Author Topic: 2022 - Rotor recommendations?  (Read 7135 times)

dsveddy

Re: 2022 - Rotor recommendations?
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2023, 12:43:27 PM »
Update on the new-design ONIRII 6-rivet floating rotors, which I ordered in 160mm & centerlock:

Last time I posted here I mentioned that when ONIRII sent me a message with a photo of my order, I spotted they had sent 6-screw rotors instead of centerlocks. I had messaged them back and they apologized for the mistake and directed me to purchase a 1-cent "shipping change" through them, which I went ahead and purchased.

A few days after ONIRII sent me a photo of my centerlock rotor shipment, and I've been waiting on those. From the photo, it looks like these are a bona-fide centerlock design and not a 6-bolt rotor with an adapter. They also demanded that I give them a good review for the good service, which I suppose I will give considering that their response to this mistake has been solid and it seems I am keeping the 6-screw rotors for free.

In general I quite like that ONIRII sends photos of the shipment and the shipment receipt (with your name and address on the receipt), which is helpful for ensuring that A) you are receiving the correct product and B) it's shipping to the correct address. It's a nice CS touch that I haven't seen from other vendors.

In the meantime, my notes on the 6-screw rotors, which I received last week:

The good:
-weight: 94g, basically on the money for quoted weight
-thickness is indeed just shy of 2mm. Can't get an exact measurement bc the battery on my caliper died, but I can see it's definitely thicker than 1.5mm.
-Nice clean machining and anodization on the spider. area of the 6-bolt interface is machined down to match the thickness of the rotor so the rotor aligns on the mounts correctly.

The bad:
-Rotor has a couple of burrs left over from cutting (laser cutting?)
-plenty of sharp edges. You probably want to file/grind the outer edge down for peloton use.
-and the big kicker...ONE OF THE ROTORS IS MISSING A RIVET. Huge mistake from them. Basically sent me a useless rotor. The fault was visible in the photo they sent me earlier, which is good. Thankfully the replacement rotors they are sending have all the rivets. Anyways given how they've served me as a customer, I have no doubt they'd make it right if you were sent a rotor with a missing rivet, and you'd have the opportunity to catch it before they even ship. But it's something to keep in mind if you're ordering floating rotors from any of these AE vendors.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 12:45:28 PM by dsveddy »

federic000

« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2023, 01:53:38 PM »
Is this the new onirii rotor?

€ 30,30  30%OFF | ONIRII Bike Rotor160mm Centerlock 6 Bolt Disc Brake Rotor Heat Dissipation for Road , MTB XC / Folding / Touring Bicycle NEW
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EGAtVOv

dsveddy

« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2023, 05:05:09 PM »

€ 30,30  30%OFF | ONIRII Bike Rotor160mm Centerlock 6 Bolt Disc Brake Rotor Heat Dissipation for Road , MTB XC / Folding / Touring Bicycle NEW

Yes that is the one I ordered!

00Garza

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2023, 12:08:36 PM »

I guess I'm primarily a bargain hunter, so at that pricepoint why not just get shimano or sram rotors? Are these ultra weightweenie rotors?

dsveddy

« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2023, 01:00:17 PM »
I guess I'm primarily a bargain hunter, so at that pricepoint why not just get shimano or sram rotors? Are these ultra weightweenie rotors?

In terms of weight, they are pretty much the same as MT800 coming in at 101g w/o lockring, 112 with lockring.

I'm not sure what the price difference is for you--I know Europe gets lower prices on Shimano parts and higher VAT on Chinese imports compared to the US. I paid $55USD total for the ONIRII rotor pair, while the cheapest 160mm high-end Shimano rotors (like MT800 or CL800) that I can find are at least $50USD each. So for me it comes out to around half the price.

I saw that you might be paying something like 33 euro each, and there are MT800/CL800 rotors available in europe for around 40 euro or less, is that correct? If that's the case, then of course the ONIRII rotors make no sense.

coffeebreak

« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2023, 01:48:59 PM »
This is true. Shimano stuff is comparatively expensive here. I frequently check Merlin Cycles even though I am in the US and they certainly have better prices on Shimano stuff but shipping across the pond kills any savings unless you order upwards of $500? I could never figure out how their shipping costs work. Right now they have great price on Ultegra R8000 full group and when added to cart shows free shipping to USA + no tax.

Wiggle has quite reasonable shipping to USA but they don't have much of the stuff. Either that or their low prices are applicable only to a particular slow selling variant of a product.

federic000

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2023, 08:46:21 AM »

Definitely too expensive, at the price lever of those we can get ashima's or galfer's , as well as Shimano even if not so light but hey it's a Shimano

coffeebreak

« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2023, 09:37:05 PM »
An update on ZRACE rotors that they were blowing off at $5 a pop during last 11/11. As of yesterday they are on 3rd bike and 4th set of pads but no dice. Here are the pads that I tried - OG Onirii, Cooma/Delt, TRP, Tektro. Currently they are on my Salsa with Tektro pads and same poor performance continues that started with my VB GF002 months ago. I almost gave up on Onirii BR005s thinking the calipers were shite but no! The rotors are shite.

I honestly didn't think the rotors were culprit and blamed it on pads and calipers. Just going to stick to Shimano (even used ones on Craigslist feel better) or if someone has better options on the cheap let me know!

Fat Larry

« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2023, 11:41:44 PM »
Which ones and whats wrong?

coffeebreak

« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2023, 12:04:16 AM »
These: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804147936070.html

Just no strong "bite" even when dry. Brand new but give a feel like they need to be replaced.