Author Topic: Carbon Rims - More money = better?  (Read 1567 times)

Ben78

Carbon Rims - More money = better?
« on: November 18, 2021, 01:42:09 PM »
I bought a pair of Carbon Beam 29" 30x30 rims for my ICAN build, put them on Venfort DT copies for a total built weight of 1425g. I chose the lightweight 315g for front and AM 360g for the rear. They are cheap at $130usd each including delivery.

However in less than 100km the rear is destroyed by a rock strike. Now I get that rock strikes aren't warranty, however when it comes down to it, the seller advertises these as AM with a weight rating of 120kg for mountain bike use. I didn't even hear the rock strike and have been pretty careful on this bike to ensure my riding isn't as enthusiastic so to speak as my heavier duty enduro bike. That said, I have destroyed several aluminium rims over the last couple of years, but they are a LOT cheaper too...

I had a look at Lightbicycle, they have a great writeup on different layups and light/standard/heavy duty layup options, however their rims come out to $366 ea delivered.

Is a $366 rim less prone to destruction from rock strike than a $130 rim?

zilcho

Re: Carbon Rims - More money = better?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 02:10:29 PM »
I think any response is going to be anecdotal at best and even the biggest names can have issues with rock strikes. I know multiple people putting in over 10,000 miles a year in rocky terrain, across all types of rims and price points, and the worst results are a broken spoke here and there or a wheel that needs trued. If you're running through multiple rims in just a few years it might be the rider and not the price point? Also maybe consider inserts like cushcore or hucknorris

Ben78

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 03:52:51 PM »
Yes, I'm definitely on the this is a "me problem" more than anything.

I have done several hundred km on a DT XM401 without issue, it is a 22.5 inside, "AM" rim. The rims I have managed to ruin have been on a 170mm Specialized Enduro, riding very rocky high speed downhill type tracks.

I also wonder if rim design and compliance is a factor. For example a 30mm deep rim is a lot stiffer and less likely to flex out of the way of a rock than (say) a 20mm deep rim.

zilcho

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 06:09:34 PM »
22.5 inner is far from AM by modern standards. You'll find 30mm inner trickling down to XC at this point. I agree that a deeper rim is likely to provide a stiffer and more durable profile. For what it's worth, a friend that is particularly rough on his gear swears by the Santa Cruz Reserve wheels with their lifetime warranty and just sends them in for a replacement at the first sign of an issue. Maybe worth looking into any brand with that level of support, one big upfront purchase instead of a few bargains year after year.

Icyseanfitz

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2021, 05:40:36 AM »
I've some Ican 35id wheels and they have been been bomb proof, I weigh 100kg+ so am no light weight

RobertRinAustin

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2021, 11:06:07 PM »
I bought a pair of Carbon Beam 29" 30x30 rims for my ICAN build, put them on Venfort DT copies for a total built weight of 1425g. I chose the lightweight 315g for front and AM 360g for the rear. They are cheap at $130usd each including delivery.

However in less than 100km the rear is destroyed by a rock strike. Now I get that rock strikes aren't warranty, however when it comes down to it, the seller advertises these as AM with a weight rating of 120kg for mountain bike use. I didn't even hear the rock strike and have been pretty careful on this bike to ensure my riding isn't as enthusiastic so to speak as my heavier duty enduro bike. That said, I have destroyed several aluminium rims over the last couple of years, but they are a LOT cheaper too...

I had a look at Lightbicycle, they have a great writeup on different layups and light/standard/heavy duty layup options, however their rims come out to $366 ea delivered.

Is a $366 rim less prone to destruction from rock strike than a $130 rim?

To answer your question, yes, the LB or any of the other 4 or 5 brands you see lots of good recommendations for on Chinertown would be better (I'm partial to Btlos but wouldn't hesitate to buy the others).  I'd expect higher quality and also better service.  I had a friend crack a rim in a similar situation, first week or so of riding and no mark on the rim.  After a few questions and some photos, he was sent a new rim.  No need to name the company, they've got lots of positive reviews and I wouldn't hesitate to order from them if I needed a new wheel set.

Does the rim show any strike marks?  Did you reach out to Carbon Beam? 

Ben78

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2021, 01:30:32 PM »
Does the rim show any strike marks?  Did you reach out to Carbon Beam?

It does, its obviously a rock strike. However the front rim which is a lighter build of the same rim (CarbonBeam allow you to select a build weight) has had multiple rock strikes that I have heard, and has quite a few scratches and gouges but has not had any such problems. The heavier build rear I never once heard a rock strike in the very few rides I had on it, and it has busted. I actually suspect it was a poor layup that has failed under the rock strike.

CarbonBeam said "it's obvious its a rock strike" and weren't interested.

I have a pair of DT XM421 coming, 100g heavier but at least I know they will take a beating.

SVChucko

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2021, 11:30:46 PM »
360g for an AM rim seems pretty light to me. I don't care if they're using Toray T1,000,000, as a biggish guy (approaching 100kg) and a not-so skillful rider, I would steer clear. I'm happy to get AM rims with 27mm or better internal width at under 500g, frankly. And at that I'm still a little leery.