Author Topic: Am I crazy/paranoid for wanting this helmet?  (Read 8929 times)

Sitar_Ned

Am I crazy/paranoid for wanting this helmet?
« on: April 30, 2014, 11:52:37 PM »
Okay so I feel i would most definitely be looked at funny on the trail, but I really like the new Met Parachute helmet that's coming out in 2014 sometime soon:

I've always like the idea of having some chin/teeth protection in case of a nasty spill. I really don't much care what others think on the trails.. after a close call in a motorcycle accident about a year ago, and having my extra padding save me some serious injury (was wearing mtb knee pads on my elbows under jacket) I'm a full believer in safety gear and protection.

Then again... I don't want to be sweating profusely bc of my helmet, nor do I want to feel like I'm carrying a heavy brick on my head. Met claims that the Parachute is the lightest, most ventilated full-face on the market, and it's actually supposed to be more of a cross country/trail/all mtn helmet but what they claim and wht it's really like could be two entirely different things.

Would be cool to see what you guys wear, as well?

« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 12:01:55 AM by Sitar_Ned »

brmeyer135

Re: Am I crazy/paranoid for wanting this helmet?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 05:26:30 AM »
I like the helmet also.  So, did you try it on or are those photos from somebody else?

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 06:32:25 AM »
Nope, just photos I grabbed off the web.

I know that the last iteration of the Parachute was only available in Europe and us Americans were left scouring for it on Ebay.. I think, if I remember correctly, that this one will be available here.. Just not sure exactly when.

When/if i get it, I will do a full review with detailed pics. Of course, that doesn't help us much now.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 06:49:36 AM »
I think you should wear whatever helmet you feel most comfortable with while on the trail.  You should not be pressured to wear what everyone else is wearing.  If you feel a FF helmet is what you want to wear then go for it.  A FF helmet provides more protection and for a lot of trails is a great idea.  I wear a FF helmet on my motorcycle, I should probably wear one on my MTB, but I am happy with my standard Giro helmet.

The only drawback I see is the helmet does not have that many vents, it might be really hot in the summer.

I would skip the goggles though :).
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 06:51:38 AM by Carbon_Dude »
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 07:10:45 AM »
Haha.. Yes, definitely skipping the goggles.

And my primary concern is ventilation.. I'm not willing to be miserably hot during my rides. Guess I really just need to get one on my head and try it out.

manmythlegend

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 02:42:42 PM »
Damn thats a nice helmet. Whats the price ?
If price , comfort and ventilation is good why not. Noone else is gonna pay your medical bills , and frankly full face are infinitely better looking than any other regular helmet.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 01:54:33 PM »
Yeah, I gotta agree with ya. I bought a Fox Flux and really didn't like it at all. Returned and thought about trying a Bell Super but then just decided to wait for the Met to be widely available. In the mean time I bought a cheap "Nishiki" helmet form Dick's sports for 29.99, and I actually really like the thing. A lot better than the $99 Flux. Doesn't mean the Flux isn't good.. Just din't fit my noggin. I figure I'll use this til I spring for the Met. As for price.. It's expensive.. I think around the $200 mark. Worth it to me, though.

manmythlegend

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 12:55:29 AM »
Well I'm definitely going to want to take a look at one when its released. 200 is pricey but seems like Mets previous was highly sought after.