Author Topic: DNM inverted fat bike fork — how does it compare?  (Read 4843 times)

FullCarbonAlchemist

DNM inverted fat bike fork — how does it compare?
« on: November 20, 2021, 04:47:47 AM »
I have persistent problems with my current Chinese carbon fat bike fork and its carbon plug loosening over the course of snow season due to the shearing forces of the snow pushing/twisting on the fork. So I’d like to get something with an alloy steerer….which is unusual for affordable carbon solid forks.

So I’m looking at suspension forks, and I don’t want another Bluto. Found my last one (now dead with a shattered integrated lower bushing) pretty underwhelming, particularly in the cold. Mastodon Pro EXTs are basically nonexistent AFAIK. Which brings me to the inverted option.

There’s Wren with an improved damper, cold tolerant replacement damper option, and keyed stanchions for stiffness since there’s no arch. I also happen to know Kevin Wren through social media but wouldn’t ask for a discount in these crazy times. A very similar but cheaper version of the same fork body is sold by DNM.

Anyone have experience with either the Wren or DNM versions or both? I’ve heard the DNM is halfway decent but would like more first hand experience. Can’t find many reviews online.

HDTVdevil

Re: DNM inverted fat bike fork — how does it compare?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2022, 03:37:44 AM »
Had the WREN inverted fat fork back in 2017. Was happy with it's performance.

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2022, 10:41:06 AM »
Had the WREN inverted fat fork back in 2017. Was happy with it's performance.

That’s interesting because since I made this post I’ve read a lot of descriptions of the Wren as being a wet noodle in terms of stiffness.

Now that Mastodons are readily available again I’m thinking a lot about getting one when I can, but only have a rigid fork on right now and it’s really rough on my back having the front end that low — particularly before there’s any snow on the ground. An inexpensive fat suspension fork with decent performance (at least as good as a Bluto RL in the cold, though that isn’t saying much) would certainly be worth considering now. But in terms of ones with actual reviews, the Mastodon seems to be in a league of its own.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 07:50:17 PM by FullCarbonAlchemist »

HDTVdevil

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2022, 03:37:45 AM »
I agree, Mastadon Pro is a lot better but the Wren was also noticable better than the Bluto.