Author Topic: Won't be riding for a while.  (Read 26683 times)

cmh

Re: Won't be riding for a while.
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2015, 01:25:57 PM »
I've tried standing with equal weight on each leg (don't tell my wife) and the leg feels strong enough to begin walking so hopefully I get good news on Thursday.

Sounds like it's going great! Keep it up! :D

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2015, 06:01:50 PM »
Another update from todays Doctor's visit:

Today's X-rays looked good, my recovery is right on track.  Bones are 80% - 90% fused.  The PA said I can stop using the orthopedic boot, put on a regular shoe, and start walking on my right leg but still need the crutches until my leg gets stronger.  I went to PT today and we worked the leg, ankle, and foot pretty hard.  No jumping up and down, no running, but as much walking and bearing as much weight on my right foot as I can stand to do.  Hopefully in a few days I can be down to one crutch, then maybe a week or so no crutches at all.  These next few weeks will be the most difficult, and maybe the most painful part of my recovery.

Today was also a good day in that I got to drive for the first since Thanksgiving.  Wow, that's a long time not to drive a car.  Drove my wife's 5-spd CR-V with no problems, had plenty of strength to brake hard if I needed to.  Looking forward to driving my S2000 with the top down this weekend, temps are supposed to be nearing the mid 60's here in Atlanta.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 06:14:20 PM by Carbon_Dude »
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

cmh

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2015, 07:15:21 AM »
Looking forward to driving my S2000 with the top down this weekend, temps are supposed to be nearing the mid 60's here in Atlanta.

I don't like you anymore. ;)

13 now, was down in the single digits overnight.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2015, 05:24:26 PM »
Another update.  10 days after being allowed to bear weight on my right leg, I am now able to get around without any crutches.  The ankle and knee are getting stronger but there is considerable ache and swelling at the ankle joint.  However, the PA said there would be and to just keep walking on the leg as much as possible.

I have been able to get back to my office a few times rather than working from home as I have been during my recovery.  Nice to get out of the house and see my co-workers again.

Temps were nice yesterday, 58 degrees and sunny.  I've been driving my Honda S2000 more now that the leg has healed enough that I can use the brakes hard if I had too.  Even did a little four wheel drifting as I make a fast left turn the other day, this car is so much fun to drive.

The Atlanta weather is expected to take a turn for the worse for the next few days so I won't be driving much.  However, if the weather is nice again next weekend, I think I will be able to take my IP-036 for a spin around the neighborhood.  I was surprised the tires still are holding air after 9 weeks of not riding.  However, my rear tire on my IP-056 has gone flat, probably need to replenish the tire sealant and take it for a spin as well.  I purchased a set of platform pedals to make riding a little easier, clipless pedals and and stiff ankle probably are not a good combo.

In addition to my physical therapy two times a week, I've been going to the local fitness center and riding the stationary bike, doing leg lifts, knee curls, and ankle lifts on the machines.  All should help me recover faster.

My ankle has some nice looking scars on it, something fun to talk about when somebody asks me what happened.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 09:06:48 PM by Carbon_Dude »
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2015, 07:39:17 PM »
Good to hear your recovering quickly, CD. Sounds like this whole thing will be behind you in a couple months.. Sorry you had to go through it, but it always could've been way worse. And at least you've got the S2000 for a bit of "therapy"

Keep the updates coming!

Andy

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2015, 09:52:34 PM »
Good job on the therapy and all CD.  Can't believe it's already been 9 wks.  So glad you're soon to be back on the bike.  Thanks for all your input in the interim while you've been sidelined.  Look forward to more as you get back in the game!
Andy

andyfloyd

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2015, 06:45:26 PM »
Another update.  10 days after being allowed to bear weight on my right leg, I am now able to get around without any crutches.  The ankle and knee are getting stronger but there is considerable ache and swelling at the ankle joint.  However, the PA said there would be and to just keep walking on the leg as much as possible.

I have been able to get back to my office a few times rather than working from home as I have been during my recovery.  Nice to get out of the house and see my co-workers again.

Temps were nice yesterday, 58 degrees and sunny.  I've been driving my Honda S2000 more now that the leg has healed enough that I can use the brakes hard if I had too.  Even did a little four wheel drifting as I make a fast left turn the other day, this car is so much fun to drive.

