Author Topic: Carbonda FM 1003 / Flybike FM 1266 180mm "Super Enduro"  (Read 26900 times)

Freda

Re: Carbonda FM 1003 / Flybike FM 1266 180mm "Super Enduro"
« Reply #90 on: October 27, 2022, 07:54:24 AM »
So tried to check this frame in linkage, anti-squat is very low. That is of course not exact and very theoretical. Can someone who have actually ridden this comment on how it rides and especially pedal-bob compared to some other full-suspension bike?

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #91 on: October 27, 2022, 01:55:11 PM »
So tried to check this frame in linkage, anti-squat is very low. That is of course not exact and very theoretical. Can someone who have actually ridden this comment on how it rides and especially pedal-bob compared to some other full-suspension bike?

That’s odd, maybe you weren’t accounting for the way the shock driving linkage behaves? Take a look at the Sherpa video that shows the linkage movement, it isn’t as simple as it looks when it’s just sitting there (a dual stage movement, instead of a single arc).

Last time I saw a kinematic graph for it from Carbonda, everything looked good except the anti-rise is a bit low so braking forces can interfere with suspension movement a little more than is ideal. Not a huge problem. Anti-squat looked fine, and the couple of owners who are out there so far seem to have reported great pedaling performance.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 09:22:12 PM by FullCarbonAlchemist »

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #92 on: October 27, 2022, 09:26:13 PM »

The graphs are on the first post of this thread, notably the anti-squat:

Jotegr

« Reply #93 on: October 27, 2022, 10:21:09 PM »
Doesn't seem that low, seems pretty good for an aggressive bike to me.

Freda

« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2022, 01:59:33 AM »
That’s odd, maybe you weren’t accounting for the way the shock driving linkage behaves? Take a look at the Sherpa video that shows the linkage movement, it isn’t as simple as it looks when it’s just sitting there (a dual stage movement, instead of a single arc).

Last time I saw a kinematic graph for it from Carbonda, everything looked good except the anti-rise is a bit low so braking forces can interfere with suspension movement a little more than is ideal. Not a huge problem. Anti-squat looked fine, and the couple of owners who are out there so far seem to have reported great pedaling performance.

Actually I came quite close to those values, must have been lucky!

Still compared to many other bikes it is very low, at sag already under 100% in most gears. Other bikes like canyon torque, Rocky Mountain slayer, Kavenz vhp, commencal meta and similar have much higher values.

I would say anti-rise is high, maybe not significantly but still much higher then earlier mentioned bikes.

This is still only a single-pivot, even if it is linkage driven. Maybe could have had main pivot more forward like orange bikes to get higher anti-squat.

Still an interesting option even if price is same or higher then big brand aluminium frame.

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #95 on: October 28, 2022, 02:13:10 AM »
One thing I’ve wondered about is the pivot chainline on the 1003, and how much running a bigger chainring would influence this.

Freda

« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2022, 02:52:37 AM »
One thing I’ve wondered about is the pivot chainline on the 1003, and how much running a bigger chainring would influence this.

Did some testing in linkage and anti-squat does change a lot between a 28t and a 34t chainring, 34t going from 100-25% and 28t from 140-75% in 15t on the cassette when going through the travel. But with the smaller chainring pedal-kickback might be an issue.

chetosmachine

« Reply #97 on: October 31, 2022, 03:05:55 AM »
Actually I came quite close to those values, must have been lucky!

Still compared to many other bikes it is very low, at sag already under 100% in most gears. Other bikes like canyon torque, Rocky Mountain slayer, Kavenz vhp, commencal meta and similar have much higher values.

I would say anti-rise is high, maybe not significantly but still much higher then earlier mentioned bikes.

This is still only a single-pivot, even if it is linkage driven. Maybe could have had main pivot more forward like orange bikes to get higher anti-squat.

Still an interesting option even if price is same or higher then big brand aluminium frame.

Could you please tell me which big brands offer alu frames at this price? i have a friend looking for something like this and all he finds is considerably higher cost :(

Dave TN

« Reply #98 on: October 31, 2022, 06:55:50 AM »
Freda,

I have the frame and I think it pedals VERY well. This is my second full-suspension bike (the first being a 2017 Diamondback Release) and the two frames are night and day, with the Carbonda FM1003 being the much superior climber (and descender). I believe there is one other forum member (Zooky, I believe) who rides this frame but as I recall, he thought it climbed as well as his hardtail. I'm pretty darn happy with it. Also, someone had paint issues with their frame in the past. Mine is holding up quite nicely and the CFR707 frame is too. Cheers!

zaphodbeeblebrox

« Reply #99 on: October 31, 2022, 01:25:29 PM »
Could you please tell me which big brands offer alu frames at this price? i have a friend looking for something like this and all he finds is considerably higher cost :(

I think the closest option is probably the propain spindrift AL? https://www.propain-bikes.com/en/product/framesets/frameset-spindrift-al-29/ At least if you're in Europe, it's more expensive in NA.

