Author Topic: Short Cranks 155/160 Supplier  (Read 1335 times)

eeney

Short Cranks 155/160 Supplier
« on: August 15, 2022, 05:01:51 PM »
I'm looking for 155/160mm cranks to try on my road bike.

Any Chinese brands doing these?  I see lots of 165mm, but no smaller on Alibaba and Aliexpress.

St0mpB0x

Re: Short Cranks 155/160 Supplier
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2022, 01:33:48 AM »
Check through these guys catalog and send them and email: https://www.driveline.com.tw/

I have a set of the Zele-A12X-OS which are great value if you want to try shorter cranks. Would reccomend the 24mm version even though its heavier as fitting the 30mm version to a bike accurately is trickier.

zxcvbnmjm

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2022, 11:17:05 PM »
Check through these guys catalog and send them and email: https://www.driveline.com.tw/

I have a set of the Zele-A12X-OS which are great value if you want to try shorter cranks. Would reccomend the 24mm version even though its heavier as fitting the 30mm version to a bike accurately is trickier.

those look good! how much did they cost you?

StiffWeenies

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2022, 12:25:04 PM »
I'm looking for 155/160mm cranks to try on my road bike.

Any Chinese brands doing these?  I see lots of 165mm, but no smaller on Alibaba and Aliexpress.

They have them but I think you'll have to ask the sellers directly if they can arrange a set for you. For example here are some short Jiankun cranks that have been marked up to oblivion

eeney

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2022, 02:25:11 PM »
those look good! how much did they cost you?

Thanks, I'll take a look at these - weight isn't an issue as they'll be on an indoor trainer bike.

I also contacted Xcadey who do 160mm power cranks.  They said that they are going to sell non-power cranks and their website will be updated soon, so lets hope they also do short cranks.

StiffWeenies - I'll also check those out and contact more suppliers. Thanks!

eeney

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2022, 10:42:58 PM »
I have a set of the Zele-A12X-OS which are great value if you want to try shorter cranks. ......

I got this crank, great how you can change to try different lengths.

One question/problem.  My Zele crank keeps coming loose. The fixing bolt that goes in to the non-drive side keep coming loose.  There was a washer in the bag with the fixing bolt but this is too small to go ver the fixing bolt.  I'm confused to where the washer goes and how tight to fix the fixing bolt.....I've only ever fit Shimano or square taper cranks.

St0mpB0x

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2022, 02:42:56 AM »
Do you have the 24mm axle version or the 30mm axle version? I have both and I can't remember or find this washer you speak of.

eeney

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2022, 05:14:35 PM »
I have the 24mm spindle version.

There weren't any instructions in the box. I fitted the cranks and tightened the locking bolt to 20nm.  When tightened the cranks don't seem to spin that freely., They spin OK but just less so as I tighten the locking bolt. If I don't tighten the locking bolt this way then the cranks work loose.

I'm assuming everything is okay,  I just feel I've missed something due to how they don't spin super freely when tightened.

Otherwise great cranks, useful to be able to test different cranks lengths.

St0mpB0x

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2022, 04:13:55 PM »
My 24mm set has 2 pinch bolts labeled 8-10nm on the NDS. I'd tighten the main bolt affixing it to the axle to the right bearing preload and then tighten the pinch bolts like a shimano crank.

If your 24mm set is like my 30mm set and has no pinch bolts then things are trickier. I initially tried to use a wave washer to preload the bearings but there wasn't enough spare space on my setup. Instead I made some spacers which I progressively sanded down so I could adequately tighten the main bolt without too much preload on the bearings. It was quite a lot of faffing and definitely the biggest downside of these cranks.

JJx

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2022, 11:27:55 PM »
I got these cruzbike 155mm cranks on my MTB, and they have held up quite well to singlespeeding where I put down a fair bit of torque.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMhWVpK
Though they are actually hollowtech 2 as opposed to gxp as advertised. Cruzbike also also had some road options but I have no experience with them.