Author Topic: 27.5 fat bike rims - carbon or alloy  (Read 622 times)

FullCarbonAlchemist

27.5 fat bike rims - carbon or alloy
« on: September 18, 2022, 02:08:21 AM »
I want to change my fat bike to 27.5 for this winter and just need to select some rims.

So far I’ve had a surprising amount of trouble finding good options…many are sold as compete wheels with terrible cheap hubs that won’t last a month under snow riding torque.

These are basically all I’ve found for carbon, $329/rim plus $50 shipping:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EQ167DV

Most of the other options are SunRingle Mulefuts that I don’t particularly want; closed rims are a much better tubeless solution for intense riding in deep cold than ones with cutouts. I’m open to alloy on paper but most alloy fat bike rims have cutouts. And don’t even get me started on HED fat bike rims that I’d probably break in a few weeks. They’re designed for very light, very gentle riders and I am neither.

PeterXu

Re: 27.5 fat bike rims - carbon or alloy
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2022, 02:35:39 AM »
I want to change my fat bike to 27.5 for this winter and just need to select some rims.

So far I’ve had a surprising amount of trouble finding good options…many are sold as compete wheels with terrible cheap hubs that won’t last a month under snow riding torque.

These are basically all I’ve found for carbon, $329/rim plus $50 shipping:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EQ167DV

Most of the other options are SunRingle Mulefuts that I don’t particularly want; closed rims are a much better tubeless solution for intense riding in deep cold than ones with cutouts. I’m open to alloy on paper but most alloy fat bike rims have cutouts. And don’t even get me started on HED fat bike rims that I’d probably break in a few weeks. They’re designed for very light, very gentle riders and I am neither.

Hi there,

We have 27.5x80mm rim as attached available, and we can build the rims with DT 350S big ride hubs, Sapim CX-Ray spokes as what they look in the pictures

https://www.facebook.com/1000561433300675/posts/pfbid0NPryWqct3n7iyKeqM8km6rrQvkYwS7Psy9qtZFd2yuBLJZtDK5u4HFB8EemseChhl/?app=fbl
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 02:37:53 AM by PeterXu »

Flying Trunk Monkey

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2022, 07:07:24 PM »
Nextie has a couple of double wall options. Be sure to haggle with them for a 20% discount.

Are people really running 27.5 rims with big (even by fat bike standards) tires in the snow?

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 02:52:29 AM »
Nextie has a couple of double wall options. Be sure to haggle with them for a 20% discount.

Are people really running 27.5 rims with big (even by fat bike standards) tires in the snow?

Absolutely. As grooming has improved in certain hotspots here in Maine (Gorham, Bradbury state park, York Hill Farms, Carrabassett Valley), the trend has moved away from the tankiest possible setup with super wide 26” rims and 5” tires with super deep paddle treads such as the Surly Lou…evolving toward 27.5” wheels with 4.5” tires and better rolling tread.

It’s a lot like the difference between 27.5 and 29 MTBs…you find that less rim and tire/tread will get the job done with bigger wheels. Even where floatation matters, though good grooming greatly reduces the need for that. A more summer-like fat bike is the best way to experience good grooming conditions.

Also, running slightly narrower tires means I can finally stop running 190mm crank axles. Those are really brutal on the knees. I’m looking forward to my first year on a 170 crank axle and 27.5 fat wheels. I think I’ll be able to do more miles — even if I ride less in bad conditions without the ability to act as my own groomer like I do sometimes with 5” tires — and take less of a beating.

Ambitious fat biking in snow can really take its toll on anyone’s body and I’m a disabled rider with severe arthritis among other things…
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 03:00:23 AM by FullCarbonAlchemist »

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2022, 02:57:55 AM »

I wouldn’t totally rule out Nextie but their deep V-section profile has never been my favorite.

I’ll live with a shallow V-section but my current rims are nearly flat and I’ve preferred how that looks over Nextie wheelsets I’ve seen. Functionally I’m not sure there would be much difference except the deep section rims might be a little stronger/stiffer.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 03:01:25 AM by FullCarbonAlchemist »

Flying Trunk Monkey

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2022, 05:05:15 AM »
Thanks for the insight. I'd really like the opportunity to spend some time on a fatty in the snow (I live in Kansas). I'm currently collecting parts for the fat wheels for my Otso Voytek. I don't have much actual use for a fat bike but I like building my own stuff and I'd like to be prepared for snow if I ever get the chance. I'm pretty much committed to getting a pair of 26x4 or 4.4 Jumbo Jims as they'll likely be a good choice for what they'll actually be used for. I'll just have to make the most of them if they ever see snow. I went with the 26x65mm carbon rims from Ligjt Bicycle. After shopping around I found they were by far the best bang for the buck, especially on sale.

In the meantime, the Voytek makes a great hardtail on 27.5x2.8" tires. I also have plans to build a set of 29" XC wheels for it. Using DT swiss hubs cassette changes are quick and toolless.

Absolutely. As grooming has improved in certain hotspots here in Maine (Gorham, Bradbury state park, York Hill Farms, Carrabassett Valley), the trend has moved away from the tankiest possible setup with super wide 26” wheels and 5” tires with super deep paddle treads such as the Surly Lou…evolving toward 27.5” wheels with 4.5” tires and better rolling tread.

It’s a lot like the difference between 27.5 and 29 MTBs…you find that less rim and tire/tread will get the job done with bigger wheels. Even where floatation matters, though good grooming greatly reduces the need for that. A more summer-like fat bike is the best way to experience good grooming conditions.

Also, running slightly narrower tires means I can finally stop running 190mm crank axles. Those are really brutal on the knees. I’m looking forward to my first year on a 170 crank axle and 27.5 fat wheels. I think I’ll be able to do more miles — even if I ride less in bad conditions without the ability to act as my own groomer like I do sometimes with 5” tires — and take less of a beating.

Ambitious fat biking in snow can really take its toll on anyone’s body and I’m a disabled rider with severe arthritis among other things…