Author Topic: Brake Cables for Hybrid Disc brakes for internal routing  (Read 1745 times)

ancientone

Brake Cables for Hybrid Disc brakes for internal routing
« on: September 04, 2022, 03:52:12 AM »
Trying to get some feedbacks from guys here. I'm using ZRACE BR-005 and running cables internally, looking for something that will give me more braking power, and some youtube comments suggest going with Jag Pro Elite cables, seems to be somewhat on the expensive side. Anybody has suggestions for good Aliexpress brake cores (internal cables) that is smooth and cheap or at least not too expensive. Don't need brand names.

1Sigma

Re: Brake Cables for Hybrid Disc brakes for internal routing
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 05:32:45 AM »
Trying to get some feedbacks from guys here. I'm using ZRACE BR-005 and running cables internally, looking for something that will give me more braking power, and some youtube comments suggest going with Jag Pro Elite cables, seems to be somewhat on the expensive side. Anybody has suggestions for good Aliexpress brake cores (internal cables) that is smooth and cheap or at least not too expensive. Don't need brand names.

I am interested in the answer to this as well. I have searched high and low for good, compressionless, Chinese brake housing but to know avail.

I ended up settling for the Jagwire KEB-SL.  I suspect you might as well.
Although there is a store on AliX that sells a 10m length of KEB-SL for a reasonable discount.

I haven’t tried myself, but from all accounts, running regular brake housing internally to hybrid calipers will give you spongy braking.
Better than average - Extra Average

carbonazza

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2022, 06:49:03 AM »
What headset/stem system did you use?
I tried the Jagwire housing and there was too much friction inside the stem, to get JuinTech brakes to open back, after braking.
I tried the FSA ACR and the Deda superbox.
I finally ordered a Ritchey top headset with holes to pass the cable in front of the fork steerer, it should arrive this week.

Irideslowly

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2022, 06:53:53 AM »
Please let us know how this goes. I am tired of not having correctly fitted one piece bar and stem.

ancientone

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2022, 11:23:12 AM »
I am interested in the answer to this as well. I have searched high and low for good, compressionless, Chinese brake housing but to know avail.

I ended up settling for the Jagwire KEB-SL.  I suspect you might as well.
Although there is a store on AliX that sells a 10m length of KEB-SL for a reasonable discount.

I haven’t tried myself, but from all accounts, running regular brake housing internally to hybrid calipers will give you spongy braking.

I'm not looking for a brake housing, I'm looking for the cable Core, i.e. the steel cable. I've already bought the lightweight compressionless housing.. 

I'm running internal cabling on a Trifox X16 , but it brakes OK although I don't find the cable smooth. I realized some brake cable "cores" are thicker and stiffer than others, so hopefully find something a bit smoother for my next build.

ancientone

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2022, 11:37:51 AM »
What headset/stem system did you use?
I tried the Jagwire housing and there was too much friction inside the stem, to get JuinTech brakes to open back, after braking.
I tried the FSA ACR and the Deda superbox.
I finally ordered a Ritchey top headset with holes to pass the cable in front of the fork steerer, it should arrive this week.

Current using this "OG-EVKIN HB-1300 Carbon Road Integrated Handlebar OD2 28.6/31.8mm " . It's really easy to cable and I really like it. Would be changing though as I found that the 100mm is too long for me, and I want to get a 70mm or 80mm but seems like the shortest for HB-1300 is 90mm.

olajosgatya

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2022, 12:21:20 PM »
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000389861445.html

I bought these red coated steel brake cables for a new neo retro rim brake build I am planning to do. I did not have the chance to try them out yet as I need to take the frame and fork to the LBS for some minor repair.

I tried to justify why I need the golden one but I could not because it was just too expensive. This red one cost the same as the bog standard ones I could buy from wiggle and the other webshops. So I thought why not.

ChrisB

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2022, 08:02:12 AM »
I also ended up with the expensive Jagwire cable housing and inner cables. Was fed up with experiments… My bikes are not routed internally so no issues with tight bends.

