Author Topic: Airtags! Remove the speaker without damaging the tag  (Read 3768 times)

1Sigma

Airtags! Remove the speaker without damaging the tag
« on: September 14, 2021, 03:12:42 PM »
Anyone else using them as cheap bike theft insurance?

If so, where is everyone placing them?  They are a fair bit larger than I anticipated, and apparently they do not transmit well through carbon

Under the saddle seems popular, but not the most difficult place to spot. 

For now, I have it strapped to the top of my saddle clamp, somewhat camouflaged in an old piece of inner tube. 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 07:15:18 AM by 1Sigma »

Better than average - Extra Average

Snacks

Re: Airtags!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 03:55:51 PM »
Using this to keep it under the bottle cage

AirTag Bike Mount Holder Bracket Attachment (Bolts Included) for Standard Bottle Cage 64mm Bicycle Cycling Accessory https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0954RVTBL/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_FXEW7RPD2F3CM1RRFEET?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 04:54:27 PM »
Not yet, but likely soon. I was all excited about this bc I thought I could just secure it deep inside the frame and no one would ever know it's there but then I realized that wasn't possible so I kinda abandoned the idea, but your's looks pretty hidden.

1Sigma

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 08:30:19 PM »
Not yet, but likely soon. I was all excited about this bc I thought I could just secure it deep inside the frame and no one would ever know it's there but then I realized that wasn't possible so I kinda abandoned the idea, but your's looks pretty hidden.

Thanks.  It was the best idea I could think of.  Originally I was hoping to glue it inside the seatpost.
Apparently it doesn't get picked up in there

I imagine for many road builds with carbon aero bars, you could hide it on the underside of the bar under the bar tape.

You'd figure that they'd make a computer mount that hides an airtag. With a garmin/wahoo/etc.  mount on top of it

« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 08:32:10 PM by 1Sigma »

olajosgatya

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 01:41:24 PM »
apparently they do not transmit well through carbon
Do you have more info about this? My EW-WU111 Di2 transmitter is in my carbon road bikes downtube. I just tried to connect to it over bluetooth with my phone from circa 3-4 meters and connected quickly. Did not notice any visible lag because I was further away. And I think the airtags also use ble (although Apple does like to come up with proprietary solutions).

I do not have yet any airtags but planning to use them with my best bike. I actually wanted to use two. One in a fairly visible location like what Snacks posted or under the saddle. And one somewhere totally hidden. This way finding the obvious one might provide some false safety feeling to the thief while I still have a chance to recover my bike.

My hidden position would be inside the downtube from the bottom bracket end. I would use one of these strips:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Command-17205-12PK-Picture-Hanging-17205-12pk/dp/B00OI6NQUI

I have a bb86 bottom bracket so to make the yearly airtag battery replacement simpler I would get one of those screw together bb from aliexpress.

Snacks

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 05:33:10 PM »

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 06:25:54 PM »
This is a cool post from the creator of the airtag mount I posted before.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bicycling/comments/pozl05/i_just_got_notified_that_the_airtag_bike_mount_i/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Very cool. Simple invention, big results. This looks to be one of the better options.

1Sigma

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 12:30:41 PM »
Do you have more info about this?
Unfortunately I do not.  Just GP Lama's video, and somewhere else (I forget)  I should test it out, to verify

I actually wanted to use two. One in a fairly visible location like what Snacks posted or under the saddle. And one somewhere totally hidden. This way finding the obvious one might provide some false safety feeling to the thief while I still have a chance to recover my bike.

Great idea.  I think I might have to do that as well.

Very cool. Simple invention, big results. This looks to be one of the better options.

This one from AliExpress also looks good.  Hides in the headset cover.  It would perfect if the finish on the cap were nicer, and had a false hex bolt head. 

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/1005003072778100.html

1Sigma

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2021, 07:14:51 AM »
Here is a link on how to remove the speaker without permanently damaging the tag.
Mine is now a silent tracking device

etbandung

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2021, 12:54:21 PM »
Here is a link on how to remove the speaker without permanently damaging the tag.
Mine is now a silent tracking device

well shared info mate