Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-218  (Read 82623 times)

holmosapien

Re: Velobuild VB-R-218
« Reply #315 on: November 03, 2022, 10:17:54 AM »
Hey, I'll probably buy me an VBR218 with rim brakes for Christmas but i don't know which size should i get. Velobuild told me i should get an XL, can you guys give me advices ?
I'm 194cm 84kg but i have an 88cm inseam (very short legs)(saddle height between 79 80), i'm 22yo and flexible.
So, should i get an L or an XL ???
Thanks in advance and sorry for the spelling mistakes, english is not my first language.
Have a good one !

I'm 185 cm with an 88 cm inseam, and I was able to transfer the fit from my other bikes to the XXL with a 110 mm stem very easily. For comparison, it's similar to a large (57.5 cm) Giant Defy or a M (56 cm) Canyon Ultimate where I've swapped in a longer stem.

I have a feeling at 190 cm you'd be pretty cramped on a L, which is the same geometry as the 55 cm Dogma and designed for people around 175 cm tall. But in the end, like Sebastian says, it all depends on what you're used to.

hurburt

« Reply #316 on: November 03, 2022, 10:45:59 AM »
Heyo wrote in a couple of weeks ago asking for sizing recommendations. Decided to go for a M with 110-400 handlebar.

Was my first build. Had my troubles with internal routing, but managed to pull through :) Pretty happy with the result. You be the judge.

For me it rides a little rougher than my 2019 Aeroad CF SL but I had 28mm tyres on there and on the velobuild its 25mm and a blank carbon saddle.

All in all a great bike and solid value for money with the 105, the sensah shifters and elite ent wheelset. I am putting on tan sidewall tyres once these contis are done. Then it should look a little more exiting ;)

Serge_K

« Reply #317 on: November 03, 2022, 11:10:18 AM »
For me it rides a little rougher than my 2019 Aeroad CF SL but I had 28mm tyres on there and on the velobuild its 25mm and a blank carbon saddle.

tan sidewall tyres once these contis are done.

Rim brake? interesting choice! You don't have access to the glut of second hand rim brake bikes everybody is trying to offload? The 25 vs 28mm can alone probably explain the ride difference. Would be curious to hear your thoughts on ride quality difference controlling for contact points, if you ever feel like running a semi scientific experiment.

FYI, Conti GP 5000 exist in "transparent", from memory, which is a dark shade on tan. I have a pair of 25.

hurburt

« Reply #318 on: November 03, 2022, 11:26:05 AM »
Rim brake? interesting choice! You don't have access to the glut of second hand rim brake bikes everybody is trying to offload? The 25 vs 28mm can alone probably explain the ride difference. Would be curious to hear your thoughts on ride quality difference controlling for contact points, if you ever feel like running a semi scientific experiment.

FYI, Conti GP 5000 exist in "transparent", from memory, which is a dark shade on tan. I have a pair of 25.

I do! Thats how I got my Canyon Aeroad  :D There is quite a few rim brake bikes on sites like ebay etc. atm.  None of the ones in my price range have the iconic pinarello dogma look tho

But for real these are my reasons in no particular order:
- easier to work with
- lighter
- I need no extra tools to install nor a drain kit for maintanence
- I had fake ee brakes lying around from my first ever shopping experience on aliexpress and decided to then build a cheapish bike around them (I know its a weird place to start :D)
- more aerodramatic  ;)
- I despise the rising costs for bike parts and disc grupos are most of the time around 20ish% pricier
- Also I dont have a big wallet.
- Save the rim brake
- I have a set of winter fulcrum alloy clinchers for the rainy days
- I have always wanted the iconic looking tdf winning curved pinarello dogma frame with rim brakes; now i got the less paperello doge f, so I am happy - I just hope the brakes and the frameset hold up to my watts and riding skill (both not really high hehe)

Conti even has a "cream" colored version, but usually it is 40€ more and ways around 40-50g more for both tyres.
I had a look at the michelin power cup in tan. Looks interesting, but I have only ever ridden conti, so I might go for transparent, since it does not have the mentioned drawbacks. But it might not look as good - ah decisions
But as is - totally blacked out - it gives me batmobile vibes  :D I don't know if I like that.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 12:46:17 PM by hurburt »

Sebastian

« Reply #319 on: November 03, 2022, 01:18:42 PM »
I applaud your choice, Hurburt. And my reasons are pretty much the same. Everyone has different taste obviously. But to me, the Dogma represents peak rim brake. That’s why I wanted one. But I could never afford nor justify the real thing.
Also, I wanted direct mount and fully internal cabling. The Dogma is one of very few bikes to have that.
I’m curious to see how you fare with those fake EEs. You’re aware that one other poster here already had a pair of these disintegrate on him?

hurburt

« Reply #320 on: November 03, 2022, 02:21:50 PM »
I applaud your choice, Hurburt. And my reasons are pretty much the same. Everyone has different taste obviously. But to me, the Dogma represents peak rim brake. That’s why I wanted one. But I could never afford nor justify the real thing.
Also, I wanted direct mount and fully internal cabling. The Dogma is one of very few bikes to have that.
I’m curious to see how you fare with those fake EEs. You’re aware that one other poster here already had a pair of these disintegrate on him?

