Author Topic: Pulled the trigger on the Elite Wheel DRIVE wheelset  (Read 13869 times)

patliean1

Re: Pulled the trigger on the Elite Wheel DRIVE wheelset
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2022, 12:44:19 PM »
That was pretty hard to watch.

Having tried/tested several frames and wheels now, I do my best to be transparent and neutral.
That video was not the case...

Irideslowly

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2022, 12:52:19 PM »
Am i going crazy, or the video is now unlisted?

patliean1

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2022, 02:37:53 PM »
Am i going crazy, or the video is now unlisted?

Haha yup, but I still have the link though  :P

Knowing how fickle YouTuber content creators can be, he probably unlisted the video due to the comment section pushback. I mentioned Elite Wheels are now shipped with rim tape installed and he didn't seem to be super thrilled with my comment LoL

eeney

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2022, 06:08:58 PM »
I'm another one waiting for the reviews to pop up before buying.

Interestingly elite agreed to sell of wheel depths, eg. 40 front/50 rear.... Something that winspace don't offer, but I'm very keen on. If winspace did 38/50 depth packages I would have purchased some time ago.

An Elite email today told me that dark coloured decals will be available from June, and it is an option to specify silver or black hubs.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 08:17:31 PM by eeney »

Madcrazy10

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2022, 10:55:57 AM »
Thinking about ordering a set of these as well. They told me I can get it in black decals or no decals but they don’t have pictures of these options    ::)

If anyone chose this look please post here. Like to see the how they look.

1Sigma

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2022, 02:36:32 PM »
Thinking about ordering a set of these as well. They told me I can get it in black decals or no decals but they don’t have pictures of these options    ::)

If anyone chose this look please post here. Like to see the how they look.

I've got some with black decals being shipped.  I'll snap a picture when they arrive. 
Better than average - Extra Average

Irideslowly

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2022, 09:33:47 AM »
Trace velo has released his review :

1Sigma

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2022, 10:24:44 AM »
I am currently speaking with Elitewheels regarding the hub issue, as we have someone on the forum (including myself) using the 1st generation design.

This customer has reported some play.  I have not yet, but will keep an eye on it.

It appears their proposed initial solution is to replace the bearings with ones with a slightly tighter tolerance (i.e. slightly bigger)

This has raised further questions from my end, such as:
1) This doesn't correct the underlying issue (hub deformation). Does this mean after the initial stretch, that it can be considered in a "settled" position and should not deform more?
2) Presumably, the stretch will result in slightly lower drive-side spoke tension. Is the loss of tension within tolerances, or will they need to be tightened up again?
3) will tightening them up simply result in further deformation?

4) how do they know the new bearings will fit? Is the deformation across wheelsets uniform?

I am a self-taught mechanic and certainly not an engineer or metallurgist, so I only come armed with assumptions and no answers. 

Will keep everyone posted.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 11:08:18 AM by 1Sigma »

patliean1

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2022, 10:29:08 AM »
My (1st Gen) wheelset "should" arrive this afternoon. Will inspect them this weekend...

patliean1

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2022, 04:11:00 PM »
Elite Drive 45

1. Currently the 45mm depth isn't listed (yet) on Elite's website. However, if you are interested in this particular depth versus the 40 or 50, I would ask that you please reach out to member 1Sigma rather than via Elite. A few reasons why I'm requesting this, but mainly to support a fellow forum member  :D

2. Real world weight: 1288g - Build quality, performance, and customer experience aside...these about 85g lighter than FarSports Ventoux C4 (45mm depth) and about 165g lighter than Winspace's Hyper 50. The Hypers are 5mm deeper of course.

3. 21mm internal, 28mm external - I'm using a brand new set of Conti GP5000s 25c tires along with Vittoria latex innertubes. With this combo the rims are just ever so slightly wider than the tires, which aerodynamically speaking is optimal.

4. Hub/Free Hub - Yes they are similar to Winspace but not 100% identical. And they are a bit louder and more "mechanical" sounding. Whatever that means. So far no hub wobbles to report, as these are 1st gen wheels, but I only did 35mi/56km today.

5. First ride impressions - These wheels paired with my VB-177 makes the bike feel like a surgical knife. Super light, nimble, and precise. Takes my bike down to about 7.2kg without pedals or cages. Definitely a fantastic setup for crit racing on a technical circuit where you're constantly braking and accelerating. LATEX (or tubeless) is the WAY TO GO. 100%. While I'm sure there are tangible watts being saved versus butyl inner tubes, the ride quality and road dampening is absolutely night and day. I'm running around 82-85psi.

