Author Topic: Consensus on replica frames ??  (Read 8964 times)

abedfo

Consensus on replica frames ??
« on: December 19, 2022, 10:57:53 AM »
Stumbled across a Fasterway "O2" frameset on ebay (2nd hand) and was curious what the consensus these days was on replicas. Has anyone any info on Fasterway?

Im curious as to what these frames are, are they knockoffs or do these guys actually make the frames for the legit company's.

Obviously usual chinarello caveats apply.

s3si1u

Re: Consensus on replica frames ??
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2022, 12:00:49 PM »
I'm currently lusting over an Ostro copy, so I won't say don't do it...but personally, I wouldn't buy a second hand fake. Maybe if it was from one of y'all who is trustworthy and has some insight on the quality and handling of the frame, but nah.

They're totally not real. Fasterway seems to specialize in copies.
Though they do have one that looks to be an original/open mold direct mount rim design that looks sweeet  8)
Instagram: @aerosloth

J0a_87

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2022, 01:55:15 PM »
I’ve seen them too. They look really nice but there are some things that seem off. Like the D-shaped steerer tube, but no decent expander plug? Also no detailed pictures or reviews as of yet..

Takiyaki

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2022, 03:11:40 PM »
IMO there are enough nice originals to not do this. It sucks because the Cervelo R5 is my dream bike. But I would never buy a replica frame

jarkacz

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2023, 12:59:32 AM »
if you were wondering what the fasterway from china looks like, here it is:

Froglover825

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2023, 06:27:02 PM »
if you were wondering what the fasterway from china looks like, here it is:
Is it the same mould? I remember chris miller mentioning that some chinese company that does direct to consumer had the factor moulds and would start selling them this year, people were saying ICAN tho.

Yunglord

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2023, 10:37:41 PM »
Is it the same mould? I remember chris miller mentioning that some chinese company that does direct to consumer had the factor moulds and would start selling them this year, people were saying ICAN tho.

This winter I rode with a guy with a legit Ostro and and his friend had a fasterway version and they are really similar externally however the fake one is about 400g heavier.

sbellote

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2023, 12:48:43 PM »
from what I understand, there are some different scenarios...
a. open mould frames, often different companies operating within the same factory and sharing moulds
b. replica moulds, reverse engineering to get to a frame design but with slight differences
c. counterfeit moulds, chinese factory manufactures for western brand, normally it's in the contract they should destroy the mould after the lifespan but it ends up continuing to be used - either the same factory or a friend/sister chinese company

If I remember correctly, it's Elves that produces (some?) Cervelo frames, I think that on some Francis Cade video he inspected the frame and it had some cervelo inner parts which indicated 'same component/same factory' situation. Or like this Ican/Factor situation below
I work in the home appliance industry and we go through similar stuff with our chinese suppliers/factories.

The thing that most people get wrong is that the manufacturing process and quality verification are much more important than the mould
if the chinese company just uses the same mould but has a shit process, then it's going to be a good looking frame but shit riding, and unreliable

that's not to piss on all replica frames, just that it's not that simple.. I honestly think that there are some companies that make replica's and could have a good process.. just that personally I prefer not to endorse and go with an open mould, for instance

Serge_K

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2023, 05:28:14 AM »
My 5 cents. Aero road bikes now look very similar, with maybe Trekk as an exception. Look at Spec, Cannondale, Scott, BMC, their aero all rounder road bikes look alike.
Henceforth, I'd say buy a velobuild type frame, like the 177. It's heavily inspired by current trends, but it doesnt parade as a knock off. It's illegal in most places afaik to buy fake goods, but you can't be blamed for buying proven engineering. Customize your frame however you want, but don't slap a Specialized logo on it.
I wouldn't buy a frame that is marketed as fake specialized or a fake pinarello, because it's illegal, and maybe more importantly, you shouldn't trust thieves & crooks, so why risk your life riding something crooked people sold you?
I also believe it is very clear that the fake frames are NOT the same as the real deal, they dont just happen to be extra units, all else equal, from the same production line. While that might happen sometimes, most of the time it's going to be different QC, materials, moulds, factories, and so on. 