The Atlanta weather is expected to take a turn for the worse for the next few days so I won't be driving much.  However, if the weather is nice again next weekend, I think I will be able to take my IP-036 for a spin around the neighborhood.  I was surprised the tires still are holding air after 9 weeks of not riding.  However, my rear tire on my IP-056 has gone flat, probably need to replenish the tire sealant and take it for a spin as well.  I purchased a set of platform pedals to make riding a little easier, clipless pedals and and stiff ankle probably are not a good combo.

In addition to my physical therapy two times a week, I've been going to the local fitness center and riding the stationary bike, doing leg lifts, knee curls, and ankle lifts on the machines.  All should help me recover faster.

My ankle has some nice looking scars on it, something fun to talk about when somebody asks me what happened.

Glad that youre doing better CD. So how about that S2000....AP1 or AP2? I used to have a 2003 Ap1 w/ a turbo kit that I fabbed up for it. Had a GT3076R on it, @ 21psi ( race gas ) on stock internals I made 501whp and 365 ft/lb. That car would lay black strips down even in 3rd gear when rolling into boost. Ahhhh....now my bikes are my toys as I have two kids and drive an effin Toyota Corolla. LOL

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2015, 07:15:11 PM »
I've owned this Spa Yellow Pearl S2000 since February of 2002, I had a 2001 but traded the car in (long story).  Absolutely the funnest car I've ever driven. Many runs up in the GA mountains, Tale of the Dragon, several track days, and an AutoX here and there.  On my 12th set of tires in 120,000 miles.  Very few modifications, really just brakes and AP2 wheels.  Started the S2000 Atlanta club which later merged with S2kCA.com.  I've driven a few 300+ Hp S2000's, your 500 Hp S2k must have been a monster.  Was your car reliable?  Many of the guys in the Atlanta area who were TC'd had nothing but problems.

I have a friend who owns a Honda/Acura repair shop in the area who has a 2004 AP2 with a Kraftwerks S/C, car is mostly stock otherwise, except for an upgraded clutch and wider tires.  He dyno'd 386 Hp at the wheels, probably the fastest, most reliable, modified S2000 I know of.  He clocked his 0-60 time using his Hondata ECU and his laptop at 3.8 sec.

2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

andyfloyd

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2015, 03:34:19 PM »
Beautiful car you have there. My setup was very reliable actually. I put 30k on the car when it was turboed. I love to tinker though and I did ask my own work so I could fix any issue that could arise. I ran the 1/4 mile in 11.5 @ 131mph. Was a rocketship.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2015, 03:37:44 PM »
11.5s in the quarter mile is impressive, particularly since an S2000 is not a straight line car.  I've only been to the dragstrip once in my car, 14.3s @99mph was my best run, but I was not willing to do a 6,000 rpm clutch drop.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2015, 09:36:02 PM »
Okay, another milestone.  Rode my Chiners today.  Just a few miles around the neighborhood but it felt good to get back on a mountain bike.  Weather was 54 deg, partly sunny, nice enough to go for a ride in the late afternoon after getting back home from physical therapy.

Not ready to hit the trails yet, but maybe in a few weeks when the weather warms up.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

cmh

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2015, 05:39:48 AM »
Okay, another milestone.  Rode my Chiners today.  Just a few miles around the neighborhood but it felt good to get back on a mountain bike.  Weather was 54 deg, partly sunny, nice enough to go for a ride in the late afternoon after getting back home from physical therapy.

Not ready to hit the trails yet, but maybe in a few weeks when the weather warms up.

Awww yeah, glad to hear it!

More than a little bit jealous of the 54 degrees, it's below zero here. :P

Patrick C.

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2015, 11:20:15 AM »
Don't be too jealous.  it's in the 30's here now, with freezing rain last night and more to come tomorrow.  I was out of town a lot for work, but I haven't ridden all month. :(

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2015, 03:55:35 PM »
Unfortunately for me I incurred an injury while mountain biking yesterday.  This time I have a broken collar bone.  X-rays show I broke it really good.  I won't know if I will need surgery for this break until Monday when I go see the orthopedist.  My right arm is in a sling right now, lots of swelling, bruising, and quite a bit of pain if I attempt to move my arm.  Hopefully I am in the 4-8 week recovery period if no surgery is required.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 04:00:42 PM by Carbon_Dude »
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

Patrick C.

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2015, 05:40:29 PM »
Damn! Sorry to hear that. Hope it heals completely with no surgery.