The big transformation in break power and feel came after changing the breakpads. The original ones that come with the BR-005 are useless. The break power is limited and they are wearing down fast with a lot of break dust, so I changed after 1000km… Now I use these from Ali:
BP944-RS805 (Cooma Ex-Plus)
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtoRDvQ

The original pads on the left the new ones on the right:

So far I have 500km on the new Pads and it is a big improvement.

BR Chris
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 08:25:07 AM by ChrisB »

ancientone

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2022, 10:49:48 AM »
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000389861445.html

I bought these red coated steel brake cables for a new neo retro rim brake build I am planning to do. I did not have the chance to try them out yet as I need to take the frame and fork to the LBS for some minor repair.

I tried to justify why I need the golden one but I could not because it was just too expensive. This red one cost the same as the bog standard ones I could buy from wiggle and the other webshops. So I thought why not.

Ha ha, I went through the same "internal discussion" and also considering the red coated, just not sure if it's worth it. Actually was tempted to get a pair of Titanium brake cables (not titanium coated) but  hell expensive...

ancientone

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2022, 10:53:43 AM »
I also ended up with the expensive Jagwire cable housing and inner cables. Was fed up with experiments… My bikes are not routed internally so no issues with tight bends.

The big transformation in break power and feel came after changing the breakpads. The original ones that come with the BR-005 are useless. The break power is limited and they are wearing down fast with a lot of break dust, so I changed after 1000km… Now I use these from Ali:
BP944-RS805 (Cooma Ex-Plus)
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtoRDvQ

The original pads on the left the new ones on the right:

So far I have 500km on the new Pads and it is a big improvement.

BR Chris

Is that BP944CF-RS805 ? I need to get a new pair. Joke was I was trying to ceramic coat my frame, and I think some of that leak onto the brakepads. LOL.. So not exactly braking now no matter how hard I press.

The original brake pads squeak very loudly when I brake and it "ate" into the disc rotor (Ultegra), so I'm kind of pissed.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 11:15:55 AM by ancientone »

zxcvbnmjm

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2022, 11:32:38 PM »
im currently running jagwire sport inner cables and i was previously using jagwire pro. cant feel any difference in stopping power and the weight difference is negligable. Im also running ables fully internally with an intergrated stem and juin tech brakes. i havent tried the jagwire elite cables but i cant imagine they would be that much better.. i would personally recommend jagwire sport if you want decent performance and to keep costs low

as for housing, i was also previously using KEB-SL compressionless housing and i recently switched to legion SP housing. the price was almost the same and the i also cant really feel much difference in stopping power. maybe the legion SP is slightly better? or it might just be my imagination... lol. but the legion SP is lighter for both brake cables and gear cables. i think i saved about 30-40g?

i also used to use coated inner cables on another bike a long time ago but i found that the coating rubs off and gets stuck in the housing which increases resistance. i read online that other people have had similar experiences so i have decided to stay away from those

BalticSea

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2022, 12:30:05 AM »
I was wondering if something like pure silicone lube (without petrol) would work to make the regular cables work smoother?

carbonazza

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2022, 03:12:01 AM »
I was wondering if something like pure silicone lube (without petrol) would work to make the regular cables work smoother?
Maybe dust will get mixed in there over time, build up and clog the hose.
Rubbing it with paraffin or add some graphite powder might be better.
Personally I would keep them dry.

ancientone

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2022, 04:22:24 AM »

I had a brake cable that wasn't moving smoothly, and I did tried Teflon chain lube.. Seems ok after that.

olajosgatya

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2022, 07:09:45 AM »
I was also wondering if lubing the cable would be a noticeable improvement. I have not done it in the past. And as I was browsing AliX i found these prelubed cable guides with some dust caps: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001046329415.html

I do not know how useful the dust caps are but their description was just too good to not to try them.  :D
(It was just funny to read how many iterations they had before finding the right structure for the end caps.)

The frame has full outer cabling so my plan is to run the cables in these prelubed guides through the full length of the bike with these dust caps at end. My expectation is that dust will not really get into the system with these steps. Time will tell.