Author Topic: ICAN P1 Trail-27.5'' (Chinese Carbon) 2021 Frame Build!  (Read 6910 times)

Crankydad

Re: ICAN P1 Trail-27.5'' (Chinese Carbon) 2021 Frame Build!
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2022, 12:51:15 PM »
My pleasure! That's great to hear. Hoping to help anyone thinking about buying this frame what to expect with challenges and providing resources to help with their build. Thanks for your reply and feedback!

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2022, 08:50:07 AM »
Now that you've had the P1 for a full year, what are your thoughts on ride quality, durability, etc.?  Can you give us an update?

Thanks!

Crankydad

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2022, 03:20:55 PM »
I've done about 35 rides on it with about 375 miles for about 1 year

I've enjoyed it very much so far! Previous to this bike, I rode a 29'er hardtail. The biggest difference I notice when riding over rough trails (chattery trail conditions) is that on hardtail it feels so uncomfortable and chattery, compared to riding this P1 full suspension bike that immediately disappears! So awesome, it's like I don't want to go back to riding hardtail anymore. Also, another difference I notice compared to riding 29'er hardtail, and riding this bike because it's 27.5'', I feel less fearful of descending technical terrain because I just feel more planted to the ground because of smaller wheel size and lower bottom bracket height. I have much more confidence, and don't have the fear of going over the bars as much

Ride quality has been excellent. The type of features I ride include climbing over some roots about 1ft or less in height, descending small to medium rock terrain, small drops 2ft or less, ramp/rock drops (about 3ft-4ft drops), small to medium sized jumps. I have not taken it to the bike park but been wanting to take it there as I've never been! I've just been able to do so much more riding this trail bike and love trying out new features I wouldn't have otherwise.

Durability has been impressive. Nothing to note here. I'd like to try it out at the bike park, and can report back when I'm able to get out there

Hope this helps!

-Crankydad

Crankydad

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2023, 01:26:53 PM »
Update as of June 26th 2023:

I've had approximate 48 rides and 500 miles on the ICAN P1 2021 bike so far. Bike has held up pretty well. I've finally have taken it to the bike park here in Southern CA earlier this month! My bike setup is 135mm rear shock travel and 150mm fork travel. It was a good time at the bike park! The flowy trails, the medium berms, the ladder bridges, the jumps, it felt like I was at the Disneyland of Mountain Biking! I definitely want to try and get back up there again. The green and blue trails were fun because the trails would wind around, and there are some techy ladder bridges. The black diamond advanced trails has some medium sized jumps that the bike handled just OK. I felt like I was almost bottoming out in my suspension and the landing felt a slight harsh. On double black expert trails with large jumps (which I did not fully clear, I'm still progressing on jumps. I didn't go as fast as I would want since still I'm still fearful and learning. I would ride up at a moderate speed and jump and either land onto the side of the trail, or would land in the middle of the table top before the sloped landing area). The landing felt real harsh, and in my opinion, I definitely needed more travel than my 135mm rear shock and 150mm fork. I demoed an Intense Tracer 29 (which had 160mm rear travel and 170mm fork travel), it felt so much more plush on the landing and I felt 10x more confident riding the jumps and the features.

Further, a minor item I had with the bike is the rear thru axle. I take out the thru axle every time I clean the bike, or want to service the bike, it's maybe 1-2x/month. One item that came up is that the top head of the thru axle which takes I believe a 8mm hex wrench has started to strip. I ended up stripping it so badly that the thru axle wouldn't turn anymore so I reached out to ICAN and they actually sent me a new thru axle. Which was great! Took about 1-2 weeks to receive it. But I was happy they did that, and luckily it was still under the 2 year warranty.

Moreover, regarding a minor rear thru axle item on the bike I've had trouble with. When I push the rear through axle through the frame, into the hub of the wheel, and then try to fasten into the thread on opposite side of the frame, sometimes the thru axle wouldn't catch on the thread. The thru axle would keep turning, but wouldn't fasten into the frame. It would work sometimes, and sometimes it would not. Eventually it stopped fastening all together. So I removed the derailleur hangar, and wanted to replace the derailleur hangar that ICAN provided with the bike during purchase. I tested the thru axle outside of the bike with that derailleur hangar, and it fastened perfectly.

Now, when I tried removing the flathead derailleur hangar fasteners (there's 2 fasteners needed to mount derailleur hangar to inside of the frame), I remembered I overtightened one of those small fasteners previously from a different time I removed the rear wheel. When I tried unfastening that overtightened screw, it wouldn't turn and I ended up stripping that tiny derailleur hangar screw. I've had trouble the last 3 weeks trying to remove it. I've tried 3 different methods with trying to remove the screw. #1) Using a stripped screw extractor, putting glue onto head of screw first and then hammering the extractor to the head of screw, and then using the drill bit extractor to unfasten. that did not work.

