Author Topic: Interesting Aliexpress finds! - good deals, interesting stuff, new products etc!  (Read 134260 times)

sbellote

Any experience buying shimano spd-sl pedals from Ali? I’m thinking about buying this Ultegra level pedals and the reviews seem promising. Locally they’re about $220 usd so this would be quite the bargain.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPiuLsK
I've got the Ultegra from the same store, but this link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005173524508.html
Been ~1.500km by now and all is good, not any issue with it, but it's too soon. The finishing is rough so that got me concerned, I've seen plenty of 'fake vs original' videos for these pedals but honestly couldn't come to a conclusion, all seemed ok but it's really the finishing and little details that have something off about it, but it could be just a different Shimano factory, for example

in the end, what I can say by now, is that they're working well. Since here in Brazil I can only get Ultegras (original from distributor) by 4-5x the price, I figured it was worth the gamble.

My previous pedals were R550 which were bought from local store but, at the price I've paid, for sure it was just reselling from Aliexpress. And those I'm pretty sure were just really good counterfeits, at 25.000km they were done (the axis and ball bearing started to present issues I couldn't solve)
Still, it was a good run for the price I've paid at the time, so not really mad about it

but, depending where you are, better to just go with Merlin's option like our friend above shared, at least it's guaranteed it's original

coffeebreak

I am on the fence, the frame I would like to build is not even available yet in L, SP cycle say september, I wonder if I am better off following your lead and wait for 11/11. I have $500 worth of stuff in the cart, mays be smarter to wait...

The coupons can be used in split purchases to max out savings - especially if you have many small items totaling to a large-ish sum.

E.g. I did this - $270 worth of stuff minus $20 minus $40 (code US40). Second purchase of $82 minus $10 minus $8 (code US8OFF). You can do one more purchase of $120+ then get $20 off, and then use code US20 to take further $20 off. All in all, $128 can be saved. Of course this only works if you can split purchases and not for a biggie like $700 groupset.

wwnero

I've got the Ultegra from the same store, but this link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005173524508.html
Been ~1.500km by now and all is good, not any issue with it, but it's too soon. The finishing is rough so that got me concerned, I've seen plenty of 'fake vs original' videos for these pedals but honestly couldn't come to a conclusion, all seemed ok but it's really the finishing and little details that have something off about it, but it could be just a different Shimano factory, for example

in the end, what I can say by now, is that they're working well. Since here in Brazil I can only get Ultegras (original from distributor) by 4-5x the price, I figured it was worth the gamble.

My previous pedals were R550 which were bought from local store but, at the price I've paid, for sure it was just reselling from Aliexpress. And those I'm pretty sure were just really good counterfeits, at 25.000km they were done (the axis and ball bearing started to present issues I couldn't solve)
Still, it was a good run for the price I've paid at the time, so not really mad about it

but, depending where you are, better to just go with Merlin's option like our friend above shared, at least it's guaranteed it's original
$94 USD right now at Merlin and they ship a lot quicker.

https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/shimano-ultegra-r8000-spd-sl-road-pedals-102904.html

Merlin cycles price seems good. I’m in Canada so shipping adds a bit to it. Think I will look for a legit reseller outside of Ali and hopefully can get something for $100 usd or under total price

japjoe7

The coupons can be used in split purchases to max out savings - especially if you have many small items totaling to a large-ish sum.

E.g. I did this - $270 worth of stuff minus $20 minus $40 (code US40). Second purchase of $82 minus $10 minus $8 (code US8OFF). You can do one more purchase of $120+ then get $20 off, and then use code US20 to take further $20 off. All in all, $128 can be saved. Of course this only works if you can split purchases and not for a biggie like $700 groupset.

Thx for this, used the 8off code for my tire order. Pair of 29 Continental Race King for $53usd nice!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 07:05:32 AM by japjoe7 »

jonathanf2

What are the best bang-for-buck carbon disc wheels on AliExpress right now?

BalticSea

IMO, Elitewheel Edge. Not the cheapest, but they're 555€ shipped right now due to sales, which is insane value for 50mm wheels that weight less than 1400 grams.

jonathanf2

IMO, Elitewheel Edge. Not the cheapest, but they're 555€ shipped right now due to sales, which is insane value for 50mm wheels that weight less than 1400 grams.

Those wheels do look good. I'll probably have to wait for the next sale if I do buy those. I have the standard ENT wheels from Elite and they've been holding up just fine with no issues. I just wish they weighed a bit less.

maza

What country are you in? To a northern EU country it's 660€ currently.

BalticSea

What country are you in? To a northern EU country it's 660€ currently.

I'm from Lithuania. Keep in mind that once youngo to the checkout, VAT value is deducted from the price

kbernstein

Can't you get some decent wheelsets from china but not aliexpress at that price? I think it was lightcarbon who quoted me 450€ shipped for a 47mm rim with their inhouse hubs

WhityWhite

I believe that the elite edge wheels are decent wheels, only distributed via Aliexpress - as it is simply easier to distribute and thus costs are saved.

Elitewheels is a well-known manufacturer in Asia and equips UCI teams... The wheelsets on the website cost just under $1,200.

Reviews and videos about the manufacturer are almost entirely positive. I can't find anything explicit about the Edge, except for a few isolated statements... that's the only reason I haven't clicked on buy yet.

The price is so hot at the moment that I will probably order it this week.
With the BTS32 discount code and the current discount due to the promotion at Aliexpress, I'm currently paying $538.04 including tax and shipping via the SellersShipping method, which I'll pay with my credit card, and after conversion I'll end up with €495.57...

And that for 65 mm high rims with 21 mm jaw width with a set weight of 1495g ... unbelievable.

japjoe7

Can't you get some decent wheelsets from china but not aliexpress at that price? I think it was lightcarbon who quoted me 450€ shipped for a 47mm rim with their inhouse hubs

Curious...why not AliExpress?

kbernstein

Curious...why not AliExpress?
Nothing against aliexpress. Just saying it doesn't have a huge wheel selection. If you look at chinese websites that sell direct to consumer there are plenty of competitive offers and I get overwhelmed trying to compare them

Sebastian

I’m currently building a Velobuild VB099 for a friend. He chose LTWOO RX12 and Elite Wheels Edge.
I can confirm that these wheels are very nice indeed. Very light and absolutely true. I’m not a huge fan of the matte black. It looks cheaper than a nice UD finish, IMO. And I’m curious to see how well the in house hubs and the bearings hold up. But nevertheless these are very good value for money.