Author Topic: Frame painters of Chinertown! How would you go about achieving this finish??  (Read 3090 times)

s3si1u

Hey everyone,

Happy Monday  ;D
I'm sitting here at my desk on my lunch break, eating some yummy bibimbap and browsing AliX for stuff I don't need and came across the frame you see in the photo below.
Now, the frame is just an SL7 copy and not what interests me. What really caught my eye is that paint job...gloss red fade to matte black. Wow. How?? I can't stop looking at it and would love to replicate something similar on one of my frames, but with a different gloss color.
How would y'all achieve this finish? What comes to my mind is a matte black base then the red done with a single stage gloss paint and faded carefully...surely there's more to this kind of two tone job. How would y'all go about it?

Instagram: @aerosloth

Queen of Skulls

Looks like a glossy fade into a satin or matte paint. I would assume paint the glossy frist. and then the matte/satin. But maybe its the  other way around. 
Off with your Head tubes...

If the girls dont find you pretty they should at least find you handy...

[color #FE0000]P[/color][color #FDA601]R[/color][color #FFFF01]I[/color][color #008000]D[/color][color #1614E4]E[/color][color #80007E]!!!![/color]

s3si1u

Looks like a glossy fade into a satin or matte paint. I would assume paint the glossy frist. and then the matte/satin. But maybe its the  other way around.

I think you're right. The more I look at it, the more it looks like the glossy red is the base coat and the matte black was laid on top. My 177 is due for a repaint soon because I used a cheap clear coat the first time around  ;D I might just give something like this a shot
Instagram: @aerosloth

Queen of Skulls

I would watch a ton of painting videos frist. just to make sure you know what's up. and maybe you can find the fade that you like.
Off with your Head tubes...

If the girls dont find you pretty they should at least find you handy...

[color #FE0000]P[/color][color #FDA601]R[/color][color #FFFF01]I[/color][color #008000]D[/color][color #1614E4]E[/color][color #80007E]!!!![/color]

Serge_K

ETOE on youtube made a video about that very topic, from what i remember (mixing gloss & matte), fade either in the same of a different video for sure.
I think i remember him saying mixing gloss and matte is boss level, in terms of difficulty.
Whenever i look at all the steps involved in painting, I get headaches. Good luck and post your results!

NoGrip61

I would also do the red base and gloss clear first (possibly masking the lower half, or just stop covering with paint).  Then mask about 6"/160mm above where you want to transition (over gloss), do the matte black fade (up to about half way between mask and transition points), followed by a matte clear on top (also optional, but recommended).  You can then wet sand the transition area for clear coat overspray.  I haven't used matte clear yet, but apparently if you wet sand it as fine as a clear coat, it'll become clear. 

I think i remember him saying mixing gloss and matte is boss level, in terms of difficulty.
It is, but not as bad as pinstriping... or doing what old shovel (YT'er) does and do multiple colors of paint with levels of masking.

EDIT: didn't see the date...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 12:54:19 PM by NoGrip61 »

00Garza

How would I achieve this? Pretty easily actually. I'd take it to an auto paint shop and pay them!  ;D