Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-218  (Read 82590 times)

madmax

Re: Velobuild VB-R-218
« Reply #375 on: November 27, 2022, 10:35:33 AM »
Wheels showed up & are sitting in the box behind me.
Will open up everything once frame arrives.
Frame is now somewhere in Tennessee after having gone through Hong Kong & Alaska

Meanwhile, I wound up buying even more stuff on Amazon, including a Campagnolo chain catcher.
I was on the fence about this till I remembered my sram force dropped the front chain & that got stuck so bad, we had to remove the crank.
The guys at Trek had forgotten to align the chain guard on the Madone within spec & it dropped under high torque/speed

I thought about painting the frame myself, but at this point I will leave it raw/matte & add a couple of decals on it & clearcoat that
add in conti tubes & vittoria corsa tires & inner liners & the campy record 12spd groupset & bike is done & probably the dura-ace spd pedals, which are on my other bikes & can take an incredible amount of abuse.

Finish off the handlebar with Bontrager super tack tape, same as on my madone sl7, which is holding up very well.

Queen of Skulls

« Reply #376 on: November 28, 2022, 02:03:05 AM »
Ordered mine in xl and working on the paint with chris.... going to have to do some stencil design.

Yay so close.
Off with your Head tubes...

If the girls dont find you pretty they should at least find you handy...

[color #FE0000]P[/color][color #FDA601]R[/color][color #FFFF01]I[/color][color #008000]D[/color][color #1614E4]E[/color][color #80007E]!!!![/color]

madmax

« Reply #377 on: November 28, 2022, 10:19:03 AM »
Ordered mine in xl and working on the paint with chris.... going to have to do some stencil design.

Yay so close.

Mine is showing up in the next couple of hours.

Are you airbrushing on the decals yourself or having it done outside ?
I have a couple of designs in my head that I want to get done & put on the frame & clearcoated

JonMS

« Reply #378 on: November 28, 2022, 02:26:34 PM »
Mine is showing up in the next couple of hours.

Are you airbrushing on the decals yourself or having it done outside ?
I have a couple of designs in my head that I want to get done & put on the frame & clearcoated

Did your frame show yet? Having trouble getting my bottom bracket threaded in both sides.

madmax

« Reply #379 on: November 28, 2022, 04:26:25 PM »
Did your frame show yet? Having trouble getting my bottom bracket threaded in both sides.

Should be here by 4:30 PM PST per Fedex
Mine is the rim brake version with BSA threads, so remember crank side is left threaded, ie lefty-tighty  (double check this)

1. Check threads for any paints & clean the inside very carefully with a shop towel & isopropyl alcohol to get any gunk out of the threads

2. DO NOT force the threads. if doubt take it to local shop where they can get the bracket in for you or rethread if needed.

3. Ideally, you should be able to use a light smear of grease, polylube1000 or asc-1 (anti-seize) & be able to screw the bottoms in & finger tighten them without cross-threading

madmax

« Reply #380 on: November 28, 2022, 05:26:01 PM »
Box showed up..... somewhat opened/dented

Parts all over the bottom of the box. I will post a pix on these, as I am not sure if I'm actually missing parts/screws/caps now or if everything is included
Frame is wrapped & not opened yet & will examine this after work & take a pix

If someone can post a pix of their parts after opening the box, it would be appreciated....

JonMS

« Reply #381 on: November 28, 2022, 05:37:33 PM »
Should be here by 4:30 PM PST per Fedex
Mine is the rim brake version with BSA threads, so remember crank side is left threaded, ie lefty-tighty  (double check this)

1. Check threads for any paints & clean the inside very carefully with a shop towel & isopropyl alcohol to get any gunk out of the threads

2. DO NOT force the threads. if doubt take it to local shop where they can get the bracket in for you or rethread if needed.

