Author Topic: SUNRIMOON Helmets  (Read 4517 times)

1Sigma

SUNRIMOON Helmets
« on: March 09, 2022, 07:14:55 AM »
So, I think I'll try a Chinese brand helmet.
Looking at the SUNRIMOON helmets.

Looking for opinions.

Trying to choose between their
TS-98 Model - lightweight, more ventilation
https://www.sunrimoonhelmet.com/collections/adult-bike-helmets/products/sunrimoon-adult-bicycle-helmet-road-bike-helmet-for-man-and-woman-cycling-helmets-helmet-for-adult-ts-98-angel-isaac-2021new

TS-42 Model - more aerodynamic, less ventilation but looks better IMO
https://www.sunrimoonhelmet.com/collections/adult-bike-helmets/products/sunrimoon-adult-bicycle-helmet-road-bike-helmet-for-man-and-woman-cycling-helmets-helmet-for-adult-ts-42-saint-michael2021new

Some context: my current helmet is a CCM-branded helmet.  This is akin to something from Walmart, and probably lower quality than something from Decathlon.  I already assume it is a low-quality Chinese helmet. Pretty much anything would be an upgrade for me.

Not concerned about safety.  I know some folks get pretty protective about helmet choices (see what I did there...), but it is basically just a piece of injection molded foam shrink wrapped in a thin shell of plastic.  Sunrimoon/Cigna's core business are helmets, so I assume they'll pass muster.

I'd be forgoing MIPS and premium retention systems provided by top-shelf helmets, but as I said - anything is an upgrade for me. 

Better than average - Extra Average

hazzer19

Re: SUNRIMOON Helmets
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2022, 01:06:31 PM »
"HEART TO THE SUN, DREAM FORWARD" haha gold!

Don't know anything about these guys but agree that the second option looks better.

1Sigma

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2022, 01:29:55 PM »
"HEART TO THE SUN, DREAM FORWARD" haha gold!

Don't know anything about these guys but agree that the second option looks better.

Gotta love them Chinglish slogans.  I sometimes think it's be better if they just let it in Chinese.

00Garza

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2022, 02:03:33 PM »
Comfort is also a significant factor when it comes to helmets. The fancy retention systems help those with oddly shaped or small noggins. At that price-point there are a ton of better options online Nashbar, performance bicycle, etc.

But if you're buying just out of curiosity to see whats available from China, I'd be interested to see your review.  8)

1Sigma

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2022, 02:11:29 PM »
Comfort is also a significant factor when it comes to helmets. The fancy retention systems help those with oddly shaped or small noggins. At that price-point there are a ton of better options online Nashbar, performance bicycle, etc.

But if you're buying just out of curiosity to see whats available from China, I'd be interested to see your review.  8)

For sure the latter!  I am curious how well it will stack up (and report back here)
Also for sure the better retention systems will be more comfortable.  I can’t imagine a helmet being more uncomfortable than my current one though

Of the two helmets I singled out, which one would you pick?

00Garza

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2022, 03:04:42 PM »
I think they both look terrible, so I'd go with whichever provides more ventilation.

1Sigma

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2022, 04:42:11 PM »
I think they both look terrible, so I'd go with whichever provides more ventilation.

Lol. Fair enough. I’m not sure what an attractive helmet looks like anyways.

Maybe something in a more conventional road design?
https://www.sunrimoonhelmet.com/products/sunrimoon-ts-99-helmet
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 04:47:57 PM by 1Sigma »

hazzer19

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2022, 10:38:14 AM »
Any ideas on weights for these models? couldn't find anything on their site or social

1Sigma

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2022, 12:20:03 PM »
Any ideas on weights for these models? couldn't find anything on their site or social

Looks like the specs are located under the colour selection.
Its in Chinese.  Looks like thr TS-42 is 238g for medium, 248g for large.  The other one is a bit lighter i think

00Garza

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2022, 01:37:23 PM »
Lol. Fair enough. I’m not sure what an attractive helmet looks like anyways.

Maybe something in a more conventional road design?
https://www.sunrimoonhelmet.com/products/sunrimoon-ts-99-helmet

Yeah I'd probably go with that. I'm not racing so aero doesn't matter much to me. I like a helmet to be so comfortable that I forget I'm wearing it. Weight, size, and retention systems are my priorities.

hazzer19

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2022, 02:21:32 PM »
Looks like the specs are located under the colour selection.
Its in Chinese.  Looks like thr TS-42 is 238g for medium, 248g for large.  The other one is a bit lighter i think

That's pretty good! Puts it in the same range of more expensive helmets

bamboo_mountain

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2022, 04:27:51 PM »
So I guess if you suddenly stop posting on here we will know if your helmet experiment has failed  :P

1Sigma

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2022, 08:06:17 PM »
So I guess if you suddenly stop posting on here we will know if your helmet experiment has failed  :P

That's dark.  Funny,  but dark

SVChucko

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2022, 02:15:13 PM »
Frankly I'm skeptical. But I'm also willing to be persuaded that they're truly equivalent to the name-brand helmets sold in the US and elsewhere.

I wonder if some of us could buy Chinese bike helmets and have them tested at the Virginia Tech lab: https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle-helmet-ratings.html

As you can see from the ratings there, the correlation between price and protection is weak at best.

1Sigma

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2022, 04:10:34 PM »
Frankly I'm skeptical. But I'm also willing to be persuaded that they're truly equivalent to the name-brand helmets sold in the US and elsewhere.

I wonder if some of us could buy Chinese bike helmets and have them tested at the Virginia Tech lab: https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle-helmet-ratings.html

As you can see from the ratings there, the correlation between price and protection is weak at best.

Cool link! Although, there is definitely a positive correlation between MIPS and a better score.

For me, employing the happiness = expectations - reality, I’d say I’m not too skeptical.
Here are my expectations:
1) meets at least minimum CE safety standards
2) has conventional fasteners and retention system. Up close pics look like a generic retention system)
3) not, not aero. Probably no worse than generic helmets. Possible aero advantage? Probably not as good as a Specialized Evade II (which funnily had a pretty terrible safety score)

So long as reality meets or exceeds the above, I’ll be happy.

I’m looking to get a sample price from SUNRIMOON, as I wouldn’t buy this at retail. Lol
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 04:32:49 PM by 1Sigma »