Author Topic: AM831 competitors? Help knudge me over!  (Read 2348 times)

Eddy-haideli

Re: AM831 competitors? Help knudge me over!
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2021, 11:33:04 PM »
Contact me to join the groupbuy B order.

Thanks

Eddy@haidelibicycle.com

darius72

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2021, 12:15:27 AM »
Where did you get that number from?

I read an article on pinkbike or another similar page where a world cup rider needed a DH frame of a very big size (like XXL) for him and the company was reluctant to do it as the cost is around 100K usd for the mold and such a big size has very low sell appeal to the normal customers.

RobertRinAustin

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2021, 12:48:25 PM »
I read an article on pinkbike or another similar page where a world cup rider needed a DH frame of a very big size (like XXL) for him and the company was reluctant to do it as the cost is around 100K usd for the mold and such a big size has very low sell appeal to the normal customers.
This squares up with numbers I've seen, $60k-$100k per mold. Figure a 2 piece FS frame has to be on the higher end. I remember a few years back there was a startup that had a process for 3D printing CF parts.  Their PoC, and the reason it caught my attention, was a funky shape bike frame.

Schumo

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2021, 03:41:05 PM »
I had something like 10k $/€ in the back of the head. And that sounds more realistic to me for a big chunk of Aluminium and some machining.

Plus I doubt we would see Hardtail frames for 300€ incl. Shipping if a mould was $60k per size. Or even the wide variety of chinese carbon frames we now have.

Snacks

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2021, 08:15:44 PM »
Yea I remember reading something similar. $10k usd for the mould for each size . So maybe the $60-100k was for all sizes

Edit - yup here's one article that states this. https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/product-news/inside-frame-design-489852

I don't like cycling weekly so I'm sure I've read that figure somewhere else. I could have swore it was an article quoting the prices the giant factory offered for its moulds
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 08:20:10 PM by Snacks »