Author Topic: LightCarbon 918?  (Read 23889 times)

JimLee

Re: LightCarbon 918?
« Reply #120 on: November 16, 2023, 01:56:05 AM »
Did it come with a UDH mounted on it ?
Did you contact them about this issue ?
Versions before 2023 are non-UDH hanger, and all versions applicable from 2023 with UDH hanger, and you can install sram eagle transmission directly.

indyphil

« Reply #121 on: November 16, 2023, 09:48:51 AM »
Im curious about the 917.  Almost a year on how has it been for you?

ausmtb8989

« Reply #122 on: November 27, 2023, 06:17:39 AM »
Undecided between this and the 917 (aka 919).  I like the idea of two bottle cages.   I want to use parts from a donor bike and hoping to transfer across.
Do you think this can run a 130mm fork and a 120mm shock?
Also will a SRAM NX X Sync ring with 30T boost 3mm offset work with this BB (sorry I am noob with this)

GFP

« Reply #123 on: January 04, 2024, 06:24:24 AM »
I just finished a Light carbon 918, with shimano xt. Excellent frame

jefflinde

« Reply #124 on: January 04, 2024, 08:44:09 AM »
Undecided between this and the 917 (aka 919).  I like the idea of two bottle cages.   I want to use parts from a donor bike and hoping to transfer across.
Do you think this can run a 130mm fork and a 120mm shock?
Also will a SRAM NX X Sync ring with 30T boost 3mm offset work with this BB (sorry I am noob with this)

the fork will be fine, the shock needs to be the correct length and stroke, so most likely not.  and the crank will be fine.  you may need a new BB depending on what your donor bike had for BB shell. 

Cedric_VB

« Reply #125 on: January 10, 2024, 02:40:05 AM »
I'm looking to also build a LCFS918 MTB but I have some concerns (as it is my first build), I weigh 105 kg will the frame (size L) hold my weight doing small jumps?
Should I buy Lightcarbon rims or shoud I buy brand ones locally for the service when something breaks (Belgium)?
What is the wait time for european deliveries (estimate)?

I really like some of the builds I see around here nice work everyone.

jefflinde

« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2024, 06:36:22 PM »
I'm looking to also build a LCFS918 MTB but I have some concerns (as it is my first build), I weigh 105 kg will the frame (size L) hold my weight doing small jumps?
Should I buy Lightcarbon rims or shoud I buy brand ones locally for the service when something breaks (Belgium)?

I am 102kg and ride the large.  I have not had any issues.  I do run my shock pretty close to max psi but that is with all my bikes.  I road a different open mold frame for 5 yrs before this with no issue either.  As for the wheels, light carbon will be just fine as far as the weight is concerned.  As for servicing, any shop should be able to replace a spoke if you were to break one but nothing about LC wheels or any other open mold companies wheels would increase that likelihood. 

JimLee

« Reply #127 on: January 19, 2024, 12:55:15 AM »

105kgs weight is no problem
Gte it from our cooperator in BE or CH, or get it from us in china, it's according the price you can accept, get it from BE and CH price is higher, but ,You can ride your bike to the shop when something goes wrong,
The warranty policy is the same. In addition, if parts need to be replaced, they need to be replaced from China.
The delivery time is also the same, because if you order in Europe, they usually need to complete the manufacturing in China and then transport it to Europe. They don’t keep much inventory.

Cedric_VB

« Reply #128 on: January 26, 2024, 05:20:08 AM »
Ordered my frame a few days ago with the AD930-XC rims will put updates on my build as soon as it arrives.
Can you use car spray paint to paint the raw Carbon (wait with paint was to long)?
I would mount SRAM XO transmission any review about this combo?

Regards

Mrbobbob

« Reply #129 on: January 27, 2024, 04:12:49 AM »
I enquired recently and still no plan to make an extra large size. A shame, as it looks nice!

JimLee

« Reply #130 on: January 31, 2024, 12:37:36 AM »
Ordered my frame a few days ago with the AD930-XC rims will put updates on my build as soon as it arrives.
Can you use car spray paint to paint the raw Carbon (wait with paint was to long)?
I would mount SRAM XO transmission any review about this combo?

Regards
You can use car paint for spray painting, but it will discolor and fade over time. The reason why our spray painting takes a long time is because there are many steps. It requires three different layers of spray paint. Each time, you need to wait for the paint to dry and smooth, and finally Spray a nearly transparent protective paint on the outside.
In this post, an Italian rider uses our frame LCFS918 to install SRAM XO transmission.

Cedric_VB

« Reply #131 on: March 04, 2024, 05:28:07 AM »
Started working on my build this weekend but I snapped of a bolt on the hinge part 1 of the short M8 screws with max 13 NM.
The head snapped of whilst thightening on 10 nm.
Regards

ChristEr

« Reply #132 on: March 11, 2024, 04:19:53 PM »
Are enduro brand bearings pre-installed as they suggest on LC website?
And do they seem easily to reach in case of servicing?
The main pivot bearings of my cube stereo pro must be pulled and are put in sets of two without a possibility to get behind them. This makes servicing very difficult.
How is this engineered on this frame?

ChristEr

« Reply #133 on: March 15, 2024, 07:41:57 AM »
So I figured after reading everyone’s builds and comments before deciding on the 918. Now I have built up mine and had the first ride I thought I would add my feedback.

