Author Topic: 1.5” headsets?  (Read 680 times)

FullCarbonAlchemist

1.5” headsets?
« on: April 14, 2022, 02:56:55 PM »
A number of unbranded frames, notably from Flybike/Carbonda, come with relatively unusual headsets that are 1.5” on both the upper and lower bearings, and often have spacers in the upper bearing that create room for internal cable routing through the headset (even if you don’t get the optional cap with an opening for cables).

I own a Carbonda FM1002 and worry that aggressive enduro style riding/jumps will eventually bend or break that upper spacer. It would also be nice to have high quality bearings from a trusted brand and a lighter cap, as the Carbonda supplied headset cap looks like it was made from pig iron.

Can anyone suggest big brand and “China” brand options for replacements? I can’t seem to find much with a casual web search, partly because “1.5 inch headset” seems to be too generic a term and many tapered headsets come up. My preference would be for headsets that have a stronger/thicker upper bearing spacer than the Carbonda OEM, or fill the entire upper race with a larger bearing that needs no spacer.

Here’s one of the only examples I’ve found and I’m not 100% sure it’s compatible with the FM1001/1002 head tube….

https://us.ritcheylogic.com/us_en/bike/headsets/comp-cartridge-integrated-is-1.5-upper-headset

Neb

StiffWeenies

Re: 1.5” headsets?
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2022, 04:01:13 PM »
I like the headsets from Token and First Components

Aesch

Re: 1.5” headsets?
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2022, 01:09:44 PM »
I use ritchey wcs on my 1056 and 696 from Carbonda.