Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-218  (Read 82584 times)

Sebastian

Re: Velobuild VB-R-218
« Reply #675 on: May 23, 2023, 11:34:47 PM »
It might have to do with the dropped stays. That creates more stress in this area. Still it shouldn’t happen of course. Let’s see how VB handle this.

JonMS

« Reply #676 on: May 24, 2023, 11:23:47 AM »
It might have to do with the dropped stays. That creates more stress in this area. Still it shouldn’t happen of course. Let’s see how VB handle this.

They are replacing the frame. I will keep this updated if/when I get tracking information and frame.

Sebastian

« Reply #677 on: May 26, 2023, 02:08:38 PM »
There's already limited compatibility between original Campag 11sp rings and 12sp chains, usually at least resulting in accelerated wear. Now I'm running aftermarket chainrings, so compatibility is unknown.

I fit 12sp chainrings to my cranks today. 52/36 teeth combo. This seems to have fixed my issues. Chain runs quieter now. Front shifting is smooth. No chain skipping anymore on the small ring. I rode up a steep incline and everything was smooth. I deliberately tried to make the chain skip but it wouldn’t. So all good now.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 04:24:21 PM by Sebastian »

Jimin

« Reply #678 on: May 29, 2023, 04:04:12 AM »
Have anyone bought another handlebar and installed it? I might need a 80mm stem and from what I can see, they only have 90mm.

madmax

« Reply #679 on: May 30, 2023, 08:11:44 AM »
I fit 12sp chainrings to my cranks today. 52/36 teeth combo. This seems to have fixed my issues. Chain runs quieter now. Front shifting is smooth. No chain skipping anymore on the small ring. I rode up a steep incline and everything was smooth. I deliberately tried to make the chain skip but it wouldn’t. So all good now.

Nice work there, glad it all worked out.

If you are in the large ring in the front & stand up and power up an incline and press both thumb shifters at the same time, a correctly setup Campy will shift front & back instantly under full torque with zero issues or dropouts.

Obviously this is not recommended practice all the time, but a Campy is the only groupset that I have seen/owned/used that can handle this & it is by far the best mechanical shifting system I have ever used

ScotAm123

« Reply #680 on: May 31, 2023, 04:27:44 AM »
Qn from a newbie.
I have a 105 mechanical groupset on an old bike with rim brakes. Was looking at at buying a new chinese carbon frame, and transfer components on and just buy a wheelset giving me a new bike in effect for very little outlay.

Is the VB-R-218 my best option ?
I will be handing it to someone to do, will it be straightforward with the cabling given its mechanical
Has the headset issue been resolved with a new ring or is it still an issue. If it is, then this rules it out.

Thanks

Sebastian

« Reply #681 on: May 31, 2023, 11:39:58 AM »
Qn from a newbie.
I have a 105 mechanical groupset on an old bike with rim brakes. Was looking at at buying a new chinese carbon frame, and transfer components on and just buy a wheelset giving me a new bike in effect for very little outlay.

Is the VB-R-218 my best option ?
I will be handing it to someone to do, will it be straightforward with the cabling given its mechanical
Has the headset issue been resolved with a new ring or is it still an issue. If it is, then this rules it out.

Thanks

Unless your old groupset has direct mount rim brakes, you would have to get new ones for this frame.
Is it straightforward? Well it depends on the skills of your mechanic. It is a fully internally routed frame. So installing a fully mechanical groupset on this and routing everything through the headset is obviously a bit of a nightmare job. Also, you will most likely have to drill the rear brake cable exit hole bigger on the top tube as it’s seemingly too small the way the frame is coming out of the mold. So no. it’s not straightforward. ;-)

There’s no issues that I know of with the compression ring on this frame. That would be the 168 and 177, I believe.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 11:51:45 AM by Sebastian »

Jimin

« Reply #682 on: May 31, 2023, 11:53:03 AM »
Unless your old groupset has direct mount rim brakes, you would have to get new ones for this frame.
Is it straightforward? Well it depends on the skills of your mechanic. It is a fully internally routed frame. So installing a fully mechanical groupset on this and routing everything through the headset id obviously a bit of a nightmare job. Also, you will most likely have to drill the rear brake cable exit hole bigger on the top tube as it’s seemingly too small the way the frame is coming out of the mold. So no. it’s not straightforward. ;-)

There’s no issues that I know of with the compression ring on this frame. That would be the 168 and 177, I believe.

I have gone back and forth for a while now and would you still recommend this bike frame? :)
I remember that you also had rim brakes. Which wheelset did you got for that? :)

Sebastian

« Reply #683 on: May 31, 2023, 01:20:17 PM »
I have gone back and forth for a while now and would you still recommend this bike frame? :)
I remember that you also had rim brakes. Which wheelset did you got for that? :)

Well, if you’re looking for something like this, as in an aero rim brake frame with internal routing and if you’re fine with owning a replica then yes, I can recommend it.
Make sure to read this thread and be prepared for the issues you might have. But I love riding this bike. And I particularly love the geometry and handling as well as the ergonomics of the bars. Also to me this bike represents peak rim brake, the end of an era. Just as Campy 12sp represents peak mechanical groupsets for me. That’s why I wanted to build one. But I would never be able to spend 6grand on a real Dogma F frame nor do I expect this VB frame to perform the same.

