Author Topic: 2022 - Rotor recommendations?  (Read 7139 times)

hazzer19

Re: 2022 - Rotor recommendations?
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2022, 12:37:40 AM »
What sort of riding are you doing with them?
Road. Good mix of mountains and flats.

StiffWeenies

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2022, 12:22:22 PM »
looks like the onirii cd-01 and cd-02 were discontinued because they had some problems

Good catch!

by the way, 'climbing' actually refers to 攀爬 (Trial)

I still wouldn't trust these rotors for road descending now that I know they can fail like this though...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 12:25:47 PM by StiffWeenies »

hazzer19

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2022, 04:33:24 PM »
Picked these up instead, should have them next week. Reviews are good though i haven't seen anything specific to the harder side of mtb. They've got a more standard design and more material in the rotor with less cut out. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004323711635.html?gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt

How did these work out for you?

Any new recommendations from anyone for center lock or 6 bolts rotors? Looking to get some for a new wheelset and replace the Deckas I have on there now

Fat Larry

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2022, 09:09:59 PM »

How did these work out for you?

Any new recommendations from anyone for center lock or 6 bolts rotors? Looking to get some for a new wheelset and replace the Deckas I have on there now

I didn't end up using them as i decided i wanted thicker rotors. They did make a good impression, looked to be well made and i'd buy them again. Measured as described at around 1.9mm thick.  If i was to order standard thickness rotors again they'd be my first choice at the moment. 

I installed these instead https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004913085313.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.15.136018027PawHV

Have had one short ride and i don't think they're bedded in yet. They're absolute chonkers. Quite heavy. Measured with two callipers at around 2.17-2.2 which i was slightly annoyed by so i found another set and they measured at 2.3....

coffeebreak

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2023, 11:04:29 AM »
Not very happy with these: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804147936070.html

During 11/11 sale I bought 3 pairs that got delivered last week of November and one pair immediately went on my new build. About 300~ miles later I still did not have the "bite". Replaced them with my trusty old, used Shimano rotors and braking power is much better. Not sure if it is the problem with brake pads? I am using default pads that came with Onirii BR005. I did order semi-metallic pads later but yet to put them on since the performance with default pads + Shimano rotors is good enough for me. Anyone else with these rotors?

ChrisB

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2023, 11:09:16 AM »
Not very happy with these: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804147936070.html

During 11/11 sale I bought 3 pairs that got delivered last week of November and one pair immediately went on my new build. About 300~ miles later I still did not have the "bite". Replaced them with my trusty old, used Shimano rotors and braking power is much better. Not sure if it is the problem with brake pads? I am using default pads that came with Onirii BR005. I did order semi-metallic pads later but yet to put them on since the performance with default pads + Shimano rotors is good enough for me. Anyone else with these rotors?

I also ordered these disc rotors but did not install them yet, they will be used for an older city bike...
If you use the original BR005 break pads, I would strongly recommend swapping them for alternatives, made a big difference on my bike using original Shimano disc rotors.

BR Chris

coffeebreak

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2023, 01:05:33 PM »
I also ordered these disc rotors but did not install them yet, they will be used for an older city bike...
If you use the original BR005 break pads, I would strongly recommend swapping them for alternatives, made a big difference on my bike using original Shimano disc rotors.

BR Chris

Semi metallic type or ceramic? I am not sure which ones come in the BR005 box.

StiffWeenies

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2023, 03:48:20 AM »
Very nice... hope they're thicker than the 1.6mm claimed width of the previous design

They should be on the market soon as the 2nd generation CD-02 (CL, 103g) & CD-03 (6-bolt, 94g). 1.8mm thick and a stronger spider so hopefully they'll be more durable than the 1st gen.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 06:13:42 AM by StiffWeenies »

ChrisB

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2023, 01:26:00 PM »
Semi metallic type or ceramic? I am not sure which ones come in the BR005 box.

My original BR005 pads were metall. Golden copper color…
Never produced good breaking power. Exhanged wirth Cooma Ex / Resin Pads and they work really well.

BR Chris

frnchy

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2023, 01:44:50 AM »
ZRACE have a new rotor that copies SRAM centerline XR:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKUHwhY

Fat Larry

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2023, 09:02:33 AM »
Update on those ztto chonkers. They're working well (ok bar some noise issues with the rear but it's not the rotors fault i don't think). The front feels like it'll happily throw me over the bars in any situation if i want it to.

Only complaint is perhaps they don't need to have such a wide brake track and could save some weight here as you can see from the wear there's about 4mm that isn't used. But then again i'm not using them with the brakes they're intended for.

https://ibb.co/3z0k0fn

https://ibb.co/PcQ5BVn

Anyone have suggestions for any other 2mm or more six bolt rotors? May have to replace the rear and wouldn't mind finding something lighter as these are 255g each.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 08:12:48 PM by Fat Larry »

amphibulus

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2023, 09:33:58 PM »
Interesting about the Zrace. Anyone have tried the rotor from that brand? They are new so there is no review yet.

dsveddy

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2023, 10:36:10 AM »
Just ordered a pair of the new centerlock ONIRII rotors: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804989446940.html

I imagine these are the replacement design that was released after the fiasco with the previous version (now sold by KACTUS and ROCKBROS) breaking apart under high load/heat. They seem to have more conventional and stronger 6-pin floating rotor design like SRAM and Shimano do. A bit thicker than the previous version too at 1.8mm.

I did have a little snag with ordering the correct version, they were listed as "centerlock" but the photo featured the 6-bolt design. I went ahead and ordered the centerlock option anyways. A couple weeks later I notice I had an unread message from the ONIRII store, they had messaged a photo of my order with the receipt...and in it was a pair of 6-bolt rotors instead of the centerlocks that I had ordered. I messaged them back and let them know that those were not the centerlocks I ordered. They replied right away with a link to a product page for a $1 shipping change, which I obliged to. Seems I will get to keep the 6-bolt set as far a I can tell for the moment.

avocadobike

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2023, 03:02:30 PM »
The BR-05 callipers in the second picture are hydromechanical, I can't comment on performance because I've never tried them before but they seem to be the best hydromechanical option after the Juins which are 2-3x the price depending on model. The M4 and M2 appear to be proper mineral oil hydraulic and the M4 lever/calliper design itself looks to be very Trickstuff/Hope RX4+ PM inspired, but I'm not too knowledgeable on MTB brakes and could be totally off here.

These look exactly the same as the Kactus rotors, I purchased one to try on my Ti bike, not amazing but it’s not too bad either.

StiffWeenies

« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2023, 03:19:24 AM »
These look exactly the same as the Kactus rotors, I purchased one to try on my Ti bike, not amazing but it’s not too bad either.

Any chance you can cancel the order? Not sure why Kactus are still selling it but Onirii already recalled that model for spider failures and uneven pad wear.