Author Topic: Durability of Carbon Fat Bike Rims- any feedback?  (Read 7696 times)

nmgoes

Durability of Carbon Fat Bike Rims- any feedback?
« on: December 10, 2014, 10:58:59 AM »
I just purchased some carbon fat bike rims from Velocarbon on ebay. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/First-Look-2015-Fatbike-Carbon-Wheelset-Tubeless-Clincher-Sram-XX1-Shimano-/221532092927?pt=US_Wheels_Wheelsets&var=&hash=item79293a09c3

They are 80mm wide- (I know some of you are running wider).

My local bike shop told me that these are really best suited for snow riding because they don't hold up to technical trail riding.  I live in very rocky and technical part of the country and was looking forward to using my fat bike build on the rocks.

Any feedback from any of you who have ridden carbon rims on technical trails?  I'm planning on running a Bluto 120mm fork in the front, but am not a light rider (205 lbs) so- am still a little concerned before banging up the rims.

davidriddel

Re: Durability of Carbon Fat Bike Rims- any feedback?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 11:24:56 PM »
I think that there are rocks, and then there are sharp rocks...  I have a second set of wheels with cheap tyres for my 26 Al FS for the trails behind my house because the sharp rocks slash the sidewalls.  I shudder to think of the expense of running fatty tyres over sharp rocks... 

Assuming that you don't want to contend with sharp rocks, then I would guess that running at higher than the very low pressures that fatties normally run at (8psi) should give some protection to the rims. It'll depend on your weight and aggressiveness.  No jumping though! ;-)

This link may help:
http://fat-bike.com/2013/03/fat-bike-101-tires/
N+2 change my Al CX to C
Also - Yoeleo 650B Dually YCMSF10 and Cyclocross for daughter
Progressively changing all family bikes to carbon-my effort to sequester China's carbon for climate change

nmgoes

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 01:47:26 PM »
Thanks D. 

That does help.  My concern isn't the sharp stuff so much as pounding on the rims.  I didn't plan on jumping it; but wouldn't shy away from a drop here and there.  I am running the Bluto 120mm up front and opted for the BFLs 4.7.

The project is coming together- I'm hoping the durability is there.

NMG

davidriddel

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 11:37:21 PM »
Please post a report once they are built, and you have some mikes on them,

Cheers
N+2 change my Al CX to C
Also - Yoeleo 650B Dually YCMSF10 and Cyclocross for daughter
Progressively changing all family bikes to carbon-my effort to sequester China's carbon for climate change

cmh

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 06:59:12 PM »
I just purchased some carbon fat bike rims from Velocarbon on ebay. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/First-Look-2015-Fatbike-Carbon-Wheelset-Tubeless-Clincher-Sram-XX1-Shimano-/221532092927?pt=US_Wheels_Wheelsets&var=&hash=item79293a09c3

They are 80mm wide- (I know some of you are running wider).

My local bike shop told me that these are really best suited for snow riding because they don't hold up to technical trail riding.  I live in very rocky and technical part of the country and was looking forward to using my fat bike build on the rocks.

Any feedback from any of you who have ridden carbon rims on technical trails?  I'm planning on running a Bluto 120mm fork in the front, but am not a light rider (205 lbs) so- am still a little concerned before banging up the rims.

+1 on wanting to hear how these work out for you. Got a fattie on order and I think one of the first upgrades is going to have to be a tubeless ready carbon wheelset. Also very close to the same setup/weight as you.

Can't say I'm too surprised that a bike shop poo-poo'ed these. If anything I'd think that I'd trust fattie carbon rims vs. standard MTB carbon rims because of all the cushion of the huge tires. Just watch out for rim strikes like with any wheelset.

FatbikeRacer

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 08:18:22 PM »
Just got done building up a pair of 65mm Nextie Black Eagle II, set up tubeless, with a SP Dynamo PD-8x front and DT-Swiss 350 (190x10 TA) rear, and so far so good. I use them for my single track to work at a downhill bike park with pretty rocky terrain on the descent into work from the upper ridge-line. I just run the tire pressure up a little than I normally would to protect the rims.
Trans Am Bike Race - 2015
West Elk Bicycle Classic - 2014, 2015
Double Triple Bypass - 2015
Mt. Evans Hill Climb - 2015
Cow Creek Classic - 2015
Hotter n Hell - 2014
Tour De Fuzz - 2014
Enchanted Circle Century - 2014
Bike MS Pedal to the Point - 2014