Heyo Sebastian, well thanks!
the real pinarello dogma f certainly is peak rim brake road bike stuff.
Yes... the velobuild has sometimes minor sometimes major qc issues and the weight is not the same. But all in all its a stunning bike for round about 1500€. A pinarello from 2009 would just barely go for the same money hehe.

I know I have skimmed over that part of the post and try not to think about it... But it ways somewhat on my conscience. I decided to try them anyway and apart from the installation being kind of complicated, they have been quiet nice (looks and performance).
I have only been on two rides so far. One today, one yesterday. And I must say, the perfomance of the brakes has been slowly decreasing my supressed angst of sudden critical failure. I hope it stays that way.

I have them in black and maybe that is key? :D idk I weight around 70kg and today I went down a little berg with about 75kmh and the braking performance wasn't lacking. Could be the wheels aswell. They seem to take quite a bit of rubber from the yellow swissstop brake pads. More than on my old FFWD F4R (maybe because the pads are new or the braking surface is more grippy).

Anyhow I like your build as well. Was really debating between the 105 and sensah combo, complete 105, complete sensah or campi centaur (I have campi 11 spd eps super record shifting mixed with other stuff on my aeroad). But in the end I went for the sensah 105 with ee brake in the spirit of chinertown :D and i had those brakes anyway and didnt need a whole grupo.

Sebastian

« Reply #321 on: November 04, 2022, 02:37:31 AM »
And I must say, the perfomance of the brakes has been slowly decreasing my supressed angst of sudden critical failure. I hope it stays that way.

I have them in black and maybe that is key? :D idk I weight around 70kg and today I went down a little berg with about 75kmh and the braking performance wasn't lacking. Could be the wheels aswell. They seem to take quite a bit of rubber from the yellow swissstop brake pads. More than on my old FFWD F4R (maybe because the pads are new or the braking surface is more grippy).

Anyhow I like your build as well. Was really debating between the 105 and sensah combo, complete 105, complete sensah or campi centaur (I have campi 11 spd eps super record shifting mixed with other stuff on my aeroad). But in the end I went for the sensah 105 with ee brake in the spirit of chinertown :D and i had those brakes anyway and didnt need a whole grupo.

Well, I hope they work out for you.
How's Campy EPS for you? I'm seriously considering getting EPS 11sp since the stuff can be bought used rather cheap sometimes. The only thing I don't like is that the rear mech shouldn't be used with more than a 29cog according to spec.

nar6

« Reply #322 on: November 04, 2022, 02:43:19 AM »
Thanks for the response guys ! I'll definitely go for an XL with the longer stem, I've compared it to my others bikes, the reach is about the same on one.

Take care.

hurburt

« Reply #323 on: November 04, 2022, 01:57:05 PM »
Well, I hope they work out for you.
How's Campy EPS for you? I'm seriously considering getting EPS 11sp since the stuff can be bought used rather cheap sometimes. The only thing I don't like is that the rear mech shouldn't be used with more than a 29cog according to spec.

Thanks mate. I will keep you posted. And I hope I will be able to keep you posted, if they decide to bail on me.

I really enjoy the shifting of EPS. Its quite precise and the hoods feel great. I found it quite hard to get the front derailleur to work properly in the beginning, because I was using 50/34 Chainrings (because of 29 tooth max at the back) the derailleur would scratch my crank when in the hardest gear at the back. the app is not as refined as di2. Also the shifting buttons on top are not existent on EPS (unlike shimano). So you only get the typical campi mech shifting buttons, which is a bummer if you are used to more. Also you can't individually assign functions to the buttons only presets can be chosen, negating the major benefits of electronic shifting a little bit.

Pro:
- shifting in extreme positions is prossible with electronic
- shifting is always the same once the button is clicked
- very comfortable to use without app and adjust mid ride without even stopping.

Cons:
- the actual electronic or "smart" part of electronic shifting on campy isnt as refined (app has barely any customisation)
- I think in this regard all electronic shifting could be better. It is electronic yes but its missing some of the "smart" features like more buttons on other places, custom button mapping etc.

