Author Topic: SUNRIMOON Helmets  (Read 4516 times)

00Garza

Re: SUNRIMOON Helmets
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2022, 02:03:37 PM »
Any update on this?

hazzer19

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2022, 03:42:25 PM »
Cool link! Although, there is definitely a positive correlation between MIPS and a better score.

For me, employing the happiness = expectations - reality, I’d say I’m not too skeptical.
Here are my expectations:
1) meets at least minimum CE safety standards
2) has conventional fasteners and retention system. Up close pics look like a generic retention system)
3) not, not aero. Probably no worse than generic helmets. Possible aero advantage? Probably not as good as a Specialized Evade II (which funnily had a pretty terrible safety score)

So long as reality meets or exceeds the above, I’ll be happy.

I’m looking to get a sample price from SUNRIMOON, as I wouldn’t buy this at retail. Lol

Are you planning on getting a sample price based on potentially placing a larger size order?

1Sigma

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2022, 05:05:39 PM »
Are you planning on getting a sample price based on potentially placing a larger size order?

I just said “F*** it” and put in a quote for 20. Mixed colours and sizes.
I am confident enough that they are an OEM manufacturer looking to create their own brand.
They admitted as such, and the helmet looks suspiciously similar to the HJC Furion 2.0.
Of course, most of these factories are an OEM for someone, so that’s no surprise.

No concerns on them meeting safety thresholds. Although, with 20 I may consider sending in one for independent testing. I’ll have to weigh the costs. 

Worse comes to worse, I sell them at cost. 
Better than average - Extra Average

avocadobike

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2022, 06:30:33 PM »
i purchased some of these helmets a while back, still going strong and no issues with them.

jonathanf2

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2022, 09:37:39 AM »
I bought some AliEx helmets awhile back and they work fine. The problem I had with legit brand helmets was sizing. I bought several name brand/expensive helmets and returned them all. My head is between a medium and large, forcing me to go large most the time and all the helmets looked like mushrooms on my head. Some of the AliEx helmets come spec'ed between M/L and visually didn't look big on my head so I bought two helmets online that look great. The injected foam looks solid and my theory is that I only need the helmet to work once! Plus Costco (big US membership store) sells cheap $25 USD MIPs helmets, so it makes me wonder how much of a premium the name brands are charging?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 10:24:31 AM by jonathanf2 »

s3si1u

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2022, 12:26:28 PM »
I bought some AliEx helmets awhile back and they work fine. The problem I had with legit brand helmets was sizing. I bought several name brand/expensive helmets and returned them all. My head is between a medium and large, forcing me to go large most the time and all the helmets looked like mushrooms on my head. Some of the AliEx helmets come spec'ed between M/L and visually didn't look big on my head so I bought a two online that look great. The injected foam looks solid and my theory is that I only need the helmet to work once! Plus Costco sells cheap $25 USD MIPs helmets, so it makes me wonder how much of a premium the name brands are charging?

I'm the same way. My big ass head is surprisingly just a bit too small for my POC helmet. The helmet feels good on my head, but I wouldn't look so much like a dork if the size L helmets were just a bit smaller. Also the damn POC straps are just never long enough and almost too short for my ears when fully extended.
I bought an AliX Abus copy which fit well, admittedly a bit better than the POC but obviously not as high quality and a bit less comfortable. My gf needed a helmet so I gave it to her. It's certainly worth the $25 or so it cost.
Thanks for the Costco tip. I'll definitely look those up.
Instagram: @aerosloth

1Sigma

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2022, 12:49:03 PM »
For my store, the helmets are a bit of a bust.  Outside of those who regularly shop on AliX, such as us here, not much interest in helmets from China (which should have come as no surprise) 

As for SUNRIMOON itself, the interactions could have been better.  I feel like a combination of them still figuring stuff out, and them offloading on to me - packaging came in different iterations from different generations.  The helmets themselves had different iterations for the same model.  For instance their TS-42 helmets arrived with different pads, retention, and fastening buckle depending based on updates they made to the helmet.
They also sent a handful of incorrect helmets, but did throw in a kids helmet for free for my daughter.

And for a small guy like me, ease of working with a supplier is just as important as the product itself.

The helmets themselves are fine.  I really like the current iteration of the TS-42, with anti-microbial pads, fidlock magnetic buckle, and greater retention system adjustability.

So, I'll be keeping some for personal use, and offloading the rest at cost to recoup some capital and deploying elsewhere.
Better than average - Extra Average

jonathanf2

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2022, 10:46:09 AM »
I'm the same way. My big ass head is surprisingly just a bit too small for my POC helmet. The helmet feels good on my head, but I wouldn't look so much like a dork if the size L helmets were just a bit smaller. Also the damn POC straps are just never long enough and almost too short for my ears when fully extended.
I bought an AliX Abus copy which fit well, admittedly a bit better than the POC but obviously not as high quality and a bit less comfortable. My gf needed a helmet so I gave it to her. It's certainly worth the $25 or so it cost.
Thanks for the Costco tip. I'll definitely look those up.

Actually I think they were priced higher now that I looked up the Costco helmet, but still well-priced. I did try one in-store and it fit well...though not great looking:
https://www.costco.com/freetown-gear-%2526-gravel-lumiere-adult-bike-helmet-with-mips.product.100856858.html

Also I bought two knock-off helmets, a Trek Bontrager and a POC. I ended up just taking off the stickers on the Trek helmet since they were heat applied to the surface. The knock-off POC helmet I left as-is because the graphics were under the clear coat. Though I bought a gold color that isn't in the POC line-up. I compared it to my buddy's official POC helmet and you can barely tell the difference beside the internal padding. Also every helmet video I've seen comparing these knockoffs have been done by the bike companies themselves. If the bike industry had their way as well, they'd probably make videos saying how Chinese carbon is also unsafe! Lol