Main reason I opted for the 918 over the other similar frames was for the 2 bottle bosses and conversations with Jim Lee gave me the most confidence since it’s my first china build.

Build.
918 in medium, I had planned on painting but the finish is so nice I’ve left for now and will paint maybe in winter. Rockshox monarch rear shock midtune.
Wheels- light carbon 30mm xc rims graphine with dtswiss 350hubs
I opted for the xc bar/stem in 70mm for the internal cable routing
Light carbon zero offset seat post
Sid select 120mm 44mm offset
Full XT groupset and brakes, I opted to wax the chain as it’s great on my training bike though it’s the first time on a MTB in the uk so we shall see. Also my only bugbear with the build is I had to buy yet another bb tool as XT is yet another standard…..why?!!!!

No issues with the build itself, frame and components all went together perfectly I did have a spacer missing (I got two external routing kits) from LC but in fairness Jim Lee sorted so it didn’t hold the build up as the wheels were due a week or so after the frame anyway, bb alignment was fine and I didn’t need to chase out threads. Seat post and frame figment seems spot on. I was worried about the headset into bar routing being a nightmare, yes it was more of a pain than external but I think it’s worth it based looks etc and as a bonus you have no issues with cables pulling that others have mentioned. I did opt to add the silicone cable housing to stop rattles.

Build without pedals but with Fidlock bottle cages and comp mount etc came to 10.5kg on a set of calibrated scales from work. Very pleased, I did weigh the frame before build and it was 1.9kg so right on the light carbon spec. Really impressed as there’s plenty of savings available if you went weight weenie with deep pockets for sub 10kg.

First ride was a 40km local xc/trail ride around 800m climbing, bit of everything really, with 18kph average with afew stops.

Ride was abit of a surprise actually, first time for me on flex stays and I was expecting a slightly harsh ride, the suspension is actually quite active not intrusive or enough to notice but it actually deals with the little stuff well, I don’t like faffing with lock out is why I didn’t bother with RL. Climbing wise the bike is good based on Strava times but feel wise it felt similar to my old xc bike but it was definitely faster for the effort on times, where it really shines is out of the saddle, the thing really leaps forward, I will definitely spend more time out of the saddle as it’s addictively fast. Hard to know whether this is down to the wheels or frame but again based purely on both feel very stiff.

Handling and descending was the main shock, I’m coming from old school 130mm xc marathon bike with steep angles for reference but I would describe the handling as “stable”, it will be very confidence inspiring I think once I’m used to it but you definitely need to move about and think about weight distribution more on fast flowing single track but it is rapid when you get it right, some of that maybe down to the 44mm offset forks but the Sids forks are brilliant, super stiff and bendy forks are a massive bug bear for me. My biggest take away is the bike fast smooth and absolutely silent, the second is important to me but I guess maybe not for everyone.

First ride wasn’t without incident and things to work on to add some realism.
I did have a couple of seatpost slips, even with carbon paste, nothing drastic but enough that I stopped to put back, the specs don’t specify the nm of the bolt so I started off on the low side 3nm and have gone up to around 5nm.
Front fork is too hard so going to adjust that down, I’m on 20%sag but it feels too hard.
Using Vitoria mezcals front and rear, front tyres again too hard. I previously rode Conti race kings and the Vitorias are so much better in my opinion but the side walls feel stiffer so I can run lower pressures.
Biggest problem was the comp mount only has one fixing and it came loose twice, rrd two the mount actually fell off, luckily no harm done other than a screen protector doing it’s job but I think a healthy dose of thread-lock.
Bottle boss for 2nd bottle is perfect for my purpose but it’s only suitable for a 500ml in a medium. Main frame could definitely go 800ml.
I didn’t opt for a dropper as I have used and fitted on the old bike but never felt the need really, but if your building this bike i would suggest it’s probably a must, I’m confident/stupid enough to be behind the saddle but you have to be in a precarious position without the dropper for whatever reason with angles on this frame.
Bar/stem is very very stiff which isn’t
a bad thing as such but if your sensitive to vibration it’s not for you, I use soft silicone xc grips but still got alittle of the buzz at the bars, hoping fork/tyre combo tweaks can help. Also the internal routing is perfect for one hose but is a little tight at the bar opening so I am interested to see how easy the cable routing will be if I opt for a dropper. Maybe a good excuse for an axs if I can ever justify the cost.
Rear shock is standard mid tune, I think I will end up re-valving to high compression as to sit on the 20% I’m a over 200psi and I’m not exactly a big guy. Nothing wrong with that but I prefer to run lower pressure.

Thanks for your thorough info. Did you get the XC14 integrated bar? What's your opinion on the neg. stem angle or is this compensated by spacers and rise-angle?
Considering the integrated cable routing; when steering, does the slack cable go in and out the frame through the headset opening?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 12:56:04 PM by ChristEr »

ChristEr

« Reply #134 on: March 29, 2024, 05:05:00 AM »
….
I am looking for a rear shock and I see that the 918 has a mount 165*38mm. Otherwise, I see many options in 165*37.5mm, but I am not sure if this measurement would fit the frame. I have already got a reba rl 120mm.
….

I ordered the frame as well. I think 165*37.5 mm metric options will work as well. The eye to eye length is the same. It only give you 0.5 mm less travel which is around 1% of total travel less compared to 38mm and will not be a noticeable difference.
Or am I missing something?