I have never ridden campy mechanical shifting, but from what I am told, it is quite precise and clean to begin with. So if you have campy mech now, I am not sure if electronic is a huge step up.

Benbenben

« Reply #324 on: November 04, 2022, 04:28:20 PM »
Ok, I have pulled the trigger on the frame. Unpainted matte. Next step is the wheelset. I am hesitating between the x-weave or standard elite wheels. Also I think about upgrading the spokes from pillar 1423 to 1420 for about a 50gr per wheel for 50$. Do you guys think it's worth it?

Also what do you think about the x-weave style?

kenderu

« Reply #325 on: November 04, 2022, 11:31:34 PM »
I had to go with the standard wheels, as the X-Weave doesnt come in 60mm depth (which is what I like).

Sebastian

« Reply #326 on: November 05, 2022, 02:18:45 AM »

I have never ridden campy mechanical shifting, but from what I am told, it is quite precise and clean to begin with. So if you have campy mech now, I am not sure if electronic is a huge step up.

Thanks for sharing your experience. EPS is tempting but every time I weigh up the pros and cons I’m deciding against it. Centaur is great but the shifting is not as quick as with higher ranking Campy groups. It’s more resembling the feeling of SRAM Double Tap, because the shift only engages upon releasing the thumb paddle. But the thumb paddle is much easier to reach especially when sprinting.

I’ve also been thinking of going 12sp with Chorus as that can be bought for reasonable prices, too. But that again opens up a whole can of problems bc I think Id have to swap not only the cassette but also the chainrings. Too expensive.

I still have a 1st gen Chorus 11 groupset which is silly light and gorgeous to look at. I’ve read that people have made it to work with 11-32. I might just give that a try when rebuilding the bike on the replacement frame.

Sebastian

« Reply #327 on: November 05, 2022, 04:26:49 AM »
Ok, I have pulled the trigger on the frame. Unpainted matte. Next step is the wheelset. I am hesitating between the x-weave or standard elite wheels. Also I think about upgrading the spokes from pillar 1423 to 1420 for about a 50gr per wheel for 50$. Do you guys think it's worth it?

Also what do you think about the x-weave style?

As an amateur wheelbuilder I’d say if you’re investing in a carbon wheelset I wouldn’t save on the spokes. 50USD upcharge is reasonable for Pillar 1420s. They’re equivalent to Sapim CX Rays in cross section, weight and fatigue resistance. They’re among the best steel bladed spokes you can get. Also, saving 100g on a wheelset is a lot. Saving weight makes more of a noticeable difference on the rims and tires/inner tubes. But still.
Only downside with the 1420s is that they will make the wheels marginally less stiff.
I got 1420s on my tubulars and CX Rays on my clinchers. I can’t say anything negative about them.

hurburt

« Reply #328 on: November 05, 2022, 03:00:06 PM »
Thanks for sharing your experience. EPS is tempting but every time I weigh up the pros and cons I’m deciding against it. Centaur is great but the shifting is not as quick as with higher ranking Campy groups. It’s more resembling the feeling of SRAM Double Tap, because the shift only engages upon releasing the thumb paddle. But the thumb paddle is much easier to reach especially when sprinting.

I still have a 1st gen Chorus 11 groupset which is silly light and gorgeous to look at. I’ve read that people have made it to work with 11-32. I might just give that a try when rebuilding the bike on the replacement frame.

Well if you want electronic shifting, I would wait for some bigger changes than one more cog at the back. They must be some big innovations around the corner, because not a lot has happened lately. Maybe wireless and more buttons and customisation options.
Also using a bike - where you do everything with your own body and your own strength - it feels somewhat strange to use electronic shifting... But maybe thats just a weird thought I have.
But then again, if you find a deal you cant let pass, go for it. Something new is always a motivator to go out and ride our bikes, right? :D

Yeah I thought they must be a difference between Centaur and the higher ranking groups other than the looks obviously. I must say tho I am pleasently suprised with the Sensah Shimano combination. It works well and I should be able to use it with gloves no problem, because you only use one big lever.

Go for the Chorus build! If you have it laying around that would be the way to go. I would have gone for it, but it wasn't in my budget range at the time of purchasing the parts.

Mind posting a pic of the bb are, when you receive the replacement frame?

madmax

« Reply #329 on: November 06, 2022, 07:36:29 PM »
Finally frame order size XL,  handlebar 420/110
What mount do I need for my Garmin Edge 1030+ ?

I'm going back & forth via email with Chris@velobuild & trying to figure out how to order the mount. since it does not show up on their webpage

Groupset will be 12spd Campagnolo Record + rim brakes  & wheels will be Elite Drive 50V & this should be a really nice bike to ride