It’s just a nice bike to ride. And a fast one at that.
The wheels are fully custom. Built by me. Front hub is an old Roval that I polished. Rear hub is Novatec. Sapim CX Ray spokes. 60mm deep, 30mm wide, 23mm internal. Grooved brake track. About 1450g weight. I sourced the rims from an Aliexpress seller that I’ve had good experience with in the past.

madmax

« Reply #684 on: May 31, 2023, 02:56:11 PM »
Well, if you’re looking for something like this, as in an aero rim brake frame with internal routing and if you’re fine with owning a replica then yes, I can recommend it.
Make sure to read this thread and be prepared for the issues you might have. But I love riding this bike. And I particularly love the geometry and handling as well as the ergonomics of the bars. Also to me this bike represents peak rim brake, the end of an era. Just as Campy 12sp represents peak mechanical groupsets for me. That’s why I wanted to build one. But I would never be able to spend 6grand on a real Dogma F frame nor do I expect this VB frame to perform the same.

The wheels are fully custom. Built by me. Front hub is an old Roval that I polished. Rear hub is Novatec. Sapim CX Ray spokes. 60mm deep, 30mm wide, 23mm internal. Grooved brake track. About 1450g weight. I sourced the rims from an Aliexpress seller that I’ve had good experience with in the past.

Get these  . Elite Wheels Drive 50V

https://www.elite-wheels.com/product/drive-50mm-rim-brake-carbon-spoke-wheelset-ceramic-bearing/

Check online for discount codes, notably gcperformance on YouTube..... you could save up to $200

I am using the above wheels on the vbr-218 frame & they are exceptionally well made

Also get direct mount brakes per Seb's suggestion earlier & use the correct pads for carbon wheels

Jimin

« Reply #685 on: May 31, 2023, 03:40:17 PM »

I dont mind replica tbh and internal routing are
the thing that I am most looking for. Been going back and forth between VBR099 as well as this one. The 2nd thing for me is that I am still confused if I should go disc or rims.

I am reading on and off from time to time and I understand that theres is a major issue with the BB. That is a shame that they are using BSA.

Oh are the bars ergonomic? I was actually a bit worry about them. But if they crack in the future, are we locked into VBs handlebar as I understand that they are somewhat propietary or perhaps I just misunderstood it all? :)

That makes sense, for you its entirely another story regarding the meaning of this bike than I do tbh. Thought that it would be fun to build a bike on my own without any experience nor do I own a bike(just borrows my brothers gravelbike all the time).

Oh damn! That is really nice! May I ask which seller? :)

Get these  . Elite Wheels Drive 50V

https://www.elite-wheels.com/product/drive-50mm-rim-brake-carbon-spoke-wheelset-ceramic-bearing/

Check online for discount codes, notably gcperformance on YouTube..... you could save up to $200

I am using the above wheels on the vbr-218 frame & they are exceptionally well made

Also get direct mount brakes per Seb's suggestion earlier & use the correct pads for carbon wheels

Oh they are sure really nice! I was also thinking roughly 50mm.

Alright! Thanks, will note it down :)

JonMS

« Reply #686 on: May 31, 2023, 07:03:35 PM »
Have anyone bought another handlebar and installed it? I might need a 80mm stem and from what I can see, they only have 90mm.

You can get a standard stem from pinarello that will allow you to use a different bar but it must also be full internal routing.
As far as replacement bars? You get original Dogma F bars or you can get replica bars from Aliexpress for around $120 USD.

mattgolt

« Reply #687 on: July 05, 2023, 01:53:40 PM »
1000km Update!

Still in love with this frame. Stiff, rides like a dream and it fits my body type very well (loong arms) . Brake misalignment issue is still only 99% fixed, as I still have some disc rubbing when I go out of the saddle. Still hoping this will eventually fade when the brake pads bed in more, but I might have to do some more effort into re-centering again.

However, I don't have any issues with the frame. No cracks, no creaking, no rattling. Nothing!

« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 01:56:08 PM by mattgolt »

Dcied

« Reply #688 on: July 05, 2023, 04:11:23 PM »

Could you share the link? Very interested. :)

Sebastian

« Reply #689 on: July 07, 2023, 01:28:38 PM »
Could you share the link? Very interested. :)

These are the rims that I got: https://a.aliexpress.com/_ExitYVH

The seller offers all kinds of customisation options, lightweight versions of their rims, spoke upgrades, custom weave and decals. And they got lots of options they don’t actually list on Aliexpress, including the 60mm version of these rims.

They are advertised as being 28mm external/21mm internal. I got them for rim brakes with a machined and grooved brake track. But I’ve measured them to be actually wider than that. They are 22.5mm internal and 29.2 at the brake track. 30mm just below the brake track. I got 25c Vittoria Corsas on there which end up being 28mm wide. See my pictures.