#2) I tried using the stripped screw extractor on the other side of the screw trying to unfasten at the bottom of the screw compared to the top since the bottom of screw is exposed on the outside of the frame. That didn't work. The screw is just too small.

#3) I tried using a wrench/pliers to untighten the nut of that tiny derailleur hanger screw, and that did not work.

It's been frustrating. To this day, the stripped screw is still in the frame.

What I'm about to say right now may not make sense, but I was actually able to remove the derailleur hangar, the nut of that stripped screw, what it does is actually pinch the derailleur hangar into the frame. The other flathead derailleur hangar fastener is the one that actually fastens into the derailleur hangar itself. That screw is fine, and I'm able to remove that one.

So I was able to put new derailleur hangar on the bike, I slid the derailleur hangar into the small space where that stripped screw and nut pinch it, I had to use plastic mallet to force it a little into that small space where it gets pinched, and then was able to fasten the other fastener of the derailleur hangar into the frame and into the derailleur hangar itself.

Further, I'm now still able to ride the bike.

That's all for now.

Thanks!

Crankydad

Short84691

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2024, 04:43:50 PM »
Hello!

I wanted to share my experience with building up an Ican P1 Frame with my fellow MTBs. For those who are thinking about buying an Ican P1 frame and want to know the ins and outs of the building process and road bumbs along the way. I've done a lot of reading on mtbr and Chinertown threads, and very few posts about the P1 frame. There's some posts about the P8 frame about 3-4 years ago (2017-2018). Ican from what I read changed the name of that frame from P8 to P1 probably around 2019 from a post that emu26 posted on Chinertown titled "P8 Geometry Change: Now known as P1."

This is my first build so I'm super excited to build it up! I ordered my frame in March 2021 and received it finally in June 2021. Been ordering parts along the way, and have everything together

This is what I have:
Frame- Ican P1 (2021)
Fork- DVO Diamond D1 (27.5)
Rear Shock- TBD
Drivetrain Shimano XT (2021):
Bottom Bracket- BBMT-8000 (68/73mm)
Chainring- XT 34T
Crankarms- XT M8120 (Boost 148mm rear spacing)- 170mm
Chain- XT M8100 w/ QL 12-speed
Cassette- XT M8100 10x51
Rear Derailleur- XT M8100 (1x12)
Shifter- M8100 Shifter I-spec (right rear)
Brakes (Front and Rear)- XT M8120 (4 piston brakes)
Rotor (Front and Rear)- XTM800- 180mm
Dropper Post- Crank Brothers Highline 7 (2020)
Dropper Remote- One Up (I-spec EV)
Wheelset- XT M8000 (27.5)
Tire (front)- Maxxis Minion DHR II (27.5 x 2.30)
Tire (rear)- Maxxis Aggressor (27.5 x 2.30)
Stem- E-Thirteen Base 35 stem (50mm)
Handlebar- E-Thirteen Plus Handlebar
Grips- Ergon Ge-1 (Blue)
Seat- Charge Spoon Seat
-----------
$5,000- Total cost of all parts (including some bike building tools)

I bought 90% of parts brand new, the other parts I bought used from Pinkbike

Why I selected the Ican P1:
1) Great reviews about it on forums and Youtube (Brad of Crown Performance Bicycles does great video reviews on Youtube of the Ican P9)
2) The frame can be used a 29'er and 27.5 (I liked the versatility of that)
3) Reasonable priced- I paid about $900 out the door (after taxes and delivery)

I will let you all the challenges I've had as well along the way. Will keep posted with photos and commentary

Will continue to update my build! Stay tuned!

Cheers,
Crankydad
Did you end up sticking with the 27x 2.3'' tires or did you go wider?  I am looking to run 27.5x 2.3 or 2.4 for my wife.  I do not want to run 27.5 plus tires.  I am just looking for ride quality on this frame with "normal" 27.5'' tires.

Crankydad

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2024, 10:07:05 PM »
"Did you end up sticking with the 27x 2.3'' tires or did you go wider?  I am looking to run 27.5x 2.3 or 2.4 for my wife.  I do not want to run 27.5 plus tires.  I am just looking for ride quality on this frame with "normal" 27.5'' tires."

I actually went wider. I returned the 27.5x2.3 and instead got 27.5 x 2.5'' both front and rear. I feel like it worked well for me, I liked the grip that it provides, and running lower air pressure. I usually run about 24 PSI rear and 22 psi front. I do enduro riding, enjoy technical terrain, rock gardens, medium jumps, and medium drops. The 2.5'' look pretty sick with the wider tires. I know with narrower tires, the climbing efficiency is incrementally better. I didn't notice too much of a difference with the 2.5''.

I hope this helps.

-Crankydad