jarkacz

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2023, 08:30:28 AM »
Ok so, I rode on bike about 1k kilometers (1150km). I dissasembly it 2 times. I didnt noticed cracking carbon of any parts inside or breaking (frame, handlebar, seatpost). BUT It has some paint scratches looks like carbon crack (seat post, seat tube). I check it many times and till now nothing change (good for me) - scratch are on outside side on paint.
The bike is very stiff, i dont feel that frame is flexible. Every parts from my previous bicycle fit well (crank, derailleurs, wheels). The frame is very difficult to mount due to internal cables and hydraulic brakes so have to be patient, have good tools and some skills, but i think its normal - in every type of internal routig frame (not only chinese version)

I bought frame from ali, size 56cm with handlebar 100x400 and glossy white paint, from seller that has shop from 2014 (7 years) and selling frames, handlebars and carbon parts. I bought it for about 750EUR with shipping.
I dont know how it works but when I add frame to basket it shows me 750EUR, but when I would like to pay for it the price changed to 600EUR. Maybe its VAT or some tax returned by law in EU. Next I added xdb shipping costs for EU for 150EUR, so overall 750EUR for frame back to my door.
Shipping lasted 3 weeks.

The package was very well protecded by foil, tape and sponge? in medium box.

Paint job is quite good. I rate it on 3 or 4 on 6 posiible (1-reprehensible, 6 perfect). The main varnish is very good and durable. But has some mistakes visible under the light, some black parts ale slightly smeared on white (thru axle mount), seat tube socket has too much paint (and its not harvested enough) and socket for screw seat tube is smeared on white too. Letters and logos are sharp and centered but I think they are not secured enough by scratching - should be additional transparent protective varnish. Seat tube socket doesnt have cover, so I had to doit by myself.

Frame has mounted perfect bottom bracket, the fork and back part of bike (rear triangle?) Its fits perfect with wheels and crankset. They are on position and central.

Steerer tube and seatpost tube has thick walls, maybe not perfect but strong enough. Seat tube looks like very durable and i think there is one layer with fiber glass (between are some spaces). Seat post has some paint crack looking strange, but when i checked it, it looks like its only paint crack.

With fork I get 2 aluminium overlapping spacers, 1 plastic spacers, 1 down pad with "ceramicspeed" logo (i dont know how its called) and 1 up pad, 3 aluminium upper rudder pads for compression, 2 headset bearings (up and down).
With seatpost I get additional clip for carbon rail of saddle

Handlebar is very good looking, like one piece made with stem, good finishing, with internal mount wire. There is garmin mount too with 2 bolts. Internal cables looks beautifull but mounting it is horrible...
There is a little disadvantage with stem. Mounting area is a little wider than should be, so when I put the handlebar on steerer tube, I had to remove some clearence with the stem bolts (i.e. should be 31.8mm and it is 31.9mm) and then remove clearence on head tube.

I sending some pictures below.
I have no time to respond for every email, im so sorry for that.
But sending pictures is simple so if U want more pictures, send me Ur email, maybe I try send u more :)

wolffcon

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2023, 01:46:12 AM »
Thanks for such a detailed review! What’s the tire clearance like? It looks pretty tight in the rear there.

jarkacz

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2023, 02:23:27 AM »
I have 28mm schwalbe one tubeless and this is max. There is about 2-4mm clearance, depends of pressure.

Serge_K

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2023, 09:39:40 AM »
Very nice, thank you for the feedback.
I can't see on your pics the paint cracks, so i guess that's good.
Having looked at Aliexpress recently, some sellers explain the VAT shenanigans to Europe. If i got it right, the price you see when shopping includes VAT by law, but when you checkout you dont pay it (I think the deal is that above a certain amount (i think 100 or 150 EUR), the VAT isn't forcibly charged). Then shipping is shipping.

How does the bike compare to your previous bike, how does it ride, are you happy?

Liter

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2023, 10:09:58 AM »
is there a replica of the Cervelo r5? would love to build a second bike with more traditional look, everyone is doing short seatstays these days.

Serge_K

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2023, 12:59:55 PM »
is there a replica of the Cervelo r5? would love to build a second bike with more traditional look, everyone is doing short seatstays these days.

Yes, you can type cervelo r5 frame in aliexpress and find such frames right away (1st i found was from the store "high quality carbon frameset store". Not exactly a confidence inspiring name). Then as you navigate among replicas (the SL7 being omnipresent), you'll see various postings or model options within a posting labelled only as "r5", which is what you're after. My issue is all these sellers seem to have very limited track record, if any at all.

Btw, the Tan Tan FM639 looks pretty similar without being a fake, doesnt it?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 01:07:57 PM by Serge_K »