Author Topic: John's IP-057 build - first bike build ever  (Read 46750 times)

cmh

Re: John's IP-057 build - first bike build ever
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2014, 09:48:06 AM »
I also like the RaRas, but the cost and the rate at which they wear has me a bit concerned.  I'll probably look elsewhere when it comes time to replace.

Agreed on that as well. I've run RaRas before, and they're fast, but I actually found them to be slicker than SB8's in front use. That, and how quickly my wife would kill her Rocket Rons was concerning.  Oh, and the budget "performance" line Rons were downright f*king terrifying on wet roots and rocks. The EVO's were better but then they'd wear out quick.

Right now we're on Continentals. The RaceSports are *light* but the sidewall is like paper, so most of our tires are the ProTection models, which has the same Black Chili tread compound as the RaceSports, and are much easier to set up tubeless.  I run a Mountain King front with an X-King in the back, and she's got X-Kings front and rear.

outriding9800

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2014, 01:26:28 PM »

I did like them as a rear, but stuck with the Nevegal in the front.   I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on them in your terrain.

I also like the RaRas, but the cost and the rate at which they wear has me a bit concerned.  I'll probably look elsewhere when it comes time to replace.

yea a little sand.. mostly soft to hard pack dirt very few rocks..

when i got my RARAs last year i road them for like a month then decided to break my knee.. just started back riding and yea they are not wearing as well as i wish they would..

Points to the people who can guess the trail (SE michigan)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 01:29:13 PM by outriding9800 »

jwilds1

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2014, 07:07:38 PM »
Stony creek?

Vipassana

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2014, 07:15:38 PM »
I wouldn't know... I lives in Flint my entire time in Michigan and only rode my free ride bike around the downtown area.  I miss Michigan. I don't miss Flint or the winters.

outriding9800

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2014, 07:39:56 PM »
Pontiac lake...

I dont like riding stoney for some reason.. i live a few miles from it.

If i want a quick ride i cruise up and down Macomb orchard trail.

Vipassana.. yea i grew up just north of flint in Clio..

blueducati

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2014, 07:54:25 PM »
I've never ridden a Mtb yet, but all my friends go to Stony, Addison Oaks, or bald mountain. My subdivision borders on Bald Mt South, so with that, the paint creek, and Addison, I should be all set. Looking forward to this!

Any of you guys doing Iceman?

jwilds1

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2014, 11:35:11 AM »
Today's update: zilch.  Nada.  Bupkis.

Frame still hasn't been fabbed.  Was told 20-25 days from October 13th to coming back in stock.  Getting frustrated >:(

In good news, though, I added another 1/2 bottle of Stan's to each wheel and they've now held air going on 4 days.  I'm pretty sure I shorted the amount I put into each tire because when I reached the end of each bottle there was a pretty good slug of latex in the nozzle of each bottle.  An extra 1/2 bottle (about 1 oz) seemed to do the trick.

Ordered a bike stand to help make things easier once the d**n frame gets here.

cmh

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2014, 10:34:10 AM »
Today's update: zilch.  Nada.  Bupkis.

Frame still hasn't been fabbed.  Was told 20-25 days from October 13th to coming back in stock.  Getting frustrated >:(

Ouch, damn.  Sorry to hear that. You're at least getting updates that there is no update? For my first attempt at a road frame it was three weeks during which there was no communication and then when I contacted them I was told that what I wanted was out of stock and they started asking me questions.  Uh - why weren't you asking me those questions earlier?

I echo the sentiments that whomever figures out to pair these frames with good communication, good websites, and good information - will clean up.

In good news, though, I added another 1/2 bottle of Stan's to each wheel and they've now held air going on 4 days.  I'm pretty sure I shorted the amount I put into each tire because when I reached the end of each bottle there was a pretty good slug of latex in the nozzle of each bottle.  An extra 1/2 bottle (about 1 oz) seemed to do the trick.

Don't worry too much about tires not holding air for too long before you ride it. Some tires just won't seal up right until the bike is ridden. Older Continentals were notoriously bad (for me at least) at this.  Could barely get them to hold air overnight, until I got out on the trail and rode them. That's what really agitates the sealant and lets it finally seal up the little pinholes and such.

jwilds1

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2014, 02:01:55 PM »
Ouch, damn.  Sorry to hear that. You're at least getting updates that there is no update? For my first attempt at a road frame it was three weeks during which there was no communication and then when I contacted them I was told that what I wanted was out of stock and they started asking me questions.  Uh - why weren't you asking me those questions earlier?

I echo the sentiments that whomever figures out to pair these frames with good communication, good websites, and good information - will clean up.

I can't say zero communications, but it's definitely lacking.  I received the wheels 18 days after I placed the order.  I sent Peter a note indicating I got the wheels, and asked what the status was of the frame.  I got no response.  Waited a few days, and sent another request, got a same-day response indicating that the frame still wasn't fabbed up.

I'm not mad, just a little bummed out.  I was thinking/hoping I could get it finished before it started getting cold/messy outside here, but temps in the next week are dropping into the 30's (Fahrenheit), along with rain/snow so I'm thinking the season is over.

blueducati

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2014, 02:20:43 PM »
The season is never over!

I'm sorry that you're getting frustrated. I'm not quite at that point, just anxious. My frame (256-SL) was shipped out 8 days ago, and the tracking info hasn't been updated since, so I'm not quite sure where it's at. Hopefully I'll see it any day now. Sounds like that is pretty common with shipping through EMS/USPS though. That's not iPlay's fault though, but I wish there was better communication between the shippers.

jwilds1

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2014, 05:45:10 AM »
Moral dilemma -

Sent Peter a request for an update.  My 057 still hasn't been made.  Asked if there was an IP-256 he could substitute.  He said there was, and I'd have to pay almost the full cost difference between the two.

Starting to get really frustrated...  What would you do?  I haven't looked too much at the 256...

jwilds1

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2014, 06:00:46 PM »
Well, it's been a few weeks, and nothing but good news.  First, my frame was finally shipped last Friday!!!!

Second, all the waiting gave me time to fix up the basement and build a little bike workshop -

Ignore home plate :)  This used to be a baseball batting cage.  Only thing missing is something to hold the bikes and I had a epiphany on it so it's back to the hardware store for stuff...

CAN'T WAIT!!!!

cmh

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2014, 10:40:16 AM »
Well, it's been a few weeks, and nothing but good news.  First, my frame was finally shipped last Friday!!!!

Second, all the waiting gave me time to fix up the basement and build a little bike workshop -

Ignore home plate :)  This used to be a baseball batting cage.  Only thing missing is something to hold the bikes and I had a epiphany on it so it's back to the hardware store for stuff...

CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Nice workspace!  What's the fat bike?  Due to availability and us getting into the winter I might shelf my Chiner hardtail project for now, but am looking at fat bikes.

jwilds1

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2014, 12:04:20 PM »
It's a Bikesdirect.com fattie - Motobecane Fantom Pro.  It's okay, something cheap to make winter a little more interesting.  If I didn't drop every spare penny I had into my Chiner build, I would have purchased some new tires for it - the Vee Rubber Missions SUCK.

BTW, bike is already in New York.  Peter must have put it on a plane...

jwilds1

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2014, 08:37:22 AM »
Question about Customs - when my wheels were shipped, they flew through New York, and don't even think they stopped at Customs:

My frame has now been there for 2.5 days with no movement.

Is this typical??
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 11:50:59 AM by jwilds1 »