Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-218  (Read 74462 times)

hazzer19

Re: Velobuild VB-R-218
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2022, 10:35:38 AM »
mine is sliding as well

Strange, I've never had any issues with my 168 seat post slipping and I'm a heavier rider at 90 Kg +

St0mpB0x

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2022, 04:46:40 PM »
You’re maybe right ;)

I will order the frame this week. But I don’t know which size. I’m 173cm and 80 inseam. What size do you suggest? (515 or 530)

Whats your current bike and size? Do you like the position or do you want to change something?

LaurinF

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2022, 03:01:59 AM »
Whats your current bike and size? Do you like the position or do you want to change something?

Right now I have a BMC Racemachine 2011 in 53. it feels like it’s a bit to big, but not much. So 515 and 530 should both fit..

1Sigma

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2022, 06:23:52 PM »
Strange, I've never had any issues with my 168 seat post slipping and I'm a heavier rider at 90 Kg +

Seems like luck of the draw.
When I built the bike, I marked my post with crayon just to track any slippage.
I torqued to spec, and it hasn’t slipped since day 1.

I’m not the heaviest nor lightest (88kg last season, currently 77kg)

Better than average - Extra Average

patliean1

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2022, 08:51:48 AM »
Is something wrong with me? After watching this Dogma F12 build video...I almost wanna build a 218 myself  :D

YouTube Title: Dream Build Bike Pinarello F12 Shimano Duraace Miche Wheelset made in İtaly

Irideslowly

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2022, 09:44:18 AM »
Is something wrong with me? After watching this Dogma F12 build video...I almost wanna build a 218 myself  :D

YouTube Title: Dream Build Bike Pinarello F12 Shimano Duraace Miche Wheelset made in İtaly

Do it!

crispee

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2022, 06:53:19 PM »

What stopping you ?

DO IT for all of us here

Kirkspants

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2022, 09:53:02 PM »
FWIW Chris told me the mold was not from the Taiwanese copiers and that the BB is BSA because many customers had asked for it. 

Not sure what to think.  It seems very odd to me, given that virtually the only other carbon bikes produced these days with BSA are clones - because they haven't updated their tooling.   And I never see anyone asking for it except steel traditionalists on round tubed bikes.   BSA-68 is a completely deprecated standard for carbon road frames, and for good reason.  Shell width is very narrow, bore diameter is small, and there's the danger of galvanic corrosion and debonding re: the carbon / alu interface.  It's basically the worst of all worlds.

I see people asking for BB386 and T47 ... but BSA-68 on a carbon road frame? Wat.

Ex SBI dealer employee/mechanic/slave here chiming in:

Caveat: I am still a bike mechanic in spirit but now I do non-bike things. Last time I was in a Specialized shop was 2020-21.

BSA is not dead. SBI has done with BSA what Trek did with T47. They implemented traditional BSA bottom brackets for a host of products one year that honestly surprised us. But! We welcomed it. Even if it means using tiny tiny little bottom bracket bearings to run 30 mm spindles. They went back to BSA and even sold it a little as a “let’s go back to what works” upgrade.

Kirkspants

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2022, 09:56:36 PM »
For me it kind of defeat the purpose of not wanting to own a copied branded frame. Gonna keep explaining on group rides that it's a VB frame and not an OEM dogma copy, but ya, who cares right!
VB is going to sell a lot of these just like the 168 is a big hit for VB.

I’m toying with getting a VB 168. SBI font seems to be Serpentine Medium Oblique; I want to get frame decals for the down tube in giant letters that say “Yarghmac”.

I say have fun with it! :-)

carbonazza

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2022, 03:22:08 AM »

Thanks for sharing this nice video.
Mounting the handlebar reversed first is a great idea !

StiffWeenies

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2022, 05:08:00 AM »
For me it kind of defeat the purpose of not wanting to own a copied branded frame. Gonna keep explaining on group rides that it's a VB frame and not an OEM dogma copy, but ya, who cares right!
VB is going to sell a lot of these just like the 168 is a big hit for VB.

Check out the latest Colnago V4Rs spyshots and tell me it doesn’t look like a SL7 inspired open mould frame

And I don’t see anything wrong with buying an open mould frame as long as one doesn’t slap the logo of the real thing along the downtube. In the watch world they call timepieces inspired by famous models ‘Microbrand homages’ and there’s no reason why we can’t extend the same euphemism to bikes.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 07:03:33 AM by StiffWeenies »

patliean1

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2022, 08:31:08 AM »
Check out the latest Colnago V4Rs spyshots and tell me it doesn’t look like a SL7 inspired open mould frame

And I don’t see anything wrong with buying an open mould frame as long as one doesn’t slap the logo of the real thing along the downtube. In the watch world they call timepieces inspired by famous models ‘Microbrand homages’ and there’s no reason why we can’t extend the same euphemism to bikes.

As the owner of a few Rolex Submariner homages...I agree with this assessment haha.

Sebastian

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2022, 04:01:32 AM »
Hi everyone!

New to the forum and this is my first post.
I just wanted to report that I have a V BR 218 in the rim brake version on its way to me.
I’ll send some pics and keep you updated on the build process.

I too would have preferred a non counterfeit design. But I wanted a direct mount rim brake frame with internal cable routing that I liked the look of and that does not look like a Tarmac or Venge. That narrowed it down to this one.

The plan is to transfer my existing parts and wheels over to this frame.
I currently got a Ridley Helium in its low spec T700/T800 version from 2016. Frame weight is just below 1000g. This frame in XXL should be between 1200 and 1300g. I’m fine with that since it’s pan flat where I live.

The Helium in its current build is 7.1 kg ready to go with pedals and Garmin mount. So this one should ideally still be in the 7.5kg range.

Let’s see if I’m right.

Cheers

patliean1

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2022, 05:21:37 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CfADOqCO6Q6/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Someone finally built a 218...

EDIT: oh, he already posted it in the 177 vs 218 thread haha my bad

jth15656

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2022, 08:10:41 PM »
Yep. That's mine.

First off thanks to all the regular posters on this forum for all the knowledge they share!

I was considering a 177 back in April, but when they introduced the 218, I decided to give that a shot instead.

I ordered the XL frame on 4-18-22, they shipped on 5/6 and I got the frame on 5/12. I was pretty pleased with that speed.
I went with matte black, which maybe helped getting it a little quicker.

Wheels are elite SLT 50mm deep 29mm wide and the groupset is Sensa Empire.
No issues with the frame, other than the challenges of getting the cables through the integrated bars.  Being my first build, I didn't think it was too bad.

I've only had time to get about 30 miles in so far, but no problem to report yet. I did put a little tape on my seat post, so I can check to make sure it's not slipping over time, as that's been an issue on other velobuild frames.

My other bike is an aluminum endurance frame, so this should be a lot lighter and quicker. The bathroom scale has the 218at just under 19.5 lbs, my endurance bike is 25 lbs.