Author Topic: John's IP-057 build - first bike build ever  (Read 46617 times)

blueducati

Re: John's IP-057 build - first bike build ever
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2014, 08:47:29 AM »
Mine never said Inbound Into Customs. Mine looked just like your wheels did. Maybe give it another day or so and then give USPS a call? They might be able to give you more detailed information. Or, you can always start an investigation and they will assign you a case number and have someone call you.

turboenterprise

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2014, 05:46:36 PM »
I wouldn't worry much Peter has always delivered but it takes time to get from China.

jwilds1

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2014, 04:32:26 PM »
Still in Customs.  >:(  Contacted the Post Office, and they said it's out of their hands.  Not really looking forward to harassing CBP, so I plan on giving it a few more days.

So frustrating...

Reggie n SF

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2014, 08:56:53 PM »
How are those Nova tech hubs performing? Im not really an offroad rider, I will mainly be riding on road and hard surfaces with my MTB, and could you give a recommendation on tires also? Thanks and goodluck with receiving your parts.

jwilds1

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2014, 08:12:33 AM »
First, I can only say that the reviews on the Novatech hubs have been pretty good.  If you search around here, there's some more info.  I seem to remember someone finding a way to replace bearings as well.  I can't speak first-hand, obviously...

Second - SCORE!!!!

« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 08:27:47 AM by jwilds1 »

jwilds1

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2014, 08:27:17 AM »

Finally, FINALLY arrived yesterday.  Got held at Customs for a week, and I ended up owing $25 in duties (sounds like a swag number, if you ask me, but whatever).  1333g with nothing on it for a 17.5" IP-057 with BSA.  Box was in pretty good shape, packaging was nice and robust.

Now the fun begins!!!  I'm going to be asking a TON of questions, most likely needing a lot of help with the brakes and trying to route pre-bled XT assemblies through the internals.  Also, like foamman's build, is there a sequence these things should be put together - ie, fork, then front brakes, then rear der, then????  I don't really want to install something then have to uninstall because it's in the way or makes things harder...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 08:30:29 AM by jwilds1 »

jwilds1

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2014, 07:41:18 PM »
Progress...

Started fork & headset installation.  No issues with upper, ran into issues with the lower.  Very similar to what others experienced here.  A couple of swipes with 320-grit sandpaper around the inside of the lower, and the bearing popped right in.

Went to install crown race on the fork...  Checked garage for right-size PVC - no joy.  Found hole saw of appropriate size, but not the washer that seats it to the bit, so I'm going to have to stop by Home Depot tomorrow.

At least I got it....

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2014, 07:32:48 AM »
Looks like you are on your way.  Good luck with your build.

My general build order was:

1) Headset & Fork
2) Bottom bracket & crank
3) Brakes
4) Deraileur & shifter
5) wheels & tires & cassette
6) Seat & post
7) Chain & pedals
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

blueducati

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2014, 08:08:58 AM »
I'm glad you finally got your frame! I know it was probably really frustrating waiting for it to show up.

For the crown race, I covered a flat head screw driver with a bunch of layers of duct tape and used it with a hammer as a tamp to get it to fit.

Another tip, for internal cable routing... pick up one of those telescoping magnetic things that you use to pick up bolts from engine bays. I used that to grab the end of my cable as i was routing it through my frame, worked out really well.

outriding9800

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2014, 10:32:18 AM »
I actually made a tool to seat the crown race..

just some PVC pipe will work just fine..

jwilds1

« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2014, 06:20:56 PM »
Anyone have issues installing the bottom bracket? I have one spacer on the drive side and none on the other, which I think is right. My issue is tryino to thread the adapter into the bracket. Very rough, and I worry about cross threading.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2014, 06:49:04 PM »
My IP-057, both BB bearings threaded in smoothly.  On my IP-036, I had one side thread smoothly, the other was rougher so I used a metal pick to clean out the threads which helped a good deal.

As for the spacers, measure the width of your BB, you should either need none or both, depending on if the width is 68mm (2 spacers), or 73mm (no spacers). My IP-057 did not need spacers, but my IP-036 needed both, one on each side.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Patrick C.

« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2014, 07:04:39 PM »
The Shimano instructions call for one spacer on the drive side, but when I put it together like that on my IP-057 the chainline was horrible.  It worked better with no spacers, but I still get noisy engagement on the big chainring in front if I have it in the largest or second largest gear in the back.  Some pics of the chainline halfway down the first page here http://chinertown.com/index.php?topic=139.0   

MTB2223

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2014, 07:34:19 AM »
The Shimano instructions call for one spacer on the drive side, but when I put it together like that on my IP-057 the chainline was horrible.  It worked better with no spacers, but I still get noisy engagement on the big chainring in front if I have it in the largest or second largest gear in the back.
Same here on my IP256SL. Don't use spacers, still the same noise like you descripted.

jwilds1

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2014, 07:41:49 AM »

Progress made last night - got the race installed on the fork and was able to install the fork, bars, front brake, and started to route the rear derailleur cable.  I was really worried about installing the star nut, but lo and behold I didn't have to (told you I'm a novice!).  The video posted in the other thread about installing the Neco headset was great.  Fork is probably about 1.5"-2" longer than it needs to be, but much like a haircut, it's easier to take more off than put it back. 

Rear shift cable housing is still really long, as I initially thought it was routed on the left side of the headset, so I have to shorten that up.  I'm using the Jagwire housings from the kit I bought but the Shimano cables that came with the shifters.  Do you foresee any problems with that?

I'm going to hold off on the bottom bracket until a) I can clean out those threads, and b) I can borrow a wrench (BBT9) from a guy I work with next week. Will first set it up with no spacers.

So, I think I'm going to tackle routing the front derailleur, and possibly the rear brake.

WARNING - STUPID QUESTIONS AHEAD!!!

1) Once the shift cables are routed internally, I need to remove the white tubes that came from the factory, right?
2) How on earth do I go about routing the rear brake without having to re-bleed? 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 09:11:09 AM by jwilds1 »