Author Topic: SOLD! Tubular 50mm road rims, 24/28h  (Read 4771 times)

cmh

SOLD! Tubular 50mm road rims, 24/28h
« on: November 04, 2014, 06:16:56 AM »
These rims are sold!
I bought a set of Gigantex tubular 50mm deep road rims a while back with plans to build myself a wheelset, but never did, and decided I wasn't likely to. So, this set of rims is completely new and unused. Not Chinese, but Taiwanese, sourced from http://bikehubstore.com/ and were something like $220 each when I got them. (not affiliated with BHS, but I have bought a bunch of stuff from there and have been really happy with them)

https://plus.google.com/photos/118048517346415993560/albums/6077658058463149761?banner=pwa

At this point, just looking to get rid of them to help fund my Chiner project, so thinking $100 for the set + shipping. If you supplied the hubs and spokes, I could do the build for you as well, I've been building wheels for myself and others since the early 90s.

As you can see in the photos, it's a 3K weave under the tire and at the spoke bed, but a UD weave on the sidewalls.

I should also note that these are narrow, not the new trend towards wider rims such as 25mm. I think they measure about 21mm at the brake track.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 07:12:24 AM by cmh »

Izzy

Re: Tubular 50mm road rims, 24/28h
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 10:36:56 AM »
Damn, that's a ridiculously good deal - Hey cmh, I have no interest in building a road bike but had been considering a cross bike for some time. Would these be suitable for such a build or are they strictly for the asphalt? Fairly certain the answer is they are strictly road bike rims, but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Really glad to see the classifieds section growing a bit. Hopefully, in time, I'll be able to snag some good deals on here (I hate using fleabay and/or Alibaba) 

« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 10:45:29 AM by Izzy »

cmh

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 05:46:17 PM »
Damn, that's a ridiculously good deal - Hey cmh, I have no interest in building a road bike but had been considering a cross bike for some time. Would these be suitable for such a build or are they strictly for the asphalt? Fairly certain the answer is they are strictly road bike rims, but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Really glad to see the classifieds section growing a bit. Hopefully, in time, I'll be able to snag some good deals on here (I hate using fleabay and/or Alibaba)

Yeah, it dawned on me as I almost tripped on the rims the other day and then saw someone asking about road rims. I know this is mostly a MTB forum but thought it was worth throwing it out there.  My f-up, your benefit, all that, plus it gets me closer to my Chiner. :D

As for use on a cyclocross bike, I've seen many pro cross bikes running deep tubular rims like this.  The deep V section results in a much stiffer/stronger rim so as long as you're not hucking huge drops on your cross bike, I don't think you'd have any problems with these.  If you are hucking huge drops on your cross bike, well, my hat is off to you, sir. :D

Quick google search for "pro cyclocross bikes" returns a whole bunch of bikes with spendy deep section rims:
https://www.google.com/search?q=pro+cyclocross+bikes&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=d2RZVJClL4WvyATOvoD4Ag&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1274&bih=778

Tubulars are _very_ popular in cyclocross since they run shockingly low pressures, and tubes would pinch flat _pronto_.  Local cyclocross guys tell me that tubeless isn't reliable enough in cross, I guess without the volume they tend to burp easier since the pressures are comparable but the tires are far smaller.

cmh

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 05:47:15 PM »
Oh and I saw the proposed rules about 25-50 post minimum, but I figured WTH, plus I think you can see from my posts I'm at least reasonably legit. :D

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 06:42:04 PM »
Oh and I saw the proposed rules about 25-50 post minimum, but I figured WTH, plus I think you can see from my posts I'm at least reasonably legit. :D

Proposed being the key word here - Your post is perfectly fine, good sir.

And yes, that's a killer deal. Almost makes me want to build a road bike just for the heck of it. But alas.. I owned one for two months and I simply could not get used to the road type handle bars. I also think maybe the geometry was too aggressive for my tastes, as well. Eventually, I'd like to try out the road type of bars / and shifters again on a more relaxed geometry road bike. Sorry to go off a topic a bit, cmh, not trying to thread derail.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 06:45:10 PM by Sitar_Ned »

cmh

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 08:26:39 PM »
Proposed being the key word here - Your post is perfectly fine, good sir.

Wuhu! :D

And yes, that's a killer deal. Almost makes me want to build a road bike just for the heck of it. But alas.. I owned one for two months and I simply could not get used to the road type handle bars. I also think maybe the geometry was too aggressive for my tastes, as well. Eventually, I'd like to try out the road type of bars / and shifters again on a more relaxed geometry road bike. Sorry to go off a topic a bit, cmh, not trying to thread derail.

No worries at all. I remembered - these rims (and most all carbon rims) require special pads, and I _think_ I have them.  If I can figure out which ones they are and _find_ them, I'll gladly include them with the rims.

cmh

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 07:52:38 AM »
These rims are still available.