Author Topic: Pulled the trigger on the Elite Wheel DRIVE wheelset  (Read 13872 times)

S9R

Re: Pulled the trigger on the Elite Wheel DRIVE wheelset
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2022, 06:39:53 AM »
A quick report on my experience withe the Elitewheels Drive 40D.
  • received mid of June
  • since then only around 500km
  • using them tubeless with the Vittoria Corsa Speed G2.0 TLR 25mm

In general the wheels feel great. Very responsive and stiff. I enjoy riding them. However for comparision I do not have another carbon wheel set, only my main aluminium training wheel set (which is a bit less then 300g heavier).

Now to two problems:
(1) I had quite some problems to get them working tubeless, always lost at least a bit of air. Air leaked out through the small hole on the side of the rim. Investigating further, the pre-installed rim tape did not 100% cover all of the spoke holes. Sealant was below the rim tape at some of the spoke holes and filling them. I exchanged the rim tape with 23mm wide tape, which is 1-2mm wider then the original one. Since then, no problems any more.
(2) During inspection of the rear wheel, I noticed that the ball bearings are already no longer running smoth. Affected is one or both of the bearings of the free wheel hub. Also the free wheel hub showing already some wear from the cassette, I decided to order another free wheel hub. Not quite cheap, did cost me around 80€ including shipping and customs duties. Good quality bearings would have been about 30-40€. So next time, if necessary, I will just replace the bearings...

Attached a picture of the old free hub where one can see the wear from the cassette.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 06:42:27 AM by S9R »

carbonazza

« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2022, 10:31:55 AM »
It is not uncommon to see some wear of the freehub by the cassette, nothing to worry about at the current state from the little blurry picture.

1Sigma

« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2022, 03:27:29 PM »
A quick report on my experience withe the Elitewheels Drive 40D.
  • received mid of June
  • since then only around 500km
  • using them tubeless with the Vittoria Corsa Speed G2.0 TLR 25mm

In general the wheels feel great. Very responsive and stiff. I enjoy riding them. However for comparision I do not have another carbon wheel set, only my main aluminium training wheel set (which is a bit less then 300g heavier).

Now to two problems:
(1) I had quite some problems to get them working tubeless, always lost at least a bit of air. Air leaked out through the small hole on the side of the rim. Investigating further, the pre-installed rim tape did not 100% cover all of the spoke holes. Sealant was below the rim tape at some of the spoke holes and filling them. I exchanged the rim tape with 23mm wide tape, which is 1-2mm wider then the original one. Since then, no problems any more.
(2) During inspection of the rear wheel, I noticed that the ball bearings are already no longer running smoth. Affected is one or both of the bearings of the free wheel hub. Also the free wheel hub showing already some wear from the cassette, I decided to order another free wheel hub. Not quite cheap, did cost me around 80€ including shipping and customs duties. Good quality bearings would have been about 30-40€. So next time, if necessary, I will just replace the bearings...

Attached a picture of the old free hub where one can see the wear from the cassette.

1) that’s a shame. Air shouldn’t escape from factory-installed tape.  Sorry to hear that that happened to you.
2) have you contacted Elite about the bearings? Under no circumstances should there be problems with the bearings after only 500km.  If you have a bum bearing for some reason, it should be covered under warranty. 
3)yea, those bite marks are perfectly normal for an alloy freehub without a bite guard
Better than average - Extra Average

Geko

« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2022, 09:04:51 AM »
I have a bike running 28s on 45D, 21mm internal and another running 28s on the 50V (19mm internal)
In both cases, inflated to about 70-75 psi, the tire width is pretty much in line with the rim width.

