Author Topic: Pulled the trigger on the Elite Wheel DRIVE wheelset  (Read 13868 times)

hazzer19

Re: Pulled the trigger on the Elite Wheel DRIVE wheelset
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2022, 07:33:02 PM »
They arrived!

The set on the box I opened came in at 1,287g

That's great!

Charltonfan1

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2022, 02:09:57 AM »
Looks good. Keen to hear how they ride

patliean1

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2022, 01:54:57 PM »
Speaking of Farsports, my Ventoux C4 EVO wheels arrived a couple of days ago. 45mm deep.

Advertised Weight: 1440g
Real World Weight: 1372g

I working on the initial video and will create a separate thread. Just wanted to chime in on the weight.

1Sigma

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2022, 05:38:52 PM »
Speaking of Farsports, my Ventoux C4 EVO wheels arrived a couple of days ago. 45mm deep.

Advertised Weight: 1440g
Real World Weight: 1372g

I working on the initial video and will create a separate thread. Just wanted to chime in on the weight.

That is an insane variance!  In your favour, but still..
Better than average - Extra Average

cramy

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2022, 10:04:45 AM »
i found a review of the wheels here, very interesting

cramy

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2022, 02:53:32 AM »
From the official facebook page

"Thanks to all the riders, we've done our first optimisation of the DRIVE wheels. The optimizations are mainly for the front hub, we have improved some details to better fit the high tension carbon spokes. 

Another good news is that spare spokes will be added to the DRIVE package from this month.

All DRIVE wheels will ship with rim tape and valves installed."

jungian

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2022, 09:49:05 AM »

All DRIVE wheels will ship with rim tape and valves installed."

Nice to see. Just ordered a pair with the black decals thanks to Sigma! 

1Sigma

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2022, 08:53:43 PM »
i found a review of the wheels here, very interesting

Everyone is putting out teaser reviews.  Waiting for an in-depth review.  I've seen them on Trace Velo's bike the last couple  videos.  I think (based on nothing) that he will be first.

Bracing for Hambini's review if he does one.  The DRIVE comes with hybrid ceramic bearings which he just hates.

Also, just for full disclosure for all the good folks here at Chinertown,  what started as a bulk purchase from Elite turned into a (fledgling) distributor relationship.
So, in respect of the integrity of this forum I'll try to remain as objective as possible,  but I clearly have a bias now.

With that in mind...I freaking love the DRIVE wheels.  Moving from old box section alloys with pitted cup/cone bearings to rhe Elite BWT was a quantum leap in performance.
Moving to the DRIVE from the BWT feels like another giant leap for me.  Wish I had the black decals though.

patliean1

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2022, 10:26:42 PM »
I would be curious to know how many components of Elite's Drive wheels are shared with Winspace.

1Sigma

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2022, 07:32:36 AM »
I would be curious to know how many components of Elite's Drive wheels are shared with Winspace.

Without doing a deep dive:
- Rims and hubs are manufactured in-house (specifically by Elite's their parent company)
- Bearings sourced from RKF (I think)
- Spokes are externally sourced. The manufacturer holds a patent for screw bushing carbon spokes (as opposed to bonded carbon spokes) <- i can see this being a commonly shared component

patliean1

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2022, 09:34:33 AM »
Lol talk about good timing...

EDIT: I'm not against Elite wheels. I'm gonna see if I can grab a pair for review LoL

« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 09:36:38 AM by patliean1 »

carbonazza

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2022, 11:25:51 AM »

EDIT: I'm not against Elite wheels. I'm gonna see if I can grab a pair for review LoL

This is guy is so bad at so many things he does in the clip, the tools he uses, that it hurts to watch.
The good thing is that only 350 people lost their time with it ;D

1Sigma

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2022, 11:27:16 AM »

Before I watch this, I am going to make a prediction that this is a first look video, and that it will end with a hook to watch the full review in x weeks time.

Also, I am foreseeing a discount code for 15%...

See you in 5...

Irideslowly

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2022, 11:28:03 AM »
Before I watch this, I am going to make a prediction that this is a first look video, and that it will end with a hook to watch the full review in x weeks time.

Also, I am foreseeing a discount code for 15%...

See you in 5...

You are correct.

1Sigma

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2022, 12:06:08 PM »
You are correct.

Ahhh Charles!  Can't say I am not a little disappointed with his first impressions.
Nothing particularly substantive in his criticisms at least - just minor irritations, which are more reflects Elites developing Customer Experience model. 

But seriously, didn't install rim tape?  Also, does the man not own a pair of cone spanners?  (Don't answer this, because it will make me feel old...)

Also, I think Elite asked him to grease the hubs specifically because he is an influencer and don't want to leave anything to chance  (although if that is the case, they should've done that before they shipped...)

We'll see what he says, but similar to my relationship with Elite, one cannot help but wonder if his objectivity is clouded by his relationship with Winspace.
Not to say the Hypers aren't good.  They do also rock
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 02:26:56 PM by 1Sigma »