Author Topic: IP-256SL brake line routing?  (Read 2334 times)

frankR

IP-256SL brake line routing?
« on: November 15, 2014, 10:03:26 PM »
Sorry for the newbie questions. My first MtB build and I am doing internal brake line routing!

Can someone explain the best way to route the rear brake line on the IP-256SL?

Is the line supposed to go through the bottom bracket shell, or underneath it. I can't tell if there is room underneath it. Hard to imagine it being a good idea going through the bottom bracket shell. There are openings in the shell at the seat tube, head tube and seat stays.

What is the best procedure to route the cable through the small opening in the head tube?

I have XTR brakes (M9000). It looks like the standard line shortening procedure is to cut the line at the lever. Although it would seem to be easier to disconnect the brake line from the caliper then feed it through the opening in the head tube and down the head tube and then through the left seat stay and finally fish it through the opening inthe seat stay.

However, it doesn't look like the connector on the caliper is designed to be easily removed (looks crimped on). The alternative is would be to feed it from the caliper using a stray to get it through the opening in the head tube. However this looks nearly impossible to do.

Thanks for any help!

Will make separate post showing complete build list with photos. This is a high-end build for next seasons XC racing campaign.

Edit: My frame did not come with straws. I found many photos on the web with straws installed for the RD/FD cables and rear brake line. Boy would the pre-routed straws be nice!

-Frank
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 10:34:39 PM by frankR »

Ken4

Re: IP-256SL brake line routing?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 07:01:12 AM »
Mine came with pre-installed straws, so it was a cinch to install. The brake hose went above the BB. The 2 gear cables (inner wire) went below the BB and thru the plastic cable guides. Good luck!

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 07:30:14 AM »
Always disconnect the brake line from the lever and feed it from the rear of the frame, where the caliper mounts, to the front of the frame up to the brake lever.  Use the standard procedure for shortening a brake line without needing to bleed the line after shortening the cable.  If you do it right, you will be able to run the cable, shorten the line, install the new barb & olive, connect to the lever and not need to bleed the line afterward.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

carbonazza

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 08:54:40 AM »
If you don't have installed the bottom bracket and the headset, you can easily do it without the white straws.
Entering to the rear.
Helping it go over the BB shell with your fingers.
While you push from the rear, you can always help it move with your fingers
Then from the headset hole, you can guide the brake line out of the left side of the frame.

For the bleed, since you will probably have to cut the tube.
Even if you loose some drops, during the operation.
If you make a nice cut, you reach the liquid again.

And one thing to avoid, is to touch the lever while it is disconnected.
This will throw all the liquid out, and you'll have to bleed it for sure.

frankR

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 06:21:45 PM »
Got it done!

I inserted a shifter cable into the brake line that I easily fished down to the left seat stay opening and held it all together with 3M vinyl tape. Once I got the taped ends past the BB shell it was pretty easy. I grabbed the tapped section with a pair of needle nose pliers and pulled it towards the middle of the BB shell to get it unstuck. There are a lot of sharp edges inside the frame that like to grab vinyl. The high stiffness of the brake line makes it easy to just push it to help it through.

On to cutting the brake lines to length.

Thanks for the help!

Cnasta

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 03:11:40 PM »
I've never installed a brake on a bike, let alone an internal routed one :) I allready watched the bleeding vids on youtube, but is there a general "how-to" on how to install brakes on the IP-256sl? I don't have any liners, but think I'll manage to get the brakeline through. Not sure on how to do the disconnection of the brakeline from the lever and how to avoid oil getting in the frame.

btw: got formula c1 brakes that I will mount...