Author Topic: Carbon Wheel Help  (Read 3695 times)

oclax03

Carbon Wheel Help
« on: October 31, 2014, 09:04:15 AM »
So I'm looking for some sweet carbon rims and the prices of these chinese rims have me intrigued. I've been stalking forums for a few days now, but the amount of information on these threads is rather overwhelming.

I'm looking at either 38mm or 50mm u-shape tubular rims, but I've become worried by people talking about their experiences with pulsing and other brake track defects. Is this typically a problem with tubulars or just clinchers? Is this a common issue with the Chinese wheels?

Also, I've contacted a few companies for quotes. So far Dengfu is the cheapest (184/pair), but I haven't been able to find much information on people's experiences with the Dengfu wheels. I've also spoken with FarSport and velobuildmall and their prices are a tad more expensive (about 80-100 dollars), but the reviews from people have been fairly mixed. If anyone has opinions on the best source for Chinese rims I would really appreciate any information.

cmh

Re: Carbon Wheel Help
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 07:23:28 AM »
No experience with the Chinese carbon rims, but I might have something for you.  I bought a pair of Taiwanese Gigantex 50mm tubulars a while back, but wound up not building them up.  They look really nice, I just changed my mind after I could have returned them. I've got a 24h for the front, and a 28h for the rear, and would be willing to let the pair go cheap. Right now they're just sitting in the shop.

Got them from here, I think they were like $220 new or something like that:

http://www.bikehubstore.com/category-s/124.htm

Worth noting is that they are _not_ the 25mm wide rims.