I'll report back once my review video is finished. So far nothing but high remarks from me...

Jwzard

« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2022, 01:51:51 PM »
Here they are with black decals. Emailed elitewheels and asked for pictures.

Jwzard

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2022, 01:55:52 PM »
Elite Drive 45

1. Currently the 45mm depth isn't listed (yet) on Elite's website. However, if you are interested in this particular depth versus the 40 or 50, I would ask that you please reach out to member 1Sigma rather than via Elite. A few reasons why I'm requesting this, but mainly to support a fellow forum member  :D

2. Real world weight: 1288g - Build quality, performance, and customer experience aside...these about 85g lighter than FarSports Ventoux C4 (45mm depth) and about 165g lighter than Winspace's Hyper 50. The Hypers are 5mm deeper of course.

3. 21mm internal, 28mm external - I'm using a brand new set of Conti GP5000s 25c tires along with Vittoria latex innertubes. With this combo the rims are just ever so slightly wider than the tires, which aerodynamically speaking is optimal.

4. Hub/Free Hub - Yes they are similar to Winspace but not 100% identical. And they are a bit louder and more "mechanical" sounding. Whatever that means. So far no hub wobbles to report, as these are 1st gen wheels, but I only did 35mi/56km today.

5. First ride impressions - These wheels paired with my VB-177 makes the bike feel like a surgical knife. Super light, nimble, and precise. Takes my bike down to about 7.2kg without pedals or cages. Definitely a fantastic setup for crit racing on a technical circuit where you're constantly braking and accelerating. LATEX (or tubeless) is the WAY TO GO. 100%. While I'm sure there are tangible watts being saved versus butyl inner tubes, the ride quality and road dampening is absolutely night and day. I'm running around 82-85psi.

I'll report back once my review video is finished. So far nothing but high remarks from me...

Really nice! Amazing weight, just hope they will hold up, saw trace velos video...

Jwzard

« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2022, 01:57:57 PM »
BTW, use TRACE15 for 15% discount

Madcrazy10

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2022, 12:13:36 PM »
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a 50D set of wheels.  I chose to get them with no decal which adds 12-15 days to actually make them.  I'll post a pic when I see them before they ship.

1Sigma

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2022, 08:51:13 PM »
I am currently speaking with Elitewheels regarding the hub issue, as we have someone on the forum (including myself) using the 1st generation design.

This customer has reported some play.  I have not yet, but will keep an eye on it.

It appears their proposed initial solution is to replace the bearings with ones with a slightly tighter tolerance (i.e. slightly bigger)

This has raised further questions from my end, such as:
1) This doesn't correct the underlying issue (hub deformation). Does this mean after the initial stretch, that it can be considered in a "settled" position and should not deform more?
2) Presumably, the stretch will result in slightly lower drive-side spoke tension. Is the loss of tension within tolerances, or will they need to be tightened up again?
3) will tightening them up simply result in further deformation?

4) how do they know the new bearings will fit? Is the deformation across wheelsets uniform?

I am a self-taught mechanic and certainly not an engineer or metallurgist, so I only come armed with assumptions and no answers. 

Will keep everyone posted.

So, I heard back from Elitewheels regarding the 1st gen models. Anyone reading this and thinking of buying these wheels will have the redesigned hub.

They’ve confirmed that typical strain (deformation) due to stress is between 20 to 60 microns within the first 2000km.   
After the initial strain, the stress becomes insufficient to produce further strain.  Meaning the hubs should be stable after this period.
20 to 60 microns of deformation is within the safety tolerance of the alloy (meaning well below the tensile strength). For reference, 60 microns is about the width of a human hair.
So, while being a nuisance, they assured me that the hubs are structurally sound.

The hubs are manufacture to 25.98mm, to accommodate a 26mm bearing once laced up.
After being strained, they are between 26.02 to 26.04mm. 

To rectify this, they has S&S make a run of bearings made that are 26.02mm.  Which they say removes the play in almost every case.  But even though it is only 20 microns larger, it still makes it an exotic bearing which has to be obtained from Elite.

At this point they are providing them for free. I didn’t ask if there was a cost for owners looking to replace the bearing as part of routine maintenance.

So far, I haven’t noticed the wiggle myself *knock on wood* but I know others have.
I feel comfortable riding the wheels, so I’ll keep them on. Kind of hoping the deformation will occur for me, so I can try the fix for myself.