Author Topic: My experience with the Ztto Xd 11 Speed Cassette 9-42T  (Read 1685 times)

TidyDinosaur

My experience with the Ztto Xd 11 Speed Cassette 9-42T
« on: October 11, 2022, 11:49:44 AM »
In summary: Do not buy it...

I got the first one when I built up my gravelbike about a year ago. After 1000 km chain and cassette were worn so bad I had to replace both...

I then got 2 new cassettes (the same ZTTO ones) for both my wheel sets, thinking it was my fault for not checking the chain sooner... I also started with 3 new chains that I wax and rotate every couple 100 km. I only used one cassette that I switched between wheelsets.

So after about 2000km the cassette is not worn yet, but is starting to make a lot of noise. Really loud creaking. Took me a lot of time before I found out it was the cassette. After reading the reviews on Ali I do not seem to be the only one... (but most of the reviews are very positive because when the cassette starts creaking you can't leave a review anymore). The problem are the rivets that hold the cassette together come loose and there is play in the cassette and this starts to make a lot of noise.

I had the other new ZTTO cassette laying around so I put that one on with a new chain, hoping I would be released from the noise for at least some time... But the first ride this cassette also started to make a really loud noise every pedal stroke. It really drove me crazy. I have since ordered a SRAM 10-42 cassette, but in the meantime I applied a lot of oil to the cassette and the previous 2 rides it has been silent. But it will only be a matter of time...

When this cassette starts to make noise I will bin all the ZTTO cassettes, mount the SRAM cassette and never look back...

Financial analysis: 3 ZTTO cassettes at 45€ each vs SRAM cassette at 85€ is not really a lot of savings...  :-\

mrdawson

Re: My experience with the Ztto Xd 11 Speed Cassette 9-42T
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2022, 01:34:47 PM »
pictures of these particular cassettes?

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2022, 06:23:15 AM »
pictures of these particular cassettes?

Do you mean pictures of my cassettes specifically or this type of cassette ?

mrdawson

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2022, 10:18:26 AM »
both sure

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2022, 08:32:24 PM »
My Sunshine 11-34 cassette did the same, but it wasn't 3 rivets that got loose but 3 hex bolts that I noticed were all loose after ~1000km. I torqued them pretty tight and now it's much better. If it's rivets going loose I'm not sure there's anything you can do about it sadly :(

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2022, 04:32:00 AM »
My Sunshine 11-34 cassette did the same, but it wasn't 3 rivets that got loose but 3 hex bolts that I noticed were all loose after ~1000km. I torqued them pretty tight and now it's much better. If it's rivets going loose I'm not sure there's anything you can do about it sadly :(

No, nothing you can do. One got so loose, I could just take it out... I stopped using the cassette, but a lifetime of only 2000-3000 km is not what I was expecting. It's not only the cost of the cassette, but also the 3 chains I have in rotation... So in the end you get 1x45€ + 3x 20 € = 105 € wasted  >:(

The new cassette is still quiet. I guess it is because I put a lot of oil on it where parts can possibly rub...
But since I wax my chain with paraffin I would rather not use oil on my drive train...

numberzero

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2022, 12:49:21 PM »
Same experience for me, I tried a ZTTO SLR2 11speed cassette because price was low and this cassette is light for a 11-46.

No surprise that shifting is not good as shimano or sram, even slx cassette are far better.

After 1000km i changed for a new chain and was unable to run because of skipping on 3 sprockets... even a used chain (100-200km) was not running.

A friend bought a cassette for road but never used it because shifting was too bad so for me now i'll stop buying "ali" cassettes, it's money wasting.

hazzer19

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2022, 01:11:58 PM »
What is everyone's recommendation for the best AliX 11sp up to 42T cassette?

mrdawson

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2022, 02:09:38 PM »
see my other post... the 1st gen ones (no back backing plate) seem to be garbage...
the gen 2 from sroad and others (black backing plate) seem to be good.

ChrisB

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2022, 01:50:57 PM »
Same experience for me, I tried a ZTTO SLR2 11speed cassette because price was low and this cassette is light for a 11-46.

No surprise that shifting is not good as shimano or sram, even slx cassette are far better.

After 1000km i changed for a new chain and was unable to run because of skipping on 3 sprockets... even a used chain (100-200km) was not running.

A friend bought a cassette for road but never used it because shifting was too bad so for me now i'll stop buying "ali" cassettes, it's money wasting.

I am using this ZTTO 11-46 cassette on my Gravel bike with mechanical GRX without issues for over 2000km now…
I needed to readjust twice in the beginning to get smooth shifting but now it runs perfect.
So YMMV.

BR Chris

mrdawson

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2022, 02:03:24 PM »
I am using this ZTTO 11-46 cassette on my Gravel bike with mechanical GRX without issues for over 2000km now…
I needed to readjust twice in the beginning to get smooth shifting but now it runs perfect.
So YMMV.

BR Chris
the ones that are just same color throughout, or the ones with the black backing plate... is big difference in construction / quality apparently

ChrisB

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2022, 03:14:42 PM »
the ones that are just same color throughout, or the ones with the black backing plate... is big difference in construction / quality apparently

One color only, aluminium for the big cogs and steel for the smaller ones.

BR Chris

sguiom

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2022, 01:05:09 AM »
My experience with the same cassette: the rivets broke while sprinting, resulting in me having to came back by feet. Bad design, period.

Zomb1e

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2022, 05:39:00 AM »
Probably this one: https://aliexpress.com/item/4000902209540.html
Haven't ridden exactly this one, but my 12 speed 10-50T Sroad cassette after the whole season seems to work fine with no noticeable wear.

kbike

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2022, 06:29:12 AM »
I tried to purchase a cassette and chain from onirii.  Their listing shows both but they only want to send the cassette.  I'm not happy that they have a shady listing. The pricing reflects buying both. The listing show a cassette abd says "choose one of four" type of chains.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mt9hsWM