Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-218  (Read 82648 times)

Sebastian

Re: Velobuild VB-R-218
« Reply #180 on: September 18, 2022, 03:23:57 AM »
i assume this this may be common but not to major. special for what was paid for the frame. small things like that i expect. This what I'm glad to here about at the end of the day. side note @sebastian how is the fit. if I remeber your a tall rider.

The fit is very nice in fact. I like the steep head and seat angle. It makes for a position well above the BB which I like. And also very direct steering despite my 120mm stem. So direct is the steering in fact that I think it would be too nervous for my liking with a shorter stem. I particularly like the handlebar shape. I find it very comfy especially in the drops. The reach is a tad shorter than on my previous frame but I don’t feel cramped so all good. It does even make it easier for me to ride in an aero position with horizontal forearms since I can rest my arms better on the bars. I do have more toe overlap. But at my height and with my shoe size I do get this on all road bikes to some degree. I’ve learned to live with it and it’s basically never an issue.

holmosapien

« Reply #181 on: September 18, 2022, 04:37:50 PM »
I ordered my VB-R-218 in size XXL with the 110/42 cockpit on August 20, with a September 5 ship date and September 13 arrival in Texas. My intention was to use it as a frame for all of the spare parts I've been collecting in my garage to use as a fun project bike.

I spent yesterday building it up, and it's now mostly complete. I was worried about the shifting quality with the full internal routing -- enough that I actually started researching buying a Rival eTap groupset before I built up the bike, negating the entire purpose of even beginning this project -- but I powered through and I'm pleased to say the shifting is superb. Running both hydraulic brakes and mechanical shifting through the headset was a royal pain, but now that it's done I'm happy with the results. Handlebars rotate just fine with everything bundled up in there, and the shifting is just as smooth as my bikes with more relaxed cable routing.

It was a little tough to get the bottom bracket threaded in. There was a ton of paint in the threads that I had to carefully scrape out because it was preventing me from even getting the threads engaged, but after an hour I was able to finally get the bottom bracket installed. I haven't noticed any friction or problems rotating the cranks, so I'm hopeful everything turns out to be aligned well enough.

The only problem I have so far is that after several hours of tinkering, I can't get the hydraulic brakes aligned at all using the normal tricks. The scraping is much more severe than I've experienced from any of the other bikes I've built, and I suspect the mounts need to be faced. I ordered the Hayes brake alignment tool to see if that will help, but if not I'll pop into my LBS to get them faced. I just want to fully exhaust all attempts to do it myself since they're an authorized Pinarello dealer. Maybe they won't care, or maybe they'll be totally offended and toss me out. We'll see.

Component list:

- R7000 105 mechanical groupset, including 172.5 mm crank with 4iiii power meter
- Giant PR2 wheelset
- Continental GP5000 tires, 700x25
- Bontrager tubes
- Proxim W350 saddle
- Jagwire shift cables
- RS500 SPD SL pedals, sitting in the garage not installed yet

Definitely not lightweight. In its current state without pedals, it's 8.76 kg. The RS500 pedals are about 320g, and when I install the water bottle cages that arrive tomorrow that will tip me well over the 9 kg mark. Definitely not concerned about weight since this is a spare parts build, but depending on how it rides I could see myself swapping the wheelset out with something a little more svelt sometime in the future.

Once I can get the brakes to the point where the wheels turn without waking up the neighbors, I'll report back on ride quality.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 05:28:44 PM by holmosapien »

madmax

« Reply #182 on: September 19, 2022, 09:36:46 AM »
Very nice paint job above.

Did you do that or was it done at the factory ? .... Also I think you may need handlebar tape, which you should be able to buy at the local shop, which should carry Pinarello/Most handlebar tape  ;D

holmosapien

« Reply #183 on: September 19, 2022, 12:45:17 PM »
Velobuild painted it. I found a picture of a VB-R-099 that I thought looked decent -- http://ueeshop.ly200-cdn.com/u_file/UPAB/UPAB004/2010/photo/e47e33d856.jpg -- so I asked Chris if they could reproduce that on the VB-R-218. There are some areas where the paint is a little uneven where two colors meet, but it's much better than anything I could do myself.

Sometimes I think I should have gone with something a little crazier, like gold and green (green for the money, gold for the honey) or maybe one of those chameleon paint jobs, but I suppose this simple and understated color scheme is the safer option.

DroidBE

« Reply #184 on: September 19, 2022, 01:19:53 PM »
Looking at the photos, actually, gold with black/grey looks quite good!  8)  Gold/MatteDarkGreen should match nicely as well.

I'll get matte black, but I'll soon start thinking about some gold color combinations  ;D

earicm

« Reply #185 on: September 20, 2022, 03:25:49 AM »
Mad some updates to my bike. I got sram red power meter crank from pro’s closet for less than forces crank. I also went with cheaper wheel set and got the elite drive wheels and using tpu tubes. The bike now weighs 7.95kg. Picture is with forces crank which looks better.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 03:27:20 AM by earicm »

DroidBE

« Reply #186 on: September 20, 2022, 04:27:34 AM »
Mad some updates to my bike. I got sram red power meter crank from pro’s closet for less than forces crank. I also went with cheaper wheel set and got the elite drive wheels and using tpu tubes. The bike now weighs 7.95kg. Picture is with forces crank which looks better.

