Author Topic: Spider mounted power meter advice  (Read 6672 times)

dsveddy

Re: Spider mounted power meter advice
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2023, 09:30:43 AM »
Interested to hear your experience with the QED P325...

Sorry my bad, had the wrong link... however including RX crankset it is maybe 25 US$ more expensive.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001268930419.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004272116963.html

BR Chris

Sorry for the late reply. My experience has been mixed. I like the crank and power meter themselves. Very light and stiff. Huge selling point for me was the 167.5mm length option since I run a very forward and hip-closed position. 170mm seemed just a tad long, 165 seemed way too short. 167.5 feels just right, although I'm not a bike fitter so I can't really speak much to if it's actually optimal for me.

What I don't like is the chainring. I get the sense that mine is out of true, making derailleur adjustment VERY sensitive. It doesn't resist bending much either, giving me the impression that it's susceptible to bending from minor side impacts. It uses a mountain-bike shimano direct-mount standard which means there really aren't any replacement options, and Magene doesn't even sell replacements. Fit tolerance is a bit sloppy for my taste, even though the lockring should be providing all the support force. All in all I hope replacements become available in the future, because I'd like to replace them one day.

Sebastian

« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2023, 01:31:21 AM »
Here’s my Magene P505 setup. I’ve done around 200k so far.
I can confirm that the power readings are basically identical with my Favero Assiomas. So I trust the unit. Initial concerns that it was over reading were unfounded. Turns out that gravel riding is just harder than road.  :)
Never had a PM on my gravel bike before, so I was surprised.
Only criticism I have to voice is that the fit on the crank spider interface was rather loose compared to the SRAM spider I took off. I hope this won’t cause problems in the long run but so far everything is silent.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 01:34:13 AM by Sebastian »

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2023, 05:00:21 AM »
I have been riding with my Sigeyi AXO for a couple of months now and can't say anything bad about them...  :)

eeney

« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2023, 02:50:04 PM »
I'm looking for a 165mm lightweight crank with power meter, with or without chainring on a budget of $350 USD - it's going to be 40T 1x but I can reuse my current or buy a chainring separately. I'd prefer a spider PM, I think.

I was down to Magene, Sigeyi and Xcadey Xpower.  Seems the Sigeyi is out because they don't have stock of 165mm cranks. Then between the Magene and Xcadey, the Xcadey seems to be 100g lighter. So at the moment I'm heading towards the Xcadey. With a lightweight chainring I might be able to get the Xcadey t0 ~600g, that's IF the crankset matches the claimed weight.

Note that I'm only 65kg and can't put out a lot of power (250 FTP). I also have other PMs to calibrate against if I need to test and adjust the power +/-. Mostly riding in dry conditions.

Any thoughts, do you think the Xcadey is a safe lightweight bet?

nickobec

« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2023, 07:47:31 AM »
Sigeyi is the best Chinese power meter brand but don't get the Zrace/Sigeyi crankset, the arms have a design flaw where they rub against the spider eventually wearing through and allowing moisture to seep in.

Paid for a Magene P505 + crankset from Zrace Official Store in recent summer sale. was told last week could not provide Magene P505 and offered the Sigeyi as a no cost to me replacement. I accepted the offer, hoping the "new" crankset does not have the design flaw and if not I have a couple of other cranksets.

Question is how to check if the new" crankset does not have the design flaw?

nickobec

« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2023, 03:06:13 AM »
Question is how to check if the new" crankset does not have the design flaw?
Went straight to the source and asked Sigeyi about their PM and Zrace cranks
The Zrace RX crank arm has a large locking interface platform. The two red circle sections will touch with the front cover of the AXO power meter.
It may damage the sealing of the cover after a long-time usage.

a2lacrosse

« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2023, 07:44:03 AM »
Looks like Xcadey is now selling a generation 2 spider (on panda podium and aliexpress) for $250. Anyone try these yet?

eeney

« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2023, 07:56:00 PM »
Looks like Xcadey is now selling a generation 2 spider (on panda podium and aliexpress) for $250. Anyone try these yet?

Intersting, do you know what is different with Gen2? The specs look identical.

Funny, I have just ordered an Xcadey crank, not realising a Gen2 was about to drop. Hope I didn't miss out on any significant upgrades to the product.