that.

Cleaning was quite easy and longevity seemed quite ok - however the prices of the wear pieces were very expensive compared to a chain system.

Also my bottom bracket bearings wore out way sooner than other seasons because of the high tension....

After that experience I cant say i recommend trying it. It just has so few benefits considering the extra price you pay for a total system compared to a chain system. Seems interesting on paper - doesn't hold up in reality.

tripleDot

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2021, 09:13:49 AM »
Zdrenka89, I'll take your experience into consideration. Thank you for your inputs, much appreciated.

Zoc

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2021, 11:51:26 AM »
How can you adjust the tension on such a Frame?

tripleDot

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2021, 11:37:31 AM »
How can you adjust the tension on such a Frame?

Eccentric bb for pressfit. For now, that's what I can think of.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 11:40:58 AM by tripleDot »