It's mentioned earlier in this thread, but the Bird Aeris 9 is an interesting option, however with the 180mm link it ends up at just under1600usd https://www.bird.bike/product/aeris-9-frameset/#configuration

I've been considering the 1003 for a while now, but the lack of a bottle cage is holding me back. It'd just be a park/lift day bike, and in that case a full dh bike might just make more sense.

Freda

« Reply #100 on: October 31, 2022, 02:30:00 PM »
Freda,

I have the frame and I think it pedals VERY well. This is my second full-suspension bike (the first being a 2017 Diamondback Release) and the two frames are night and day, with the Carbonda FM1003 being the much superior climber (and descender). I believe there is one other forum member (Zooky, I believe) who rides this frame but as I recall, he thought it climbed as well as his hardtail. I'm pretty darn happy with it. Also, someone had paint issues with their frame in the past. Mine is holding up quite nicely and the CFR707 frame is too. Cheers!

Yes that is what I asked for and wanted to hear! Real world testing, because even if the number are interesting it is still very theoretical and cannot compare to actual riding. Thank you!

Compared to hardtails I would say any decent full-suspension climb better.  Much more traction in most situations. Maybe xc competitors might have a different opinion but I am usually not in hurry!

Freda

« Reply #101 on: October 31, 2022, 02:35:04 PM »
I think the closest option is probably the propain spindrift AL? https://www.propain-bikes.com/en/product/framesets/frameset-spindrift-al-29/ At least if you're in Europe, it's more expensive in NA.

It's mentioned earlier in this thread, but the Bird Aeris 9 is an interesting option, however with the 180mm link it ends up at just under1600usd https://www.bird.bike/product/aeris-9-frameset/#configuration

I've been considering the 1003 for a while now, but the lack of a bottle cage is holding me back. It'd just be a park/lift day bike, and in that case a full dh bike might just make more sense.

Spindrift would be a good option, also commencal, vitus, canyon, cube and probably many others. Not sure if they are all available as frame only, but many are. Personally I don’t mind aluminium frames, these are all built with heavy parts anyway.

stoveham

« Reply #102 on: November 02, 2022, 12:16:33 PM »
hello everyone! long time lurker first time poster

Thanks to the guidance in this forum I bought a Carbonda FM936 two years ago and have really enjoyed it since. It's the perfect steed for crushing New England XC Singletrack. I also have a Ripmo that I ride when things get steeper. This frame intrigued me as the Ripmo can get interesting plowing through rough stuff at the bike park or otherwise so I pulled the trigger a few weeks back.

I built this up last week and had a chance to get out and pedal it around the local trails today. It is quite a beast - definitely heavier and different to pedal than the Ripmo (is there a better pedaling platform than the DW link??) but I was pleasantly surprised at how well the FM-1003 pedals and climbs for a 180/180 frame. I used to have a 160/170 Rallon and this pedals better than that frame. I deliberately started with a 30t chainring to try and reduce pedal bob associated with the suspension design, and I think it worked well. The float X pairs really well with the frame, gives plenty of pop and play while being supportive. I will also be trying an X2 to see how that feels.

So far, I'm really happy with the design of the frame - the internal routing is way better than the FM936 and the linkage, etc. all seems very beefy and overbuilt. My only complaint is the paint job leaves something to be desired...the clear coat seems thin, especially around the cable ports, and already shows some wear. FYI it takes a 200mm rotor in the rear, which surprised me. I have to return some adapters now!

I am taking it to the bike park tomorrow and looking forward to putting it to the test.

Ignore the mismatching wheel/tyre set...waiting on a new rotor to switch the rear wheel with my conti's.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 12:18:30 PM by stoveham »

casual_build

« Reply #103 on: November 02, 2022, 03:16:32 PM »
Wow! What a nice surprise build. Looks like its ready for the bike park.

My only complaint is the paint job leaves something to be desired...the clear coat seems thin, especially around the cable ports, and already shows some wear.

My FM1002 also has a poor clear coat, but also my color isn't sticking to the primer. Consider yourself lucky! I already have tons of chips in the paint.

Thanks for the post, please give us an updated review.

carbonazza

« Reply #104 on: November 02, 2022, 06:03:37 PM »
Wow! What a nice surprise build. Looks like its ready for the bike park.
My FM1002 also has a poor clear coat, but also my color isn't sticking to the primer. Consider yourself lucky! I already have tons of chips in the paint.

Did Carbonda said something about it ?