It looks perfect!  8)

Are they 50mm deep wheels or deeper?

dr Smoooth

« Reply #187 on: September 21, 2022, 09:55:44 PM »
Oh, there is an actual product called Juin Tech....... I thought the earlier poster had made a typo  ;D

I looked up the campagnolo manuals for servicing & it seems like either the sram force woukd be the easier install or the campy rim brakes would be easier to maintain

Frankly, in all my years of riding I have never had an issues with rim's, though my first & only carbon madone now has disc brakes

Elite Wheels ordered.  SRAM Force Etap ordered.  Need BB, cassette and bar tape.

hurburt

« Reply #188 on: September 22, 2022, 11:21:48 AM »
Heyo ppl

I am about to order the frameset  and am unsure about sizing  ::)

I normally ride a 2019 canyon aeroad cf sl rim brake bike in size m. Am 182cm saddle height is 77cm and stem has 2 cm spacers under it.

Used geometry geeks and everything but still unsure…

Vb-r218 in m with a 40-120 or 110 stem
Or vb-218 in l with a 40-100 stem.

Which option would you recommend. Am flexible.

madmax

« Reply #189 on: September 22, 2022, 03:49:54 PM »
Heyo ppl

I am about to order the frameset  and am unsure about sizing  ::)

I normally ride a 2019 canyon aeroad cf sl rim brake bike in size m. Am 182cm saddle height is 77cm and stem has 2 cm spacers under it.

Used geometry geeks and everything but still unsure…

Vb-r218 in m with a 40-120 or 110 stem
Or vb-218 in l with a 40-100 stem.

Which option would you recommend. Am flexible.

Here you go.  I compared 4 sizes for you with your current  Canyon CF-SL 2019

https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/velobuild-vb-r-218-2022-525-xl,velobuild-vb-r-218-2022-520-l,canyon-aeroad-cf-sl-7-0-2019-m,velobuild-vb-r-218-2022-510-m/

madmax

« Reply #190 on: September 22, 2022, 05:05:22 PM »
Elite Wheels ordered.  SRAM Force Etap ordered.  Need BB, cassette and bar tape.

What BB are you specifying when ordering the frame ?

I'm a  little confused at the selection of types

I haven't ordered the frame as yet as I am still in 2 minds on what exactly I want to build. I know sure it will be the vbr-218 frame

1.  VBR-218 + Campagnolo Record Groupset + Rim brakes
- Ease of maintenance
- Campy's durability
- Probably harder install with multiple cables (mechanical groupset)
- Lower cost
- Less stress when dumping bike in car. I'm always afraid of damaging my madone
- Easier wheel removal

2.  VBR-218 + SRAM Force AXS + Disc brakes  (the force groupset is much more expensive)
- Ease of install
- I don't know anything about brake bleeding, though since the Madone has the sram force, I would just need one kit
- Cleaner install/look

Maybe we need a poll on here for rim vs disc for this frame ?

kongo

« Reply #191 on: September 22, 2022, 07:15:34 PM »

I haven't ordered the frame as yet as I am still in 2 minds on what exactly I want to build. I know sure it will be the vbr-218 frame

- Ease of maintenance
- Campy's durability
- Lower cost
- Easier wheel removal

2.  VBR-218 + SRAM Force AXS + Disc brakes  (the force groupset is much more expensive)
- Ease of install
- I don't know anything about brake bleeding, though since the Madone has the sram force, I would just need one kit
- Cleaner install/look

I'd go with opt 2 I don't know how cable friendly this frame is. I'm still waiting on mine to come in. I'm going di2 11 speed. elite wheels 55 depth. i already strip down my old setup. the frame been in shipping since last week. I'm shooting for 17lbs form the items i weight  already only thing I dont know for sure is frame weight.

Sebastian

« Reply #192 on: September 23, 2022, 01:15:06 AM »

- Ease of maintenance
- Campy's durability
- Lower cost
- Easier wheel removal

- Ease of install
- Cleaner install/look

I went with option 1. Mainly because I already have a collection of rim brake wheels and I had the Campy groupset already. Mechanical routing on this frame is doable. Honestly I thought it was going to be way worse. Also, this Frameset is really heavy and in its rim brake version despite being the largest size, it’s below 8kg including pedals and accessories. I can get it down to 7.6 with my lightest wheels.  And the terrain makes a difference IMO. My rides are predominantly flat so overheating my carbon rims is just not an issue. I have basically no rim wear and a set of pads lasts ages. 

kongo

« Reply #193 on: September 24, 2022, 11:29:55 AM »

GC performance review

patliean1

« Reply #194 on: September 24, 2022, 11:58:14 AM »

GC performance review

Having ridden both my VB-177 and VB-168 for some time now, I share the same exact sentiments of GC Performance.

Sluggish but overall a good value for the price. You probably wont get dropped from a fast group ride or lose any competitions solely because of a VeloBuild frame, and I don't think anyone really expects the frame to truly compete with frames ridden by professionals, enthusiasts, and dentists alike.