I’ll see if I can send you some pics

Hi,
Did you find or make some pics for me?  8)

S9R

« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2022, 10:39:28 AM »
1) that’s a shame. Air shouldn’t escape from factory-installed tape.  Sorry to hear that that happened to you.
2) have you contacted Elite about the bearings? Under no circumstances should there be problems with the bearings after only 500km.  If you have a bum bearing for some reason, it should be covered under warranty. 
3)yea, those bite marks are perfectly normal for an alloy freehub without a bite guard

ad 1) I think the pre-installed tape is just too narrow. Also with 23mm one has to be careful to center the rim tape in order to have a good overlap of the asymetric spoke holes.
ad 2) Contacted yes and also explained what happened. But I did not insist on some kind of warranty.
ad 3) True - never before removed a cassette after less than 500km and therefore was somehow surprised that it already looks most of my other free hubs...

1Sigma

« Reply #95 on: September 21, 2022, 01:40:49 PM »
Hi,
Did you find or make some pics for me?  8)

Sorry! Totally forgot!
One set of photos is the Drive 45mm disc (not the gravel version) with 28mm Schwalbe Pro One TLE (tubeless) @ 70PSI. Please excuse my janky calipers.
Tire width = 29.5mm
Rim width = 28.5mm

The other is the Drive 50mm rim.  Tire is 28mm Michelin Power Road Tubeless @ 70PSI
The rim version of the wheels is slightly wider on account of the brake track
Tire width = just shy of 30mm
Rim width = Just shy of 30mm

Geko

« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2022, 04:00:07 PM »
Sorry! Totally forgot!

Thank you very much!!!

What caliper and disc rotor do you have.
I am looking for an alternative for my 105 caliper  and old type xtr rotor.

Crash217

« Reply #97 on: September 22, 2022, 06:41:05 PM »
On the Elite wheels,  is there a steel free gun body available?

1Sigma

« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2022, 01:02:09 PM »
Thank you very much!!!

What caliper and disc rotor do you have.
I am looking for an alternative for my 105 caliper  and old type xtr rotor.

I am using the JuinTech GT.  It’s cable actuated hydraulic.
The rotors are just IIIPRO.  They sell a number of designs, 6 bolt and center lock.  Floating, finned, and Ultralight.  Nothing too fancy, but I’ve found them inexpensive and reliable

1Sigma

« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2022, 01:24:37 PM »
On the Elite wheels,  is there a steel free gun body available?

I do not believe so.
I will ask them about whether they are thinking about adding a biteguard.
Doesn’t really add weight, and just one of those finishing touches that makes existence on this earth a little more pleasant

diefobo

« Reply #100 on: December 11, 2022, 11:26:20 AM »
Sorry! Totally forgot!
One set of photos is the Drive 45mm disc (not the gravel version) with 28mm Schwalbe Pro One TLE (tubeless) @ 70PSI. Please excuse my janky calipers.
Tire width = 29.5mm
Rim width = 28.5mm

The other is the Drive 50mm rim.  Tire is 28mm Michelin Power Road Tubeless @ 70PSI
The rim version of the wheels is slightly wider on account of the brake track
Tire width = just shy of 30mm
Rim width = Just shy of 30mm

What about braking performance of 50V? Have you ever tested Fulcrum/Campagnolo AC3 brake track to have a comparison?

1Sigma

« Reply #101 on: December 12, 2022, 10:19:34 AM »
What about braking performance of 50V? Have you ever tested Fulcrum/Campagnolo AC3 brake track to have a comparison?

Hi there,
I personally haven't tried it, as I ride disc but customer feedback has been positive.

The rim version of the wheelset is a bit heavier than rhe disc version, as it it built-up more to accommodate a robust brake track. 
It has a siped surface, which is designed to improve braking in wet conditions.
Hambini has also commented on its effectiveness. Stating:
"The rims feature a grooved brake track. This has a dramatic effect on braking efficiency and it is very noticeable, especially in the wet. The initial bite with the Elite wheels is extremely good. The system is similar to the brake track found on the Farsports wheels."

I hope this helps

radfactor

« Reply #102 on: December 29, 2022, 08:14:27 PM »
To be honest, this is the most cheesy and biased (against Elitewheels) review. Then unlisted it lol.

Lol talk about good timing...

EDIT: I'm not against Elite wheels. I'm gonna see if I can grab a pair for review LoL