Author Topic: Elite Wheel DRIVE 1,280 gram wheelset - Disc, 45mm  (Read 1735 times)

1Sigma

Elite Wheel DRIVE 1,280 gram wheelset - Disc, 45mm
« on: April 21, 2022, 08:03:03 PM »
Hey All!

So, a little while ago I took delivery of 5 sets of Elite DRIVE Wheelsets. I've been delaying posting here, because they forgot to send valves and warranty cards.  Well, they've arrived, so I am posting them.

They had a secret menu option of 45mm, so that is what I got. It's kind of a sweet spot rim depth for all purpose use.

I have 3 sets left, and if anyone is interested  i am selling them for:
$1,240 CAD
$985 USD (at current rates)
Shipping is extra, but you'll definitely dodge any taxes and customs if you are Canadian.  Most likely dodge them in thr US. It probably won't make sense for any of you living outside of US and Canada once you factor in shipping.

In the box, you get:
-The wheels (obviously...)
-2 rolls of rim tape
-Tubeless valves
-Cycling socks
-Tire levers

Not included: spare spokes.  They announced they will start including spare spokes in May.  So, unfortunately these boxes were left out.

Here is more info on the wheels (keeping in mind they are 45mm, and about 20g heavier)
DRIVE 40D Link: https://www.elite-wheels.com/product/drive-40mm-disc-brake-carbon-spoke-wheelsetceramic-bearing/

ABOUT DRIVE TECHNOLOGY: https://www.elite-wheels.com/news/the-technology-of-drive-wheels

« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 04:51:29 PM by 1Sigma »

Better than average - Extra Average

1Sigma

Re: Elite Wheel DRIVE 1,280 gram wheelset - Disc, 45mm
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2022, 06:30:10 AM »
TraceVelo's review coming soon!
Here is a teaser clip from his channel

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxAg_BJfCstT7rELe45boddJIHNwh9qZ2R

kbike

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2022, 10:09:37 PM »
Absolutely love these wheels. Thank you sigma.  I've gone out for 5 50 mile rides. I used them in 20+mph winds, flats, rolling hills, and a few steep climbs. These wheels are evil. Fast on flats and you still got a weapon to fly up. I think it was my 3rd ride before I finally got to hear the wheels cause of winds.

I've set pr on both flat and climbing segments every single day i went out. I've taken 1 kom on a 2-3 mile segment that I tried to get. I tried to kom a 9% climb today but had ghost shifting so stopped. I didn't want to blow my chain as it bounced between teeth.

Dis/Mounting gp5000 28mm are super easy. I don't need a tool to mount. Removing just need to pop then center beads and slide tool. I'm using the ridenow tpu tubes.  I'd think doing tubeless would be fine if you had to do a serious roadside fix and remove the bead. Really think the 21mm internal really makes a difference over 19mm.

1Sigma

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 08:55:46 PM »
On Monday, I just placed an order for 5 sets of the 50V (rim brake version)
Black decals. If anyone is interested

carbonazza

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2022, 01:20:03 AM »
I'd love to try them, see if they are more rigid, and yeah... save ~50g  ::)
I'm still a bit sceptical on 2 aspects.

The carbon spokes, how easy it would be to find and replace a broken one where you ride.
A no holes rim to avoid the tape is not possible with them.

Then the hubs, I prefer to stick to a known brand especially DT-Swiss.
Multiple times they saved me with their available range of free hubs or end caps.
To service them, or because of an order mistake, or to reuse the wheels on another bike or changing the transmission brand.

That said, only a few bikes I've built, came back with broken spokes, and carbon ones should be stronger.
Hopefully they designed the hub to have a single size, so 4 spares would save you in most cases.
Using a steel spoke temporarily should be possible too.

Riders who change their transmission or want to reuse their wheels on another bike is not that common either.

1Sigma

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2022, 03:05:30 PM »
I'd love to try them, see if they are more rigid, and yeah... save ~50g  ::)
I'm still a bit sceptical on 2 aspects.

The carbon spokes, how easy it would be to find and replace a broken one where you ride.
A no holes rim to avoid the tape is not possible with them.

Then the hubs, I prefer to stick to a known brand especially DT-Swiss.
Multiple times they saved me with their available range of free hubs or end caps.
To service them, or because of an order mistake, or to reuse the wheels on another bike or changing the transmission brand.

That said, only a few bikes I've built, came back with broken spokes, and carbon ones should be stronger.
Hopefully they designed the hub to have a single size, so 4 spares would save you in most cases.
Using a steel spoke temporarily should be possible too.

Riders who change their transmission or want to reuse their wheels on another bike is not that common either.

All good points. 
While the hub flanges are different sizes, the lacing pattern is such that the spoke lengths are all uniform.
Correct on the rim hole requirement too, as these spokes are tightened through the hole, and not via the nipple.

I inquired about the hub body issue for you. I suspect you can switch  between XDR and Shimano if you use their hub body.  However, I also asked if, on the off chance, their dimensions match any other known hub manufacturers.

You live in Belgium, correct?  I would love to get these in your hands if just to test them out.  Shipping would be insane ly expensive though from Canada

carbonazza

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2022, 04:33:22 PM »
I inquired about the hub body issue for you...
You live in Belgium, correct?  I would love to get these in your hands if just to test them out.  Shipping would be insane ly expensive though from Canada

Nice touch!  ;)
I don't even want to think about the taxes and customs misery this would incur.
To finally find out they're not with a Campy free hub 8)

1Sigma

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2022, 04:45:22 PM »
To finally find out they're not with a Campy free hub 8)

Not as far as I’ve seen  :(

Correction: they do have Campy hubs,  but only by special order.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 10:24:53 PM by 1Sigma »

noodleshop

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2022, 07:53:49 AM »
these seem like a lot of fun! Not so convinced about the carbon spokes though. How are they holding up over there?

1Sigma

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2022, 10:51:49 AM »
these seem like a lot of fun! Not so convinced about the carbon spokes though. How are they holding up over there?

So far so good. That being said, I only have several hundred kms on it.
I think though, if there were major problems with carbon spokes we’d probably start hearing it from Hyper wheel owners, who could have logged thousands of kms by now.

Long-term prognosis over tens of thousands of kms? Only time will tell.