Author Topic: Frame selection  (Read 4818 times)

Dustin_mud

Frame selection
« on: October 28, 2014, 07:28:51 PM »
  Hey everyone I could really use some help on selecting a replacment frame for my Jamis. The bike is a 2012 Jamis Dragon with all stock components other then a carbon fsa crank and fsa headset. I do have a spare black flag expert wheelset(been told better then the wtb set.

My question is what would be the best replacement frame? I'm looking at buying through flyxii. I never built a bike before so all the help and info would be very appreciated.

Dustin_mud

Re: Frame selection
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 07:31:42 PM »

This is what I have now, looking for best bang for the buck.

Izzy

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 10:00:23 PM »
Hmm - This will interesting. I'm not all too familiar with the flyxii model of frames:

Does anybody know which if these frames is the equivalent of the 057 and 256 frames?

We'll find you the best frame once we get all the different models sorted. Til then, it looks like you should have plenty of stem left on your fork, which is good.

Two criteria that you'll need to check off your list is you'll need a standard BSA bottom bracket frame, and standard QR rear axle, bc I believe the expert model black flags aren't capable of converting to 142x12.

So, to get you started - your frame must be:

1.  standard BSA bottom bracket
2.  standard QR rear axle

Dustin_mud

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 10:38:11 PM »
So my crankset is a BSA? Sorry like I said I'm very new to this and don't know the difference between them.

Dustin_mud

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 07:20:27 PM »
I thought mine was the press fit bb30?

Sussed.

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 05:36:45 AM »
Hi Dustin,

was having a browse around and found your current specs here:-

http://www.rbinc-sports.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&Itemid=399&id=253%3Adragon-29-sport

The original bike came with a SRAM GXP Bottom bracket which fits the standard english/BSA BB shells.  Confusing I know !

Quote:

"The GXP Team Bottom Bracket uses steel bearings and fits standard English threaded frame designs. Will not fit a PressFit or BB30 frame.'

(From:http://www.artscyclery.com/Sram_Truvativ_GXP_Team_Bottom_Bracket/descpage-TVBBGEN.html)

As Izzy said, you will need BSA BB and Standard QR axle.  Do you know the frame size of the Jamis ?  If so, you can compare the geometries between the Jamis and the Flyxxi frame of your choice and find the frame size that will suit you.

I think Flyxxi have just signed up on here so it may be worth PM ing them with your requirements and see what they say.

Dustin_mud

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 09:50:28 AM »
It's a 21 but I think I want to step down to a 19, thank you very much for looking into all this for me.

Sussed.

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 10:13:46 AM »
No worries ! (Too much time on my hands at the moment !)

After looking at specs of both the Flyxxi 216 (for e.g.) and your current frame you will need to source a few new parts as not everything will swap over.

You will need at minimum new seat post (31.6mm diameter), a new headset (tapered), 2 new FD/RD cables and housing and new compression fittings and barb for the the rear brake.  Nothing pricey even if buying new but be aware.   :)

Dustin_mud

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 10:27:03 AM »
So the 135mm frame or 142?

Sussed.

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 11:40:34 AM »
135mm or 142mm refers to the distance between the dropouts where the rear wheel fits into the frame.  If you are re-using the same wheels or the Black Flags you will need probably need a 135mm Frame. (Also referred to as Standard QR !) You can double check this by getting a tape measure/calipers and measuring the distance between the drop outs on the Jamis.

(Photo pinched from google images)

Hope this helps.

Dustin_mud

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 12:38:26 PM »
Thank you again, sorry for all the newbie questions.

Dustin_mud

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2014, 11:59:54 AM »
After today's ride I'm sick of a 31 pound bike so Monday im going to put in my order for the frame.

cmh

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 04:52:22 PM »
Did a quick search, sounds like the Black Flag wheels are convertible to the 142x12 standard if they're at least from 2012:

http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/sun-ringle-black-flag-29er-rear-conversion-142-x-12-a-826661.html

So if you felt inclined, you could go with that, but honestly - 135mm quick release wheels work pretty darn well as well. Easiest to stick with what you've already got, for sure.