3. Ideally, you should be able to use a light smear of grease, polylube1000 or asc-1 (anti-seize) & be able to screw the bottoms in & finger tighten them without cross-threading

Thanks, I got it. Paint in the threads was worse than it looked. Used a wire brush and an older BSA BB I had lying around to test/chase the threads with until it was butter. I had file down the center rivet almost flat to get my DUB BB to fit. Thankfully the provided bolt is already short enough so that didn't need any modification.

madmax

« Reply #382 on: November 28, 2022, 06:03:25 PM »
Here's the pix of all the parts that fell into & out of the box as soon as it was opened

I think I am missing the Garmin mount that I paid for & probably the top cap cover

madmax

« Reply #383 on: November 28, 2022, 07:14:29 PM »
Thanks, I got it. Paint in the threads was worse than it looked. Used a wire brush and an older BSA BB I had lying around to test/chase the threads with until it was butter. I had file down the center rivet almost flat to get my DUB BB to fit. Thankfully the provided bolt is already short enough so that didn't need any modification.

Just checked my box & frame & there almost no paint in the threads in the BB.

I am missing  stem cover with "P" logo or whatever,  Garmin mount & optional skewers for the rims (I don't know if they actually send those with the frame or not)

I have 2 alum pieces & 3 metals pieces (which go on teh frame), or I have no ideas where those are used

JonMS

« Reply #384 on: November 28, 2022, 10:50:57 PM »
Just checked my box & frame & there almost no paint in the threads in the BB.

I am missing  stem cover with "P" logo or whatever,  Garmin mount & optional skewers for the rims (I don't know if they actually send those with the frame or not)

I have 2 alum pieces & 3 metals pieces (which go on teh frame), or I have no ideas where those are used

You’re missing a couple headset spacer items. I got a Garmin mount that came with my frame. You seem to have an extra set of grub screws for yours. Lol what a mess. Are you US based? I actually bought spare headset spacers and might be able to help you out if velobuild is painful on getting you your parts.

madmax

« Reply #385 on: November 28, 2022, 11:59:39 PM »
You’re missing a couple headset spacer items. I got a Garmin mount that came with my frame. You seem to have an extra set of grub screws for yours. Lol what a mess. Are you US based? I actually bought spare headset spacers and might be able to help you out if velobuild is painful on getting you your parts.

Just sent you a PM. I have emailed Chris on the missing parts, but I am confused on what parts should actually be there

Sebastian

« Reply #386 on: November 29, 2022, 01:42:54 AM »
Here's the pix of all the parts that fell into & out of the box as soon as it was opened

I think I am missing the Garmin mount that I paid for & probably the top cap cover

You are missing the top cap and most importantly you are missing the upper headset bearing cap that the two piece spacers sit on top of.
The black metal parts are the wedges for the seatpost and handlebar. For those you’ll need the grub screws. The two piece silver aluminium part is a Di2 battery adapter. You can ignore that if you’re using a mechanical groupset. There’s also a battery holder inside attached to the bottom bracket cover that you won’t need.

madmax

« Reply #387 on: November 29, 2022, 10:18:00 AM »
Here's a cleaner pix taken 5 min ago & added numbers & folks can correct me if I am wrong

1. Headset compression plug
2. Bearing #1
3. Bearing #1 bottom race
4. Bearing #2
5. Bearing #2 top race
6. Various screws for seat-post etc
7. Spacer (big)
8. Spacer (small)
9. Bottom or top ?
10. Wedge for ?
11. Wedge for ?
12. Wedge for ?
13. Di2 battery adapter

I think I am missing only the top cap & the garmin mount at this point.

Does anything look broken or missing to you guys ?

coffeebreak

« Reply #388 on: November 29, 2022, 11:14:32 AM »
#9 looks like dust cap. All your headset spacers will go on top of it

JonMS

« Reply #389 on: November 29, 2022, 12:44:50 PM »
Here's a cleaner pix taken 5 min ago & added numbers & folks can correct me if I am wrong

1. Headset compression plug
2. Bearing #1
3. Bearing #1 bottom race
4. Bearing #2
5. Bearing #2 top race
6. Various screws for seat-post etc
7. Spacer (big)
8. Spacer (small)
9. Bottom (goes ontop of 5 and is keyed)
10. Wedge for seat post
11. Wedge for stem
12. Wedge for seat post
13. Di2 battery adapter

I think I am missing only the top cap & the garmin mount at this point.

Does anything look broken or missing to you guys ?